U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM

47 posts, read 183,358 times

Advertisements

My husband cleans pools, we are thinking of moving to Arizona, is there a flood of pool cleaners in the gilbert/chandler area? I know that there are many homes with pools, just wondering if the demand is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,743,849 times
There are many. Just do an online yellow page search for pool cleaning in the cities you're interested in. Personally, I've always taken care of my own pools, but I know some people are just clueless or lazy (I'm sorry, too busy to do it themselves).

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM

9,138 posts, read 9,926,596 times
No, I think the pool cleaners have a monopoly here. There aren't many of them relative to the population and most of them don't do what they promise. A lot of pool companies charge $80 to $100 per month to do a weekly pool service. They are supposed to come once a week and provide chemicals, empty your baskets, scrub the sides of the pool and skim the surface of the pool for any debris. They are supposed to backwash your pool once or twice a month.

What ends up happening is they will sometimes not show up. They will only empty the baskets and check the chemicals but not scrub the sides of the pool or clean the debris of the pool with their net like they are supposed to. They will not backwash the pool. These pool companies have so many clients and their pools guys will cut corners or not show up knowing the homeowners are usually not home and will never know if they arrive. I've been through 3 pool companies and I've finally found one that is honest and actually does the job they promise to do. Sure, they all promise the world in the beginning but once you start using them, they get lazy and cut corners.

If you are an honest person and will provide friendly service and simply do what you promise, you will be extremely successful here. I'm a physician and there are tons of physicians here but there are not many quality physicians who provide good customer service, have a staff that treats patients well and show up on time to their patients' appointments. I don't mean to brag but I haven't accepted new patients for 2 years because I'm full. Like with anything in life, quality is hard to come by, quantity is not a problem. The same applies to pool guys. Most of them are terrible and lazy here. Good ones are hard to come by.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-28-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 AM

5,148 posts, read 1,799,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssp02 View Post
My husband cleans pools, we are thinking of moving to Arizona, is there a flood of pool cleaners in the gilbert/chandler area? I know that there are many homes with pools, just wondering if the demand is there.
Well, there are a ton of them, but none that I found to be any good. I went through four of them, and none of them seemed to do much more than through chlorine tablets in there. I had a pebble tech pool, and if you don't scrub it it gets black algae. It was a pain.

If you are good, reliable, honest and speak English...I'd think you have a shot to make it out here. If you are those 4 things, I think you could charge a little more, and word of mouth definitely spreads.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,180 times
Great advice Sizzle! I think you must focus to this question : can we compete with other pool cleaning company?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,755,981 times
I'm on my 4th pool guy in a year. I do my own cleaning and general maint., but sometimes need help with repairs. The one guy who was very helpful just disappeared, stopped returning voicemails or emails, didn't show when he said he would. Never saw him again. Next guy came out to do an estimate, I told him to go ahead with the job, he said he had to go get materials and would be back in a few hours. Never heard from or saw him again. Vm's and emails unanswered. Next guy seems to be a keeper. Not cheap, but I needed help and he got it done. A lot of these guy have upwards of 90-100 customers. There's no way they can honestly hit each one once per week for cleanings, even if they didn't do occasional repairs.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM

16 posts, read 21,577 times
They will only empty the baskets and check the chemicals but not scrub the sides of the pool or clean the debris of the pool with their net like they are supposed to. They will not backwash the pool. These pool companies have so many clients and their pools guys will cut corners or not show up knowing the homeowners are usually not home and will never know if they arrive. I've been through 3 pool companies and I've finally found one that is honest and actually does the job they promise to do. Sure, they all promise the world in the beginning but once you start using them, they get lazy and cut corners.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,887,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssp02 View Post
Does your husband want to work for a company or have his own business? If he's looking to join an existing company he should have no problems finding a job. I spent a little bit of time with one company and was told the turn around was large and they were always looking for qualified guys. I quit because the money was not good compared with the amount of work I had to do.

I worked for a large pool cleaning company but I have seen a few trucks on the road and business cards for smaller companies. It's probably an uphill battle but if that's what your husband wants to do it's not impossible.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM

183 posts, read 251,056 times
Just by conservative math, if you charge $80, at 40 customers a week (8 day), that's $153,600.
I have no idea what pool chemicals cost, but that seems like a good business if you just promise to do what you say.
It sounds like azriverfan is totally on point with his philosophy.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 AM

275 posts, read 310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ bound View Post
Just by conservative math, if you charge $80, at 40 customers a week (8 day), that's $153,600.
I have no idea what pool chemicals cost, but that seems like a good business if you just promise to do what you say.
It sounds like azriverfan is totally on point with his philosophy.
Your math would be correct if they charged $80 per week. In reality, they charge $80 per month or sometimes higher..all depending. Thereby making it $38,400.

There are many in the business, but like stated above, many do not do a quality job.

If you are knowledgeable, prompt, courteous, and do quality work, you should have no problem at all.

I have security cameras and I can watch my pool man do his work when I am not there. I find him highly reliable and doing a great job.....every time.

Best of luck,

Last edited by madmmac; 08-01-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area