Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
When we moved here in 1979 we brought with us a '73 Camaro that had no A/C. We bought a second car ('79 Datsun 310) in which we had aftermarket A/C installed but it never seemed to work right. It wasn't until 1986 that we had two vehicles with working A/C. I don't know how we survived either but we did. I guess it helped that we were young and had just moved from Washington DC where the heat/humidity was arguably worse.
Good points. When I was young, I could tolerate the summer heat a lot better than I can now, and I even rode in a car with insufficient A/C during an entire summer, but didn't complain. Also, newer transplants (especially the ones from more humid climates) seem to be more tolerant of the Phoenix heat because it's mostly dry. Some of them even thrive on it. From my experiences, the older a person is, and the longer a person has lived here, the less tolerant he/she becomes of the heat. I'm a good example of that because I used to love the summers here when I was young, but now I absolutely hate the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 11:14 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Good points. When I was young, I could tolerate the summer heat a lot better than I can now, and I even rode in a car with insufficient A/C during an entire summer, but didn't complain. Also, newer transplants (especially the ones from more humid climates) seem to be more tolerant of the Phoenix heat because it's mostly dry. Some of them even thrive on it. From my experiences, the older a person is, and the longer a person has lived here, the less tolerant he/she becomes of the heat. I'm a good example of that because I used to love the summers here when I was young, but now I absolutely hate the summers.

Maybe I'm weird but I love the summers here. I tolerate the heat very well. That's not saying the heat itself is wonderful but I love what the heat brings along with it. The summer thunderstorms are breathtaking. The lakes and my pool heat up nicely so I'm in the water a LOT and the mornings and evenings are fabulous.
A few hours of scorching afternoon heat is the price we pay I suppose but I'm fine with that. I can tolerate a few hours of our afternoon heat every day rather than suffer through those brutally cold winters elsewhere. Our extreme weather in the summer is more easily tolerated than the extreme weather others endure every year. At least for me.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:27 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Maybe I'm weird but I love the summers here. I tolerate the heat very well. That's not saying the heat itself is wonderful but I love what the heat brings along with it. The summer thunderstorms are breathtaking. The lakes and my pool heat up nicely so I'm in the water a LOT and the mornings and evenings are fabulous.
A few hours of scorching afternoon heat is the price we pay I suppose but I'm fine with that. I can tolerate a few hours of our afternoon heat every day rather than suffer through those brutally cold winters elsewhere. Our extreme weather in the summer is more easily tolerated than the extreme weather others endure every year. At least for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area