Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 AM

180 posts, read 655,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
Are you referring to the actual city of Phoenix or the entire "area of Phoenix" (including all surrounding cities)?

If you are in the south west phoenix proper (ie south of dunlap and east of loop 101) the are is not all that nice. This is called the Maryvale area is one of the least desireable areas in Phoenix. I have lived in the valley since 1981 and that part of town has never been desireable. You need to get west of the loop 101 for the area to get nice again. North of Peoria and being the in the avenues is not so bad. Once get north of Greenway the "west side" stuff is just talk. The area is actually pretty nice.

I lived in Avondale for many years 97-04 and liked it. I was at 107th Av & Thomas it was a decient area. My wife wanted a more friendly neighborhood and we moved north to anthem. We have been quite happy. Goodyear and Buckeye have alot of new growth. Some areas are bound to be better than others, but the place is worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
There is another Anthem Ranch now : Anthem at Merrill Ranch This community is in Pinal County, near Florence. It is in the early stages of development. Right now it feels like it is in the middle of nowhere, and not very easy to get to. But, in a few years...who knows? I remember when Ahwatukee was first being developed, people thought that was a crazy place to build.
But it is very easy to get to...unlike most of Pinal County's version of Queen Creek, Anthem/Merrill Ranch is pretty close to state highways. There's no need to drop down off of US 60 and drive 15 miles on county roads or to experience the Hunt Hwy nightmare. Both SR79 and SR87/287 are near by. It's still way out there if you are coming from Phoenix, but it's not a bad drive, certainly better than the I-17 parking lot during rush.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

i also can't stand the east side / west side crap that is spewed out here - both sections have their rought areas and their not nice areas - the east side maybe developed a little faster, but western development is still very good

schools on the westside are just as good

average incomes on the westside are just as strong

also the bars/restaurants/shopping are evening out

i don't get it.............
You have to see it through several decades of experience here. The west side historically has been the cheaper side of town and the south side the poor and minority area. But what has happened is that the east side is now built out and in many places declining (Mesa, for example) and the growth has shifted to the west side. So what you see in the new west side (roughly west of the 101) is the same as Gilbert, Ahwatukee, etc with respect to incomes, schools, shopping as you point out. And the further out you go the better it gets as you get away from the impoverished cores of the west-side cities that once were largely migrant labor towns. Many of the people who knock the west side are totally out of touch with what is happening with regards to valley growth and demographic patterns. The truth is that this place is so big that most people rarely go outside of their own part of town other than a trip along the freeways. The message for someone looking for info about an area is to seek someone who lives in an area rather than listen to those who just promote old stereotypes about a fast changing city.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You have to see it through several decades of experience here. The west side historically has been the cheaper side of town and the south side the poor and minority area. But what has happened is that the east side is now built out and in many places declining (Mesa, for example)
The older parts of west Mesa, yes. My area on the east side of Mesa is not declining-just the opposite. We're still growing big time. Major shopping, entertainment, restaurants, 3 hospitals within ten miles, etc.

I don't understand why the other poster would be upset. I don't know if it's human nature, but it's definitely American. Pride in your country, state, city, high school, college...why not pride in your side of town? Come on, it's not like the east side and the west side are going to war! (The west side is damn lucky we're not!)

Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
Last time I checked, ADOT was in the midst of widening I-17 (from 2 lanes to 4 in each direction) between the 101 and Carefree. Should be completed in late 2009. After that construction is completed, I believe they're planning to add an additional (third) lane from Carefree to Anthem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
But it is very easy to get to...unlike most of Pinal County's version of Queen Creek, Anthem/Merrill Ranch is pretty close to state highways. There's no need to drop down off of US 60 and drive 15 miles on county roads or to experience the Hunt Hwy nightmare. Both SR79 and SR87/287 are near by. It's still way out there if you are coming from Phoenix, but it's not a bad drive, certainly better than the I-17 parking lot during rush.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
IMO, the east valley and west valley both suck... north Phoenix is where it's at! I've been checking out NorPho lately, and Moon Valley (7th st & Thunderbird area) is now my favorite part of the city.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,008,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thormoose View Post
My family and I are considering a move back to Arizona after many years in Pennsylvania (where we are originally from). Shortly after my husband and I were married we moved to Scottsdale and my husband finished up school at ASU. We did not have any children at the time so when we lived out there it was more from the perspective of a young married/single viewpoint. I remember Scottsdale being nice...a little snobby, but nice nonetheless. After many years of living in Pennsylvania now, we think we might need a change and are considering a move back to AZ. Because we have two children now, a family oriented community is of the outmost importance. We are not interested in raising the kids in an LA-ish community so Scottsdale is definitely out. What I would like to know is what is Anthem like? I have heard that it's a nice family community, but any input would help greatly. Also, do you have any other ideas of nice small communities that aren't focused too much on material things...I mean just nice, normal communities with nice normal people....is that too much to ask? HA! Thanks!
Prices are tanking all over the Valley...Anthem is in the boonies on the most congested road in the state of Arizona...look in better locations in N. Phoenix or N. Scottsdale as there are 'buys' out there...though you can probably get a better deal in Anthem as it is a much less desireable location.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
I love how people talk about Anthem being out in the boonies as a bad thing!

