Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 24,924 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move somewhere warm from the east coast, and I'm basically in the "analysis paralysis" phase. I've been seriously considering the Phoenix area specifically because of the climate (I absolutely despise the cold), as well as the affordability.

As a background, I'm 23 and self employed (so no commute to worry about), and looking for a 2BR up to ~$2k max. I'm deciding between either downtown Phoenix or very close to old town Scottsdale, and I think the decision is going to come down to two major factors: Walkability and nightlife/social. (I say very close to Old Town Scottsdale because there are some awesome apartments within my budget within a few minutes drive, but not so much actually in Old Town.)

My first question right now is how active is downtown Phoenix? Various threads make it seem dead especially for nightlife, but many of these threads were very old. I'm not a frequent partier, but I do enjoy clubs and bar hopping every couple weekends or so. Also, I've read that DT Phoenix is more urban, "hip", and artsy. Could someone maybe elaborate on that, if it's true at all?

Second, how's the walkability in DT Phoenix? Are there lots of restaurants, bars, clubs, to choose from that are walkable? For me, this is a more important factor as long as the social scene is at least decent. I want to live as close to the action as possible or else I know I'd just be a hermit. If I have to drive everywhere anyway, I'd probably get a nicer apartment just outside Old Town.

TL;DR: Scottsdale seems great, but I don't know enough about Downtown Phoenix's walkability and nightlife/social scene to decide whether it would be worth living there instead of just outside of Scottsdale.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 02:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,658,377 times
Scottsdale has lots of restaurants/bars/nightlife. A nice place. Ditto for Tempe.

Downtown Phoenix is getting better, although I'm not so sure about the walkability factor from where you might live. I'd live there. Actually, I did at one time, but slightly north of downtown. I ended up driving everywhere I went.

Actually, so long as you have a car it wouldn't be too hard to get around at night, no matter where you live.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:41 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,907,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post
I'm looking to move somewhere warm from the east coast,
Let me rephrase that for you: "Im looking to move somewhere hellishly hot from the east coast."

If you want warm, you go to San Diego or LA. Not Phoenix. That is, unless you enjoy 5+ months of 100-118 degree temps.

Old Town Scottsdale is the better choice. And by a million miles. Downtown here is kinda walkable, but downtown Scottsdale is much more so. If you can find a place near Old Town, youll really enjoy it.

Old Town Scottsdale is really the Valley's only happening scene, besides Mill Ave in Tempe. I personally dont like Mill Ave, its too close to the college for my tastes (read: bros n hos en masse). But, if you like the whole college town vibe, Tempe is awesome. Dont get me wrong, Old Town is full of bimbos and bros, too, but at least its a more mature scene.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Scottsdale has lots of restaurants/bars/nightlife. A nice place. Ditto for Tempe.

Downtown Phoenix is getting better, although I'm not so sure about the walkability factor from where you might live. I'd live there. Actually, I did at one time, but slightly north of downtown. I ended up driving everywhere I went.

Actually, so long as you have a car it wouldn't be too hard to get around at night, no matter where you live.
I'd imagine I'd like smack in the middle of Downtown, like near the convention center. For me, walkability would be most important for nightlife because ideally I'd be able to walk to bars and not have to get a ride between them. Or also just get a short uber ride to where they all are and walk between them.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,893,430 times
Quote:
I'd imagine I'd like smack in the middle of Downtown, like near the convention center. For me, walkability would be most important for nightlife because ideally I'd be able to walk to bars and not have to get a ride between them. Or also just get a short uber ride to where they all are and walk between them.
Downtown Downtown is a poorly planned mess. If you want to live in Central Phoenix your better bets are around 3rd St-3rd Ave; Filmore to McDowell, or then in Willo/Encanto. If you want to live without a car you'll want to be in Tempe since it has rail and rapid bus. Rail from Tempe to Downtown Phoenix is about 25min.

The area by the Convention Center, except city scape, isn't super pedestrian friendly and has a lot of large gaps in amenities. At night these gaps mean darkeness and isolation.

The best walkability you'll find in this area is in Downtown Tempe. Then followed by Scottsdale. They're both really good. Downtown Phoenix has walkability just North of Downtown, but Downtown itself isn't that great.

Then you mention nightlife, Scottsdale/Tempe blow Phoenix out of the water too. Scottsdale is more about clubbing, Tempe is more about bar hopping. Phoenix has a growing scene of craft beer types, but that's more of an afternoon activity.

