U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:15 PM

95 posts, read 88,474 times

Advertisements

I'm currently talking with a company about a job out there. The office is in north Glendale off W. Bell road.

From looking at Google Maps and Craigslist/Zillow, it looks like I should be able to (hopefully) find a temporary rental home in either Sun City or Surprise. I'm a single guy so no concerns about schools, but I do worry about commute and crime.

It looks like, for the most part, it would be a straight shot on Bell Rd. all the way to the office from either city. From the traffic reports I'm seeing, Bell Rd doesn't look to be too congested either, but it does seem like a rather "slow" commute since the speed limit is 45mph for 10+ miles.

Does this plan sound OK? Are Sun City and Surprise fairly safe areas to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:01 PM

4,823 posts, read 1,887,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
I'm currently talking with a company about a job out there. The office is in north Glendale off W. Bell road.

From looking at Google Maps and Craigslist/Zillow, it looks like I should be able to (hopefully) find a temporary rental home in either Sun City or Surprise. I'm a single guy so no concerns about schools, but I do worry about commute and crime.

It looks like, for the most part, it would be a straight shot on Bell Rd. all the way to the office from either city. From the traffic reports I'm seeing, Bell Rd doesn't look to be too congested either, but it does seem like a rather "slow" commute since the speed limit is 45mph for 10+ miles.

Does this plan sound OK? Are Sun City and Surprise fairly safe areas to live in?
Depends on your age. Both are safe communities. Taken Sun City and Surprise as a whole you tend to, but not exclusively, have either young families or retirees in these areas. So that's up to you if that's something you like then you will find it a nice quiet and peaceful place to live. As a young person (who lived in Surprise as a young person albeit a very different Surprise than the current one), Surprise doesn't have a lot of young or singles types of activities. It has some but not a lot. For a frame of reference, Surprise approved golf cart lanes in certain arteries.

So to answer, this is fine if you like the idea of either a family friendly suburb/ nice adult 55+oriented retirement focused community.

As for the commute down Bell, it is a very slow commute. Bell is one of the most, if not the most, major and congested surface streets in Arizona, it's almost just a freeway with stoplights, lots of stoplights.

I'm not sure of exactly where on Bell Rd. in Northern Glendale, that is a pretty long stretch you are describing but that will actually matter, Surprise to Arrowhead Mall along Bell can take between 15-40 minutes depending on the time of day.

Do you have anywhere else in mind? You could probably get into Northern Glendale/Peoria at a comparable price with the same level of 'niceness' for a shorter commute and more amenities.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Depends on your age. Both are safe communities. Taken Sun City and Surprise as a whole you tend to, but not exclusively, have either young families or retirees in these areas. So that's up to you if that's something you like then you will find it a nice quiet and peaceful place to live. As a young person (who lived in Surprise as a young person albeit a very different Surprise than the current one), Surprise doesn't have a lot of young or singles types of activities. It has some but not a lot.

So to answer, this is fine if you like the idea of either a family friendly suburb/ nice adult 55+oriented retirement focused community.

As for the commute down Bell, it is a very slow commute. Bell is one of the most, if not the most, major and congested surface streets in Arizona, it's almost just a freeway with stoplights, lots of stoplights.

I'm not sure of exactly where on Bell Rd. in Northern Glendale, that is a pretty long stretch you are describing but that will actually matter, Surprise to Arrowhead Mall along Bell can take between 15-40 minutes depending on the time of day.

Do you have anywhere else in mind? You could probably get into Northern Peoria/Glendale at a comparable price with the same level of 'niceness' for a shorter commute and more amenities.
Thank you for the feedback.

To better pinpoint the location, the office is at W. Bell Rd and N. 59th Ave.

I'm not opposed to living anywhere else that is relatively crime free, if it means I can get a quicker commute to work. I guess I picked Surprise initially because the rental costs seemed a bit lower.

In terms of being young and single, I much prefer a quiet family oriented neighborhood. If everyone is in bed by 8PM then that's just great in my eyes.

I suppose I can also look at the areas north of the 101? Scottsdale would most likely be out of my price range for now (if one can even find rentals there).

Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 PM

4,823 posts, read 1,887,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
Thank you for the feedback.

To better pinpoint the location, the office is at W. Bell Rd and N. 59th Ave.

I'm not opposed to living anywhere else that is relatively crime free, if it means I can get a quicker commute to work. I guess I picked Surprise initially because the rental costs seemed a bit lower.

In terms of being young and single, I much prefer a quiet family oriented neighborhood. If everyone is in bed by 8PM then that's just great in my eyes.

I suppose I can also look at the areas north of the 101? Scottsdale would most likely be out of my price range for now (if one can even find rentals there).
From Surprise that could be a long commute, but it won't always be.

