Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,391 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I've just been extended a job offer from a mortgage company in Chandler and they want me to start in March. I would need to rent either a 3 bdrm house/apt in a decent family friendly area (no more than 1200/mo), with a good school disrict, esp special ed for my 5 year old. I also welcome feedback on cost of living (vs Chicago), entertainment, museums, zoo's, weather, etc. All responses are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
You should have no problem finding a nice rental home for under $1200/mo in Chandler. The schools sound like they are good, but you can do a search on this forum for that I'm sure. There are a few people who live in Chandler or near it on here. Basically, the housing is a lot cheaper here, many other things are pretty comparable.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I moved to Chandler from Chicago area and you will have no problem finding a rental house in a nice area for way less than $1200. In addition, your heat, water and AC bills will be so much lower. If you buy a house, you will find taxes about one-third of them in Chicago. The Chandler Schools are fine, including services for special ed. Best of all, you will never shovel snow again !!!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM

173 posts, read 591,708 times
I would go to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
. That's what I'm doing as I investigate which places we're considering. Also, Chicago is really expensive, especially w/ housing, & I've checked out some parts of Az. It's WAY cheaper out there. I've also heard the schools are excellent.Good luck, wish I had a definite place in mind..

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 06:06 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
I've also heard the schools are excellent.
lol, are you talking about Chandler or Phx or AZ? I've never heard anyone say our schools are excellent. We rank 48th I believe in the country.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 AM

173 posts, read 591,708 times
I obviously don't live there so if you're a native, you know what the schools are like. By the way what I read was there are charter schools in AZ. that rival public schools in the midwest.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Some of the schools are better than others, as is true in every state in every area. Yes, AZ has mostly schools which have not kept up with the rest of the country, but, they are working on improvement. And yes, charter schools are very abundant here. In the Phx area, Kyrene, Chandler, Gilbert and a few others are providing excellent education, not like the midwest, but very decent. PS I work in the childrens disability program for the State. You will need to get enrolled as soon as you get here. Find out your local school and give them a call when you move into your house.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
lol, are you talking about Chandler or Phx or AZ? I've never heard anyone say our schools are excellent. We rank 48th I believe in the country.
Actually now its 50th i think...

but chandler has one of the best school districts in arizona.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 PM

138 posts, read 600,192 times
Make sure you check into your cost for automobile insurance and registration. Coming from Chicago, it will make your jaw drop. Insurance will most likely almost double and plates won't be $78 or whatever the current price is. If you have a new car, expect to pay $300-500 a year.

And really check into schools! It will be quite diff from Chicago. Another thing to check into is that kindergarten may be a mandatory full day in AZ. But as a working Mom that might be an added plus!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:45 PM

225 posts, read 962,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
That's funny because I have heard of people praising the schools in Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale and Suprise. The schools are pretty bad overall but the point is if someone wanted to send their children to good schools, there are many options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area