Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:54 PM

76 posts, read 77,057 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Phoenix area this summer from New Jersey. After research on the internet, I'm going to be looking at places in the Scottsdale/Tempe area.

I was wondering if it's possible to travel throughout these towns with a bike? or is driving a necessity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Throughout both on a bike? I'd say no, although Tempe is fairly bike friendly and becoming more so. Scottsdale not so much. As you can see on a map, it's a long, narrow city. The only place you can easily navigate on a bike is the greenbelt, which runs from basically the Scottsdale-Tempe border to Indian Bend. Other than that, you are sharing the road with cars.

A car is really a necessity here, unless your entire activity sphere, work, play, friends, etc. is within a fairly small area. This is a VERY spread out place. If you live in Tempe, and want to go to downtown Phoenix, good public transit will get you there. Remember the high temps here in summer, too, which are not exactly conducive to midday bike riding.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
The Indian Bend Wash trail now goes farther north than Indian Bend Road. It has been extended all the way up toward West World in north Scottsdale. At its southern end, the greenbelt connects to the system of paths around Tempe Town Lake. It's a great connector between the two cities. In addition, both cities have good bike routes within their own borders. Scottsdale has recently improved its segment of the Arizona Canal Path. Tempe has bike lanes on many streets and its own off-road path along the Western Canal in the southern portion of the city. Neverthless, summer heat will be a factor, so you may want to investigate combining bicycling with public transit. The Rural / Scottsdale (Route 72) and McClintock / Hayden (Route 81) buses run between the two cities, and all buses have bike racks on the front. Tempe has the added advantage of light rail trains to Phoenix and Mesa, as well as Orbit neighborhood circulators. Bikes are accommodated on both.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Scottsdale is extremely bike friendly. The Greenbelt is great. There are bike lanes almost everywhere too.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:43 PM

76 posts, read 77,057 times
If I live in, lets say Old Town Scottsdale. I couldn't bike from there to Arizona State U?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnative1989 View Post
If I live in, lets say Old Town Scottsdale. I couldn't bike from there to Arizona State U?
Sure you could. Google Maps will show you the route and distance.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The Indian Bend Wash trail now goes farther north than Indian Bend Road. It has been extended all the way up toward West World in north Scottsdale. At its southern end, the greenbelt connects to the system of paths around Tempe Town Lake. It's a great connector between the two cities. In addition, both cities have good bike routes within their own borders. Scottsdale has recently improved its segment of the Arizona Canal Path. Tempe has bike lanes on many streets and its own off-road path along the Western Canal in the southern portion of the city. Neverthless, summer heat will be a factor, so you may want to investigate combining bicycling with public transit. The Rural / Scottsdale (Route 72) and McClintock / Hayden (Route 81) buses run between the two cities, and all buses have bike racks on the front. Tempe has the added advantage of light rail trains to Phoenix and Mesa, as well as Orbit neighborhood circulators. Bikes are accommodated on both.

Good to know. I know it wasn't green all the way up, but I thought it might go somewhat further. I don't know what "Toward WestWorld" means, as I'm up there all the time, and don't see any trail around. That one trail alone doesn't mean getting everywhere in Scottsdale, but it is a big help with the north-south.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:

You could; unless you went out of your way to connect with the Indian Bend path, though, you'd be on the road with cars. Bike lanes, where they exist, can be pretty narrow in places. And again, it would be unpleasant with the heat of summer. I would use the 72 bus and your bike to get where you need to go.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:56 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
If you live East of Old Town near the greenbelt it would be easier/safer and you wouldn't need to stop every 1/4 mile for traffic but it can be done down Scottsdale/Rural as well. Scottsdale Rd is extremely heavy in traffic at times. I had a friend I went to ASU with that would bike to/from his condo in the Old Town area. Except when it was really hot he often asked if he could put the bike in my pickup and get a ride The heat is something to keep in mind in the Summer, but it's not a long ride.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Good to know. I know it wasn't green all the way up, but I thought it might go somewhat further. I don't know what "Toward WestWorld" means, as I'm up there all the time, and don't see any trail around. That one trail alone doesn't mean getting everywhere in Scottsdale, but it is a big help with the north-south.
The greenbelt has extended up to Shea for several years. More recently, additional work has been done north of Shea on a portion that runs through another wash and parallel to various streets before terminating at West World. This map has more detail:

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/S...edUsePaths.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area