Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:18 PM

133 posts, read 148,747 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking it might be time to relearn the skills our ancestors held for millennia, such as growing, raising, and hunting my own food.

Where should I look, locally, to find people who might be able to coach me? I have no idea what kinds of plants or animals thrive in the area. For example, we have cottontails, but can they be raised at home? What edible plants can be grown in a backyard? What/when can we hunt? Stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Zoning regulations can impact what you can have on your property in terms of animals that would be raised for food. The kind of wild jackrabbits you see out there are not the kind you would want to raise in your yard for food. You can grow vegetables in the back yard here (not all of them work, but some people with green thumbs and lots of time on their hands to basically create whole new soil for their garden, in raised beds or otherwise, have good luck. ) Info on the various hunting seasons can be found on the Arizona Game and Fish Department website.

The only people I knew who raised a good portion of what they ate lived far out of the Valley. I still think what's been suggested to you in other threads by other people is true. Where you want to be, for all your various needs and concerns, is not in the metro area, including Vistancia or any other subdivision you might be looking at.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:25 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Valley Permaculture Alliance and the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension can help with raising (chicken coops) and growing (backyard gardens). I think you'll have to seek other sources for guidance on hunting:

Valley Permaculture Alliance - home

https://extension.arizona.edu/

Old 01-25-2016, 06:39 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
In addition to rabbits, don't forget pigeons. It's not like there's a shortage in the valley. Better learn to cook tho.

Gardening and/or raising food animals requires an investment of time. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:47 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
And don't forget to read the rules of the HOA for that house you just rented. I'm betting a lot of the backyard farming and barnyard animals aren't allowed.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And don't forget to read the rules of the HOA for that house you just rented. I'm betting a lot of the backyard farming and barnyard animals aren't allowed.

Good point. Another reason why people who do this sort of thing are, at closest, on the very outskirts of the metro area.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Good point. Another reason why people who do this sort of thing are, at closest, on the very outskirts of the metro area.
...or in older neighborhoods built before HOAs became popular. When Valley Permaculture Alliance holds its annual Tour de Coops, I'm amazed at how many of the stops are in Central Phoenix. Many of these neighborhoods also have SRP irrigation, which makes vegetable gardens and fruit trees easier to maintain. Where I think you'll see the least of this is in the wide ring of newer suburban development that accounts for most of the region.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 AM

98 posts, read 363,088 times
A good start-purchase books and/or take a few classes on the subject-Cody Lundin is a Prescott local and he runs a good school (Aboriginal Living Skills School). Another good school/instructor is Ancient Pathways in my town-Flagstaff. Tony Nester is the head instructor. Both instructors have written informative books and/or can recommend reading materials (on their websites).
I've a been a student of the Outdoors all my life and I learn something new every day... Start to hunt, fish, grow your food and you will be on your journey. It is not rocket science, but it is very tough to live on what you grow/hunt. I do not purchase store bought meat of any kind (hunt elk, deer,turkey, etc.). Saves quite a bit money and I have not had a cold in five years-go figure?? Vegetables are a different issue when one lives in the snow country. I pickle/can vegetables and that helps.
Make friends with like minded people and you will learn fast. I was fortunate to meet & become close friends with Navajo hunters and for the past several years they have taught me an unbelievable amount on how to live on/with "Mother Earth".
Website that you might find to be of interest: www.bushcraftusa.com
Good luck with your journey!

Last edited by Mt.Mahn; 01-25-2016 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
...or in older neighborhoods built before HOAs became popular. When Valley Permaculture Alliance holds its annual Tour de Coops, I'm amazed at how many of the stops are in Central Phoenix. Many of these neighborhoods also have SRP irrigation, which makes vegetable gardens and fruit trees easier to maintain. Where I think you'll see the least of this is in the wide ring of newer suburban development that accounts for most of the region.

Vegetables and fruit wouldn't run afoul of most HOAs either. It's the poultry and animals that would be an issue.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Vegetables and fruit wouldn't run afoul of most HOAs either. It's the poultry and animals that would be an issue.
Unless you're using raised beds that can be seen from the street. Otherwise, if it's in the backyard, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area