Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 03:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,064 times

Advertisements

As a Phoenix native myself, I can relate to the things that have been mentioned here, in fact, they got me laughing. Wow, I never thought that being a Phoenix native can be fun and amusing. I'm new here by the way, my name is Myron. Hi guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myronmessinger View Post
As a Phoenix native myself, I can relate to the things that have been mentioned here, in fact, they got me laughing. Wow, I never thought that being a Phoenix native can be fun and amusing. I'm new here by the way, my name is Myron. Hi guys!
Hi and welcome, Myron!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:11 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
when I see tourists they look at me and laugh when its in the 70s and I'm wearing a hoodie. 60s, and I'm wearing a beanie, 50s, and I'm wearing long johns, and gloves.. Once it gets in the 40s I wear a full head covering ski mask (even when I run).. but when its 110 out, I'm still wearing jeans.
I love it!
Arizona, some good things, warm days, no daylight savings time! It is the only sate where one may have a summer place in the same state. Thinking of Flagstaff.

It can be cold at night in winter.

When I was looking out there one time, it seemed few places were out by themselves. Most of what I seen for sale were homes packed into subdivisions. Maybe there is space in smaller towns?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 AM

163 posts, read 206,964 times
I've been out here for almost 2 years and am dating a Phoenix native. It's funny how I'll be in shorts and a t shirt and sweating and she'll be wearing a sweater.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
57-year Phoenix native here.

Some things that stick out about long-timers:

- Rhapsodize about the great way swamp coolers made your home smell.

- Remember drinking from the run-off hoses as a kid.

- Remember finding those weird little crawdads in your yard when they did the old-style irrigation that flooded your lawn.

- Bought at least one item of clothing and one firearm from Yellow Front.

- Not only remember and enjoyed Legend City, will talk at length about how the "older" Legend City attractions were better than the "newer" Legend City rides.

- Pronounce "sieve" as "seev" rather than "siv", and tend to pronounce "iron" as "I-ron" rather than "I'urn." I don't know why, but I've noticed this in people who lived here a long time.

- Don't want to hear from Californians and Easterners about how things were better where they fled from and how things should be like that here.
Good list, I'll add a few.
Speaking of crawdads, swimming in the canals as kids was common.
T.G.&Y. was like Target, one stop shopping, especially when sandwiched between a Fry's and Thrifty.
You miss "Smitty's" pizza.
Legend City was a replacement for a REAL Disneyland trip.
Winter wear was a jacket over summer clothes and socks with flip flops. Or, on a real cold day you'd just wear those slippers to the store because they cover your toes.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-16-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Natives seem to be better prepared for the summertime heat and monsoon season.

They park their cars in as much shade as possible and use potholders to open the doors and operate the steering wheel.

Natives use poolcovers in July when the first monsoon storm hits to prevent dirt, leaves, and other debris from ruining their pools.

They go on and on about how much better Phoenix used to be when it was a smaller city and they like to blame transplants for making it too big, dirty, and congested.
LMAO,,,,we do not.....

Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
when I see tourists they look at me and laugh when its in the 70s and I'm wearing a hoodie. 60s, and I'm wearing a beanie, 50s, and I'm wearing long johns, and gloves.. Once it gets in the 40s I wear a full head covering ski mask (even when I run).. but when its 110 out, I'm still wearing jeans.
Temps in the 50s feel cold to me but long pants/long sleeve shirt is more than enough. My core body temp runs on the warmer side so what you're describing wearing makes me sweat just reading the details.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
LMAO,,,,we do not.....

It's all tongue in cheek but at least you have a sense of humor.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,412 times
My Grandpa is 85 and lived in Phoenix from age 7 to 15 or so. He says he remembers sleeping outside on the back patio at night. They'd use sheets hanging down and would wet them periodically and blow fans through them for a makeshift swamp cooler.

My great-grandpa was here before that and lived here most his life. Don't know much of his story, but he said that when he first drove into town from Ohio, people had to use wooden boards to drive on top of to get through the desert with their cars.

I think he said population was 35,000 at that point. Might be wrong about that though. Also said when the AC was invented is when the population really started to grow.

The way you could tell my GG was a native was he always wore a 3 piece suit with a bolo neck tie with a scorpion in it. Even in the heat. Drove with all his windows rolled up too.

Last edited by zonaari; 02-16-2016 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area