Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 12:16 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,416,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Snowbirds buy 2nd homes here, pay real estate taxes, gas taxes, retail store taxes and contribute much more into the economy than you realize.
Yep, big $:

Tracking snowbirds' financial impact in Valley tricky

"The last reliable study of their impact was conducted by Arizona State University more than 10 years ago as part of an annual project that ASU started in the 1980s. The last study, conducted after the 2003-04 visitor season, estimated the state's seasonal population swelled by about 300,000 long-term visitors, with a spending impact of $1 billion."

Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,719,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It's popcorn time!

Old 01-28-2016, 01:28 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,611,557 times
This is a ridiculous argument. Anyone who buys gas in this country contributes to the gas tax, which is then redistributed to every state. Bottom line: people have the right to drive where they want, when they want, and should not be made to feel guilty for doing so. Who cares where the snowbirds are heading during rush hour? You live in a major city. People are going in every direction for their own individual reasons. Snowbirds have every right to be out where it's on the westbound 60 freeway in Mesa at 7 AM or heading northwest on Grand Avenue at 5 PM.

With the state's economy huffing and puffing along, everyone in this state should be bowing at the feet of people who spend money here. The money that people spend during the winter often keeps those same businesses open during the summer when the snowbirds leave. Claiming that they drive up the wait time at a restaurant at 6 PM is a little asinine when it's their money that keeps the restaurant afloat.

If people don't like so much snowbird traffic, live closer to work or adjust your hours. If you need to leave at 4 AM, so be it. Traffic is only going to get worse as more people move here, including winter visitors. Stop being so possessive. You don't own Phoenix just because you're a oldtimer or a native. You're nothing special.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:22 AM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Someone, anyone please chime in as to WHY OH WHY do I see snowbirds (yes actually snowbirds, not young people that may have moved here) clogging up the freeways during rush hour??

Snowbirds you're welcome to chime in as well. A snowbird (unless there is an emergency) has NO reason to be on the freeway during morning and evening rush hour. I know I sound like a pompous jerk, but SERIOUSLY I see a TON of snowbirds during the rush hours! What is the deal? You can do your doctor visits, grocery shopping and whatever else you do OUTSIDE of those times.

Please do us 9 to 5ers a favor and stay off the road during these times. It would be much appreciated.

/rant
I understand this line of thought. You're heading to your job and you deserve a clear road.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM

9,668 posts, read 11,025,773 times
Quote:
Someone, anyone please chime in as to WHY OH WHY do I see snowbirds (yes actually snowbirds, not young people that may have moved here) clogging up the freeways during rush hour??

Snowbirds you're welcome to chime in as well. A snowbird (unless there is an emergency) has NO reason to be on the freeway during morning and evening rush hour. I know I sound like a pompous jerk, but SERIOUSLY I see a TON of snowbirds during the rush hours! What is the deal? You can do your doctor visits, grocery shopping and whatever else you do OUTSIDE of those times.

Please do us 9 to 5ers a favor and stay off the road during these times. It would be much appreciated.

/rant
My commute is from the master bedroom to the office. Here is my message. Why not do your part and stay the H_ll off the roads during rush hour? You help jam the roads and put more smog in the air. Be smart. Work from home. Figure out a way. If you cannot figure it out because you don't have the tools or creativity, then tell your boss that you need to work from 3AM to noon so that you can stop being part of the problem. Some people cannot do this. I understand. But either move closer to work or get off the roads during rush hour as you are part of the problem.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 01-28-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 08:26 AM

9,668 posts, read 11,025,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

There is nothing wrong with hoping or wishing a snowbird would somehow use that same obvious logic when planning their day. I was still contributing to the local economy, as many claim the snowbirds do (and we should be soooo grateful). I was just doing it at a different time of day that MADE SENSE. I think that is the point of this whole thread. No one is saying they shouldn't or can't or whatever, just that it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
I've used that logic my whole live (snowbird or not). I do my best to stay as far away from traffic as possible. It's a frustrating waste of time. rational people behave that way. It isn't for the betterment of man kind but rather self serving: I don't like traffic. Furthermore, I don't give a darn if I slow you up because I HAD to drive in rush hour. The reality is your only additional right by living here full time is you get to vote in AZ. So more over and make room!

The long commuters are a bigger problem. People move out to Queen Creek and Surprise and commute for 40 miles more-often-than not with a single person in the car. Sure, they saved money on a house. But instead they are frying up time, gas, and depreciating their car. While we are discussing this, the people who don't car pool are part of the problem too. Inconvenience yourself and carpool for the sake of timothyaw (OP).

Why people want to rot in the car almost 30% of their waking day (an hour to work and another hour home) is beyond me. Work at home, car pool, modify your schedule or move. That's the solution. It seems you too are part of the problem.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yep, big $:

Tracking snowbirds' financial impact in Valley tricky

"The last reliable study of their impact was conducted by Arizona State University more than 10 years ago as part of an annual project that ASU started in the 1980s. The last study, conducted after the 2003-04 visitor season, estimated the state's seasonal population swelled by about 300,000 long-term visitors, with a spending impact of $1 billion."
I'm not complaining but I'm also not going to be P.C. and not admit the obvious. The snowbirds most definitely add to the congestion on the freeways and in the summer, it lightens up considerably when they leave. And it's the same phenomenon in Florida.

But yeah, they can pretty much do whatever they want considering they keep our economy afloat. LOL

Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

The long commuters are a bigger problem. People move out to Queen Creek and Surprise and commute for 40 miles more-often-than not with a single person in the car. Sure, they saved money on a house. But instead they are frying up time, gas, and depreciating their car. While we are discussing this, the people who don't car pool are part of the problem too. Inconvenience yourself and carpool for the sake of timothyaw (OP).
People live in different parts of the Valley for a reason. A big reason is housing is cheaper. If you are someone who doesn't have a lot of money and doesn't want to live in a shanty in a bad neighborhood in a more central location, you move to places like Queen Creek. They are not living their by choice. It's pretty much due to necessity. I don't blame people for doing that. Put yourself in their situation. They want inexpensive housing in a nice new clean suburb that is safe and has decent schools; guess what you are going to move to places like Surprise and Queen Creek.

But in defense of snowbirds, a lot of them are not like you think. A lot of snowbirds are grandparents who moved here to help take care of their families. Yeah, their kids are using their poor old folks LOL They are driving their grandkids to school and taking them to activities while their parents work. So that's a big reason why they are on the roads. Not all are rich couples who buy a house in Sun City West and just golf all day LOL

Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,214,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My commute is from the master bedroom to the office. Here is my message. Why not do your part and stay the H_ll off the roads during rush hour? You help jam the roads and put more smog in the air. Be smart. Work from home. Figure out a way. If you cannot figure it out because you don't have the tools or creativity, then tell your boss that you need to work from 3AM to noon so that you can stop being part of the problem.

Not every job allows you to work from home, obviously, so this advice isn't really helpful. It isn't about not being able to be creative. Heck, some jobs require you to be in your car (sales, for example). If everyone could work from home, or "tell their boss they need to work from 3 AM to noon" the snowbirds would have the roads to themselves! You are lucky to have the luxury of working from home. A majority of the population does not have that luxury.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:
I know I sound like a pompous jerk

You got that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area