Since you like quiet and that style, you might like areas north of the 101, but generally west of 59th Ave or so. Surprise is largely and generally homogenus in style and from neighborhood to neighborhood. Surprises better areas are North of Peoria Ave and West of Litchfield Rd.

A comparable and closer area of town I could recommend is Beardsley and 83 Ave ish.

I'm sure we have some RE Agents on this board that specialize more in this area.

Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 PM

2,146 posts, read 1,214,218 times
Most areas are safe north of Cactus, few exceptions though I wouldn't live south of Thunderbird myself. Sun City you have to be 55 years old or older so that is out, there is a strip at 114th Ave/Ave of the Arts (same road) and Bell that most people ignore because they assume it is part of Sun City but it isn't, means no age restriction without going all the way out into Surprise. I would avoid El Mirage and the bordering neighborhoods down Dysart Rd. From 59th and Bell it would take about 15-20 minutes to get from Grand to the 101 during rush hour and a bit longer to get from the 101 past Grand, Grand gets really congested going into Surprise in the evening rush hour. The issue isn't the speed limit the problem is older drivers, slower as you would expect, and the billion lights between 107th and the 101, I swear there is 20 on that small stretch.

North of the 101 is a more expensive area but mostly safe, west of 51st, and less expensive, east of 43rd, the mountain there splits the area up. As for apartment living there is a bunch around 83rd and Bell and along the 101 that are all pretty okay as far as apartments go, the ones around Arrowhead mall are a bit older and come with issues that are normal for their age. You can plan to be at about $1000+/month on most single family homes in the area.

No matter where you choose I wouldn't be too worried about the safety of the area unless you are going to purposefully **** people off as we tend to just ignore our neighbors here.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:55 PM

442 posts, read 645,746 times
If you are considering Surprise I would like to inform you that Bell Road will be closed at the intersection of Grand Avenue for about 8 months starting in April. This is what our HOA send us :

Road Construction Notice in Surprise:
Bell & Grand Utility Work Cause Traffic Restrictions and Delays

Work to relocate utilities and drilling soil samples near the Bell Road and Grand Avenue intersection will require varied daytime and nighttime restrictions on Bell Road, now through the end of February.

Drivers may encounter single lane restrictions along Bell, anywhere between Dysart and Litchfield roads, at different times. Business access will be maintained throughout the work.

To lessen the impact on drive-time commutes, daytime work will be limited between the hours of 8:30 am - 3:30 pm. Evening work will be conducted from 9 pm - 5 am.

The overall construction timeline for this project is 14 months, beginning in late January 2016. Construction on Grand Avenue is scheduled to begin January 29. Drivers can expect Grand Avenue to be narrowed to two lanes in each direction, between Towne Center and Bell Grande.

In April, Bell Road will be closed at Grand Avenue for up to eight months to accommodate construction of a bridge traveling over Grand and the adjacent BNSF Railway tracks.

Closing Bell Road during construction allows the contractor, Coffman Specialties Inc, to complete the work more quickly, improves safety for construction workers and motorists, and minimizes traffic impacts during peak travel periods such as Spring Training and the holiday shopping season.

For additional project information, please visit www.surpriseaz.gov/bellandgrand or www.azdot.gov/bellandgrand Stay up to date on the project's progress and any planned closures and restrictions by signing up to receive email updates at www.azdot.gov/projects

Old 01-27-2016, 08:36 PM

Thank you all for the input. Definitely helps me to narrow down my target area and to get a feel for time to get around.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 PM

2,652 posts, read 2,858,498 times
Bell Road would probably be a more frustrating commute with all the stoplights to deal with.

The 101 might be a headache too depending on what time of day you go to work and drive home.

Have you searched for places to live near your workplace in northern Glendale? That would be a lot less driving than living someplace like Surprise or Sun City.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Bell Road would probably be a more frustrating commute with all the stoplights to deal with.

The 101 might be a headache too depending on what time of day you go to work and drive home.

Have you searched for places to live near your workplace in northern Glendale? That would be a lot less driving than living someplace like Surprise or Sun City.
I'm pretty much going to start looking at houses very close to the office and work my way out until I get the right combination of size/cost. With it being a new position, I don't want to be worrying about the commute.

Luckily you guys told me the areas to generally avoid so I don't get tricked into thinking I have found a bargain when it's really in a shady part of town.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:54 PM

36,272 posts, read 37,586,045 times
Bell Road at Grand will not be closed but will have restricted lanes in all directions. Instead of 3 lanes there will at times be only one or 2 open travel lanes.
The congestion will be horrible. This AM on Bell Rd from Sun City West to 59th Ave was nearly bumper to bumper all the way. Grand had similar heavy traffic.
Arrowhead Shopping Center and it's area retailers are a major destination for the shoppers from the Sun Cities.

I would suggest finding a rental agent and tell them your needs and price range. There are plenty of nice places around 59th/Bell Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area