Arts/Hip: Phoenix has a large urban art walk in the Roosevelt/Central area. A lot of re purposed older houses have been converted into small shops and urban art graffiti is encouraged in the area.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,596,298 times
IMO, in this order:

If you can squeeze the cost in your budget, check out 1BR + study rental at Camelview Village (nice floor plan, great location, nice complex, probably one or two available), move there for a year, and re-evaluate while living in the area. The location is perfect, the complex is ideal, and you would enjoy living within walking distance to Old Town. Or, look for something else within your budget as close to Old Town as possible, preferably not requiring driving. Scottsdale is really at the top of the nightlife list.

Downtown or along light rail just north of downtown (numerous options). Again, evaluate after being here for a year, then move if you figure out that you want to live elsewhere. There are plenty of bars, but it has a much different vibe. Lots of convention goers shape the activity downtown. Sometimes there is a lot, other times it's dead. The hotels have nice lounges too. Just north of downtown there is a ton of development. Light rail makes moving around easy. Plus it goes to Tempe if you want a more collegiate crowd. Or just get a car ride occasionally.

Tempe.

If you are moving where you must drive or get a car ride to nightlife, you might as well expand your horizons a little bit and look around. There are a lot of nice places to live.

Also, you will be driving no matter where you live. It's just a question of whether you have to drive to get to nightlife.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:09 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,138,833 times
I will chime in as I visit both areas frequently. I am a bit older than you so my opinions may differ but here goes:

Downtown Phoenix has made huge strides in the last few years, especially with the growth of the 2 universities. ASU is making a major expansion in downtown and UA also has added colleges there. But keep in mind that there is not a lot of affordable housing downtown so the students are often commuter students. There continues to be more "events" downtown, especially sporting events, which attract people. But again many leave after the event has ended. I like downtown Phoenix's future. It is starting to be cool and will get better, but most nights it is still not that exciting after dark.

Old Town Scottsdale is a more mature crowd, although to hear the complaints from the local residents you would not think so. I once had a young man (approx 19) tell me that everyone in downtown Scottsdale was "ancient". To him anyone over 25 was ancient. There is still probably more action on weekends in Scottsdale than Phoenix, as people come from all over the valley to meet there. On weekends you will get many ASU (Tempe) students in the bars. During the week you will get more tourists in Scottsdale. There actually is more available low cost housing within walking distance of Scottsdale. Lots of apartments, condos, small houses (especially south of Old Town) nearby.

The truth is, you probably can be comfortable in either place. At $2K per month you should be able to find housing in either spot. In fact for $2K a month you could buy a nice condo.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
IMO, in this order:

If you can squeeze the cost in your budget, check out 1BR + study rental at Camelview Village (nice floor plan, great location, nice complex, probably one or two available), move there for a year, and re-evaluate while living in the area. The location is perfect, the complex is ideal, and you would enjoy living within walking distance to Old Town. Or, look for something else within your budget as close to Old Town as possible, preferably not requiring driving. Scottsdale is really at the top of the nightlife list.

Downtown or along light rail just north of downtown (numerous options). Again, evaluate after being here for a year, then move if you figure out that you want to live elsewhere. There are plenty of bars, but it has a much different vibe. Lots of convention goers shape the activity downtown. Sometimes there is a lot, other times it's dead. The hotels have nice lounges too. Just north of downtown there is a ton of development. Light rail makes moving around easy. Plus it goes to Tempe if you want a more collegiate crowd. Or just get a car ride occasionally.

Tempe.

If you are moving where you must drive or get a car ride to nightlife, you might as well expand your horizons a little bit and look around. There are a lot of nice places to live.

Also, you will be driving no matter where you live. It's just a question of whether you have to drive to get to nightlife.
I considered Tempe, but from what I've seen it seems like it has significantly more crime:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...uburbs-in.html

And just the other day someone got murdered at a traffic light. Are there specific parts of Tempe that are the main cause of a lot of crime, with others being safe? Just poking around in Google street view, downtown Tempe looks exactly like what I'm looking for in terms of a cool walkable town, but it seems like there aren't any upscale apartments around.

Last edited by Schopenhauer; 01-21-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 05:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,893,430 times
Quote:
I considered Tempe, but from what I've seen it seems like it has significantly more crime:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...uburbs-in.html

And just the other day someone got murdered at a traffic light. Are there specific parts of Tempe that are the main cause of a lot of crime, with others being safe? Just poking around in Google street view, downtown Tempe looks exactly like what I'm looking for in terms of a cool walkable town, but it seems like there aren't any upscale apartments around.
It was a road rage incident, crazy people can be had anywhere, the lady that did that was actually found in Mesa.

Tempe is safe, IMO most crime in the Phoenix area is domestic or between people who know each other. Add to that that everybody and their mom/child/grandmother is packin heat.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,687,603 times
Downtown Phoenix wins by a landslide in my opinion, check it out on walkability.com and you'll see it's by far the most walkable part of the metro area and also the most up and coming urban area in the region. I'd live down there in a second if I had the option to right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area