Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 09:55 AM

394 posts, read 342,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That is because people still supidly semand single family homes, again they are a much poorer use of resources, and require more infastrucure $/resident than an apartment or condo tower, plus they render public transportation basically impossible and force people to use cars
Because everyone doesn't want what you want, they are stupid?... That's an odd point of view

I like rural, I like cars... Basically I like everything you don't. I don't like condo, I don't like apartment - however, I don't feel people that do want that are stupid.

The beauty of our country is - everyone doesn't have to do things the same way... We don't have a system that requires everyone to live the way someone else tells them to (although there are segments that are trying to change that )... That's something you're just going to have to come to terms with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Because everyone doesn't want what you want, they are stupid?... That's an odd point of view

I like rural, I like cars... Basically I like everything you don't. I don't like condo, I don't like apartment - however, I don't feel people that do want that are stupid.

The beauty of our country is - everyone doesn't have to do things the same way... We don't have a system that requires everyone to live the way someone else tells them to (although there are segments that are trying to change that )... That's something you're just going to have to come to terms with.
At least in this area, people with the suburban style, sfh preference in effect have forced their way onto everyone else here, by using government to try to block high rises, mass transit and other things which would make a denser, more sustainable, less car dependent city in favor of the status quo. So people such as myself have to be out there to advocate for progress or it will never happen.

Again, NYC is a historical example. There wasn't always high rises and mass transit there. But the city had to build up as land got more expensive, if Manhattam was still all 3 story brownstones, they would each go for millions of $ a piece. Look at the few sfh's still left in the City of Vancouver, land is so expensive due to high demand, that they go for over $1,000,000 each. That is our future if someone doesn't implement some more density, short of people leaving en masse

Old 07-30-2016, 12:19 PM

394 posts, read 342,935 times
Quote:
At least in this area, people with the suburban style, sfh preference in effect have forced their way onto everyone else here, by using government to try to block high rises, mass transit and other things which would make a denser, more sustainable, less car dependent city in favor of the status quo. So people such as myself have to be out there to advocate for progress or it will never happen.

Again, NYC is a historical example. There wasn't always high rises and mass transit there. But the city had to build up as land got more expensive, if Manhattam was still all 3 story brownstones, they would each go for millions of $ a piece. Look at the few sfh's still left in the City of Vancouver, land is so expensive due to high demand, that they go for over $1,000,000 each. That is our future if someone doesn't implement some more density, short of people leaving en masse
Again - we differ in our opinion and view of the future - and that's fine.

I'm not forcing my opinion on you - and I'm not trying to change yours... You should do the same.

Vote for what you believe in and if you arent satisfied, align yourself with like-minded people. That's what those of us fed up with CA are doing. In my humble opinion, that would be your best choice for happy living.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:35 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
NIMBYs have been overly vocal and pushy as far as stopping things like highrises and other things ... however, pushing any kind of living style (be it suburban, urban, rural, or whatever) is not the way to accomplish anything. Let the free market decide, and keep the government out of it. The Phoenix area has been a suburban styled mecca for a long time but that is slowly changing. There is more of demand than there used to be for higher density living and less commuting, but there will always be a demand for suburban styled living as well. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:46 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
NIMBYs have been overly vocal and pushy as far as stopping things like highrises and other things ... however, pushing any kind of living style (be it suburban, urban, rural, or whatever) is not the way to accomplish anything. Let the free market decide, and keep the government out of it. The Phoenix area has been a suburban styled mecca for a long time but that is slowly changing. There is more of demand than there used to be for higher density living and less commuting, but there will always be a demand for suburban styled living as well. Different strokes for different folks.
I tend to agree although I like the aggressive pushes being made by Phoenix and Tempe to build urban areas as of late.

Tempe just seems to be going for it with the lake, light rail, planned street car, the State Farm campus etc. I've enjoyed watching it. Same for Phoenix, getting an ASU campus and upgrading public transportation has been great. ASU has single handedly done more than the City Government could have to attract people to actually live down there.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:31 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post

What's not to love about common walls and hearing your neighbors use the can at 3 AM? Not to mention the smells of Indian food from the neighbors below and the domestic disputes from the angry couple . Yeah I'll stupidly take my single family detached home with a private yard and space between my neighbors. Darn I guess I don't get to ride a bus lol.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
What's not to love about common walls and hearing your neighbors use the can at 3 AM? Not to mention the smells of Indian food from the neighbors below and the domestic disputes from the angry couple . Yeah I'll stupidly take my single family detached home with a private yard and space between my neighbors. Darn I guess I don't get to ride a bus lol.
Considering I've lived in apartments for a fair bit, I haven't noticed one of these "complaints" you mention.

Anyways, I like your dig at public transit as well, not. Honestly, once a city/metro crosses the 2 million threshold, it is time to start building more density and more public transit. And Greater Phoenix has passed that point twice already.

I've tried explaining this, so I'll do it again. In major cities, if all that is focused on is low density, traffic will get worse, which will cause land values in the core to go up, and will create a domino effect (people priced out of the core move to the next ring out, raising those prices, and so on) if more low density sprawl is encouraged. And eventually, if gasoline goes to $10/gallon, like in Britain, unless you are retired, you won't be laughing then

My point is, for a small town or medium sized city, single family houses work. But in major cities, it creates a lot of problems, mainly traffic and inflationary prices

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
Yay....more people that know whats best for me..........

Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Yay....more people that know whats best for me..........
Really? I am only pointing out the flaws in suburban sprawl and automobile dependency, and how it seems you can do dense with public transit or you can do car oriented sprawl, but you can't seem to do both. So the snide sarcastic comment wasn't really called for

Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Considering I've lived in apartments for a fair bit, I haven't noticed one of these "complaints" you mention.

Anyways, I like your dig at public transit as well, not. Honestly, once a city/metro crosses the 2 million threshold, it is time to start building more density and more public transit. And Greater Phoenix has passed that point twice already.

I've tried explaining this, so I'll do it again. In major cities, if all that is focused on is low density, traffic will get worse, which will cause land values in the core to go up, and will create a domino effect (people priced out of the core move to the next ring out, raising those prices, and so on) if more low density sprawl is encouraged. And eventually, if gasoline goes to $10/gallon, like in Britain, unless you are retired, you won't be laughing then

My point is, for a small town or medium sized city, single family houses work. But in major cities, it creates a lot of problems, mainly traffic and inflationary prices
Thanks, my undergraduate degree was in Urban Planning/Development, I know all about cities. I'm still not in any hurry to get on a bus and if gas goes to $10/gallon that is what I will pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area