To most of us, that's actually a major benefit of Anthem and has helped create a very personal and unique community spirit, something sorely lacking with most of the Valley's subdivisions (exceptions of course to Verrado, perhaps Estrella, Vistancia, etc.).

We don't have to worry about butting up against any undesirable areas. We don't have to worry about undesirables strolling over to our community for a quick hit, fix, drive-by, breaking into our cars/houses/etc. No, the fact that we're 11 miles north of the 101 provides excellent insulation and a built-in deterrent thank you very much.

And with the upcoming road expansion, we'll have twice the capacity to get downtown or to Scottsdale shopping whenever we like, thank you very much.

Anthem, it's a slice of heaven on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Prices are tanking all over the Valley...Anthem is in the boonies on the most congested road in the state of Arizona...look in better locations in N. Phoenix or N. Scottsdale as there are 'buys' out there...though you can probably get a better deal in Anthem as it is a much less desireable location.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
I love how people talk about Anthem being out in the boonies as a bad thing!

To most of us, that's actually a major benefit of Anthem and has helped create a very personal and unique community spirit, something sorely lacking with most of the Valley's subdivisions (exceptions of course to Verrado, perhaps Estrella, Vistancia, etc.).

We don't have to worry about butting up against any undesirable areas. We don't have to worry about undesirables strolling over to our community for a quick hit, fix, drive-by, breaking into our cars/houses/etc. No, the fact that we're 11 miles north of the 101 provides excellent insulation and a built-in deterrent thank you very much.

And with the upcoming road expansion, we'll have twice the capacity to get downtown or to Scottsdale shopping whenever we like, thank you very much.

Anthem, it's a slice of heaven on earth.
You are right...everybody wants something different...but no matter what they do with I-17 it will always be a disaster as the main artery in/out of hell.

As for community spirit only being in those places you talk about I assume most of the 'spirit' neighbors share centers on foreclosures and dramatic drops in value...especially in those far off boonies places.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 AM

180 posts, read 655,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Anthem is in the boonies on the most congested road in the state of Arizona...
That is funny...
When I used to live at 107th Ave & Thomas I would leave for for at 6am being bumper to bumper traffic on I-10 all the 20 miles into work (near Sky Harbor airport). I would get in at 6:30 am.

Now l leave for work at 5:45 am and have zero traffic and make my 40 mile drive to work and get here ar 6:30am.

I had twice the length of drive to work and it takes me only 50% more time. Why... Anytime of the day I was dealing with bumper to bumper traffic on I-10. Now if I leave early it is 70mph all the way from Daisy Mtn (on I-17) to my exit at 32nd steet and the Loop 202.

Really the trip down I-17 is over blown. Sure the traffic can be tight and that is why they are expanding it. I do not suggesting taking I-17 all they way in to downtown. I cut over on the 101 to the 51 freeway and avoid all the traffic at my time of the day.

I find the congestion of the Atwatukee area and along I-10 was to be much worse. I lived at 48th Street and warner for 11 months and in Avondale for 7 years so I know about the differents parts of Phoenix. When looking for a house I avoided the East valley back in 1997 since there were just too many people around for my tastes. At the time Avondale was pretty open and I had to dodge farm tractors on the way to work. Growth caught up and in 2003-2004 it started to get crowed. Still not east valley crowed, but it was packing in. Anthem is out there a bit, but due to hills/mountains that surround it make it feel less a part of the massive urban sprawl that you get in the east valley and west valley due to ease of converting open flat farm land in to tract homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area