Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:43 AM

38 posts, read 32,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
I grew up in Chicago and lived there most of my life until almost 5 years ago. I also decided enough was enough with the weather (and traffic, lack of parking, high cost of living, etc) and moved out west. Between the beautiful weather and the scenery out here, I haven't looked back. You asked about the weather affecting your mood and I can tell you it definitely does. The fact that you might go a month without seeing the sun during Chicago winters is just depressing. I'm much happier with the sun out all the time.

That all said, I'm going to echo what some other posters have said about making sure you understand what a great city you're in already. If I was still 22, I might have a different opinion about the importance of the weather relative to the ability to live in a vibrant, walkable neighborhood with plenty of nightlife. I've been to cities of all sizes all over the country, and very few have what Chicago does. Roosevelt Row in downtown Phoenix is probably a very junior version of what Wicker Park used to be 15-20 years ago, but smaller and with less nightlife. Aside from that, Tempe is probably the only other area that is somewhat close to anything you might find in Lincoln Park or Wicker Park, and even that is debatable.

One question about where you're from... Are you from the city or the suburbs? If you're from the suburbs and that is more along the lines of your comfort level, then you'd probably be fine here. Phoenix is very suburban, and Old Town Scottsdale might be right up your alley. But if you're from the city and/or looking for a true urban experience while you're in your 20's, I'd probably steer you more toward Austin.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks for the detailed response Sergeant, I really appreciate it.

First, I'm ecstatic that the weather has a positive impact on your mood. I'm much happier when the sun is out, and imagine myself doing some kind of activity outside, no matter how hot it may be.

I appreciate you echoing how great of a nightlife/overall environment Chicago offers for a 22 year old. I am willing to sacrifice that, however, as I don't want to deal with another Chicago winter if I don't have to. I will be disappointed in myself thoroughly if I am a married 28 year old sitting at home in the winter with nothing to do, regretting deeply never trying to move to a warmer climate. For that reason I am willing to leave the vibrant Chicago neighborhoods.

I've grown up in the suburbs my entire life. I am comfortable here but do desire at least a somewhat urban environment that offers fun nightlife for an independent person just out of college. I'm getting the vibe that Austin, Tampa, and the LA area might be a better fit for me than Phoenix.

Thanks again for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 AM

445 posts, read 515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemm View Post
Thanks for the detailed response Sergeant, I really appreciate it.

First, I'm ecstatic that the weather has a positive impact on your mood. I'm much happier when the sun is out, and imagine myself doing some kind of activity outside, no matter how hot it may be.

I appreciate you echoing how great of a nightlife/overall environment Chicago offers for a 22 year old. I am willing to sacrifice that, however, as I don't want to deal with another Chicago winter if I don't have to. I will be disappointed in myself thoroughly if I am a married 28 year old sitting at home in the winter with nothing to do, regretting deeply never trying to move to a warmer climate. For that reason I am willing to leave the vibrant Chicago neighborhoods.

I've grown up in the suburbs my entire life. I am comfortable here but do desire at least a somewhat urban environment that offers fun nightlife for an independent person just out of college. I'm getting the vibe that Austin, Tampa, and the LA area might be a better fit for me than Phoenix.

Thanks again for your input.
Sure thing. It sounds like you thought this through, and if the weather truly is factor #1 than I would definitely urge you to get out of Dodge. Your 20's is the time to find your niche and try out new things/places, so go for it.

Tampa is pretty meh, but the weather will be great. LA has all the worst of Chicago but with much better weather. Personally, I loathe most parts of LA (I have to go there for work often), but I'll give you that there probably aren't many better cities for nightlife. The cost of living is ridiculous though...you'll be lucky to find a 1-br apartment that isn't in a dumpster fire of a neighborhood for less than $1,500-$1,800 a month. I'm sticking to Austin as my answer for you as it has the best combination of good weather, abundant nightlife, and affordability.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:25 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Brucemm, I wrote a reply, but somehow it got erased.

I'd recommend San Diego for your circumstances. The climate is better than Phoenix and it has more to offer for a young, single person I believe. You'd likely have to share an apt. with roommates because it's so expensive, but that's not a bad thing for someone your age. The beach communities there are loaded with people your age.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Hmmm. I didn't see San Diego on his list.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
Sure thing. It sounds like you thought this through, and if the weather truly is factor #1 than I would definitely urge you to get out of Dodge. Your 20's is the time to find your niche and try out new things/places, so go for it.

Tampa is pretty meh, but the weather will be great. LA has all the worst of Chicago but with much better weather. Personally, I loathe most parts of LA (I have to go there for work often), but I'll give you that there probably aren't many better cities for nightlife. The cost of living is ridiculous though...you'll be lucky to find a 1-br apartment that isn't in a dumpster fire of a neighborhood for less than $1,500-$1,800 a month. I'm sticking to Austin as my answer for you as it has the best combination of good weather, abundant nightlife, and affordability.

I appreciate your advice, and it does seem like Austin offers the best variety of those options. I am not certain yet that there will be a spot in the Austin office for the company. But if there is, it will be hard to say no to that!

Old 01-18-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Brucemm, I wrote a reply, but somehow it got erased.

I'd recommend San Diego for your circumstances. The climate is better than Phoenix and it has more to offer for a young, single person I believe. You'd likely have to share an apt. with roommates because it's so expensive, but that's not a bad thing for someone your age. The beach communities there are loaded with people your age.

From what I know right now, San Diego isn't an option. That could change though as the process continues and I would definitely say SD is a tier 1 option over Phoenix. Even though the cost of living there would be tough initially as I'm not making much money.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
do you really have to move (for the job)?......all you mention above (except for #1) is right there in one of the world's great cities!

but I know what you mean....big decision....pros and cons to every place.....be warned that Phx is not remotely as neighborhood-ish as Chicago....lower density, less tall buildings, very spread out....there are a few walkable 'hoods in the central areas of Phx, but nothing like the legendary neighborhoods of Chicago....

wherever you go, join meetups and similar to meet people....there are many more people out here who are non-natives than in Chicago and I think there are many 20-somethings chasing the dream, too
That's one of the things I love about Phoenix- people here are from all over! It adds a lot to the diversity of a city, I believe.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:35 AM

445 posts, read 515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemm View Post
From what I know right now, San Diego isn't an option. That could change though as the process continues and I would definitely say SD is a tier 1 option over Phoenix. Even though the cost of living there would be tough initially as I'm not making much money.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.
San Diego is an outstanding city. If it weren't so damn expensive, my wife and I would live there right now. Perfect weather, ocean, mountains close by, great nightlife, etc. If you can afford it, go for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area