Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:04 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
LOL I had to chuckle just a little at the OP. I thought I was alone in this rather dark, and granted completely unfair, but real feeling/observation I have sometimes as well. Only in my case, it's the lunch hour when I am trying to run an errand or two that seems clogged with people who, in my mind, have ALL DAY to be out and about and should really let those of us productive and working get our lunch hours over before they head out to do things like, oh, take 10 minutes to pick out just the perfect "stamps" at the Post Office (just happened today), etc.......
In a general sense, it probably wouldn't be as bad if they drove an appropriate speed or went about their business quickly.

And picking out the perfect stamps could be 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour if kids enter the conversation.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Snowbirds don't contribute to the economy? I think you're wrong on that.
Sure in tourism and services but that's no way to run an economy. Shouldn't we value Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers time and their economic impacts over Walgreens, services etc?

Old 01-27-2016, 05:10 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
This has been educational. I am retired, but not a snowbird, have lived here for a long time. I try not to get up early enough in the morning that rush hour would be an issue, but I had no idea that I was a second class citizen, whose presence on the roads (that my tax money have paid for all these years) was frowned upon during certain hours. The thing you learn on the internet!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
This has been educational. I am retired, but not a snowbird, have lived here for a long time. I try not to get up early enough in the morning that rush hour would be an issue, but I had no idea that I was a second class citizen, whose presence on the roads (that my tax money have paid for all these years) was frowned upon during certain hours. The thing you learn on the internet!
You gotta love what strangers on the Internet will argue about.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

Lol...I was just thinking that maybe the OP should spend a few MILLION of his own money. Then he'll be able to dictate who,what,where and when they can drive on it. Until then I'll drive on any road anytime I please as my tax dollars have paid for them!

Here's a thought OP... Do you think the snowbirds like driving on the roads with all you commuters clogging them up? I mean they have to get to the golf courses,Drs apts.,bridge games and early bird specials. Yup,sounds just as ridiculous as your rant.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Sure in tourism and services but that's no way to run an economy. Shouldn't we value Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers time and their economic impacts over Walgreens, services etc?

You might want to ask some of the those doctors how they feel about old people. In states like AZ and FL that's their bread and butter.

Or the people who work in service industry jobs such as servers who make their money again in the winter time in AZ and FL.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 PM

404 posts, read 480,313 times
Ever been in Chicago rush hour traffic in January? Traffic sucks there, too and the snowbirds have already left for Phoenix. Time for a reality check, cupcake.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:15 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
NO, they DO indeed ADD to the already clogged freeways. Moderator cut: . It's simply ridiculous. Yes they are free to use the freeway anytime they want to. But I don't understand WHY they would want to do their oldies activities in the traffic.

If I was retired, the LAST thing I would do is venture out during RUSH HOUR to do my granny activities. How about venturing out during the MIDDLE of the day during the week??
What a condescending, miserable attitude you have. Sorry your life is so bad. I drive all over the Valley, 30k miles a year at all times of the day. I am not in a hurry ever, nor do I hold up traffic. I do not let things like this bother me. Who am I or any of you to tell people when they should use our freeway system? Your life is no more important than theirs. Your schedule isn't either. Deal with it, it is not that bad. Honestly, I am more annoyed with people that swerve in and out of traffic in an effort to save two minutes than I am with any snowbird. Try to find a better cause, you have no control over this.

Last edited by SMG; 01-27-2016 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 08:43 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
I believe we all have this general understanding about snowbirds in Arizona. We realize they come here from colder areas. We know what they do for our economy. We basically appreciate them and tolerate them, as they most likely do us.

However, the OP needs to understand that not all snowbirds are old people. Also, not all old people on the roads are snowbirds.

He also might not realize that he has parents and/or grandparents who are old. Other family, friends and neighbors are old. Teachers who taught him as a child are old. People on this earth are either young or old, depending on where one draws the line.

The OP seems to have a problem with anyone older than himself.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Snowbirds buy 2nd homes here, pay real estate taxes, gas taxes, retail store taxes and contribute much more into the economy than you realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area