Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,161,681 times

Advertisements

a lot of it out here depends on where you live

i work downtown and if I leave during normal rush hours my 22 mile commute is usually about 1:15 ...... in the summer this drops to 45 minutes .......... off peak times it drops to 30 minutes

this morning I left at 6:45 and got to work at 8:15

my coworkers coming in from chandler/gilbert/mesa have the same issues

I usually stay closer to 6 at night and watch my commute drop to about 45 minutes

if I leave at 5 it takes about 20 minutes to get on the highway - covering 2.5 miles

my wife goes in the other direction for work and it takes her 10-15 minutes each way

i've lived in philly & denver and do a lot of business in other cities that require me to be on the road ........... phoenix is worst than most of them

LA by far kills all though as the traffic is horrible and alternatives are light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM

149 posts, read 532,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
I am looking at a job prospect near Kierland and N. Scottsdale Rd.

If Hootie's formula is about right, how far north do you think I could go to live and keep the commute to not too much more than 30 minutes?.....DC Ranch.....Troon........Cave Creek?

Could I also put Fountain Hills into play to the east?

Thanks in advance.
My office is very near to Kierland & N. Scottsdale Rd. It usually takes me about 20-25 minutes (off-peak and on-peak hours) from my office to Shea & Palisades intersection in Fountain Hills.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 AM

259 posts, read 1,321,356 times
Thank you SpaceNeedle, that's very comforting to know I have that area for consideration.

Does anyone else happen to run up and down Pima Road for their rush hour commute? I'm initially attracted to the DC Ranch area too, but don't know if southbound Pima bogs down with traffic at 8am.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM

31 posts, read 162,701 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Phoenix traffic is better than Boston traffic, however there are a lot of aggressive drivers in Phoenix, a lot of tailgating, dangerous lane changing, and distressingly frequent road accidents. I would say the drivers are as aggressive as the worst places I have been--NYC and Boston. I guess there are lots of Easterners here. But I'm told Californians today are extremely aggressive as well; didn't used to but it's been a long time since I've driven in that state. 101 gridlock is milder than Massachusetts 128 gridlock, where you can literally sit still for 45 minutes. Phoenix signage is much better, and the zipper lanes are fantastic. It was probably a lot nicer here 10-15 years ago in terms of crowdedness and driver courtesy, oh well.
Thanks for this reply- very useful for a person moving from Boston to PHX. I'd rather slit my throat than having to go through another Rte 128 from the Southshore experience in PHX.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM

285 posts, read 899,537 times
We have built a LOT of freeway in the past 10-15 years. That does help. When I moved down in "72" we had one basic freeway as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area