Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
Goodyear is not snobby at all. The only real snobby places in the Valley are Scottsdale and the Paradise Valley area of Phoenix.
Oh PUL-LEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because we are wealthier here does not mean we are snobby!
I know wealthy people in Gilbert who make people here in Scottsdale cringe because they think they are so great. I've seen it in Fountain Hills, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, desert ridge area, just about any place where people have lots of disposable income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
[quote=MotleyCrew;2781637]I have found that the homes in foreclosure all suffered from the "Coach" virus that strikes the younger generation today.

MotleyCrew, What is wrong with Coach? Are you saying that my wife is a snob because she likes Coach purses? That is one of the reasons we are leaving the beach and moving to Surprise, so she can buy more Coach purses and we can still have a decent home.

As far as the original question. I have seen very little snobbyness anywhere that I have visited in the area. Even in Scottsdale, I have never seen any snobby attitudes. I am sure that they exist in any community. I am sure that you will find people in any community that think they are better than the rest. There are a lot more in the area that are just laid back people. You would never see my wife at the park with the kids, wearing high heels, designer jeans, and holding onto a $200 diaper bag. Chances are her Coach Purse, or any of her purses wouldn't be with her either.

What I have found is that there is no reason to put on an act when you are the star of the show. No reason to pretend when you are the real deal.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:36 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
Goodyear is not snobby at all. The only real snobby places in the Valley are Scottsdale and the Paradise Valley area of Phoenix.
It can be pretty "snobby" in Estrella (an affluent community in Goodyear), I can tell you that. Spoiled kids, ostentatious parents, exclusivity, conspicuous consumption, we have it all at the top of the hill.

But I don't define "snobby" as being distant, unapproachable or unfriendly. The isolation and sense of "us" in Estrella makes it a great place to meet people and develop friendships. The community hosts so many events where you can meet your neighbors that if you can't make friends here, it's you, not the place.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-10-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times
I wouldn't think you'd find too many snobs in Goodyear, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, etc. After all, what would they have to be snobby about?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
I wouldn't think you'd find too many snobs in Goodyear, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, etc. After all, what would they have to be snobby about?
Because they have nice (expensive) neighborhoods there too!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:20 PM

14 posts, read 39,502 times
Thank you everybody for all the opinions! I appreciate it. Sheena, just curious---you said you haven't made a lot of friends in AZ. Why is that?...hard to meet people or you find people unfriendly?

I agree that there are unfriendly, snobby people everywhere you go. We've lived a lot of places and there hasn't been one city immune. However, I have never before lived somewhere where the majority of people are that way and it's hard to fit in. I guess I'm glad I've never experienced that before but man, gives life a new perspective. I never realized how good we had it before. It's lonely not being able to establish real friendships.

Again--thank you for the info. I want to try and get a good feel for how people are in a community (specifically, Goodyear--we like Estrella from what we see online). My husband and I have realized that there are many friendly suburbs in the Columbus area w/more down to earth people (snobs mixed in but not the majority). Unfortunately, we had 3 days to pick a house and we just made the wrong decision. Hope to make a better one next time.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2cutegirls View Post
Thank you everybody for all the opinions! I appreciate it. Sheena, just curious---you said you haven't made a lot of friends in AZ. Why is that?...hard to meet people or you find people unfriendly?

I agree that there are unfriendly, snobby people everywhere you go. We've lived a lot of places and there hasn't been one city immune. However, I have never before lived somewhere where the majority of people are that way and it's hard to fit in. I guess I'm glad I've never experienced that before but man, gives life a new perspective. I never realized how good we had it before. It's lonely not being able to establish real friendships.

Again--thank you for the info. I want to try and get a good feel for how people are in a community (specifically, Goodyear--we like Estrella from what we see online). My husband and I have realized that there are many friendly suburbs in the Columbus area w/more down to earth people (snobs mixed in but not the majority). Unfortunately, we had 3 days to pick a house and we just made the wrong decision. Hope to make a better one next time.

I'm not sure why I haven't met many friends. I have met many people but have called few my friends. It seems everyone is always rushing around in their own world. It's hard to connect.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 PM

14 posts, read 39,502 times
Default 3 more questions on Goodyear

Not sure if I need to start a new thread (sorry I'm new to this) or if I can ask some additional questions since they are related to Goodyear...

1) I've read on other threads that people hide out in their homes during the hot summer months so the Phoenix area doesn't have a real community feel. Can you please paint me a picture---if we were to drive through one of the master planned comm.'s in Goodyear, would we see kids playing outside? Are families out taking walks (not talking about the middle of the day but evening time)?

2) Same question for winter months? If we drove thru a mpc in Jan., Feb, or March would kids and families be out playing or riding bikes?

3) I'm assuming most people who live in Phoenix (not in a mpc) have a pool because of the heat. Do residents in mpc's also have pools in their backyard in addition to the community/neighborhood pool? The last mpc we lived in, only a couple residents put in their own private pools...but it was the midwest where you get only a few good months to swim.

It's 7 degrees here...brrr...wishing we were in Phoenix right about now!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:26 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
The newer MPCs differ from past ones in that there is a big emphasis on community amenities. Estrella, for example as you are interested in that area, has a big residents center with workout area, lap pool, cafe, waterpark, a boat rental (free), etc. The community is professionally managed and there is a catalog of things to do and events to get involved in. There is something every day. If you attend these functions you meet people. If you don't it is easy to simply sit in the house and never know anyone. But you get the choice that you don't in many Phoenix area neighborhoods.

As for kids, they play in their yards a lot. It's a back yard suburban culture more than a street scene like when I was young. Parents today tend to be overprotective and feel a lot better when they can watch the kids out the kitchen window. Everyone here has a walled in yard and most have pools as well. Kids hang out at one house or another and they pretty much live in the pool in the summer. We live on a cul-de-sac and the kids play in the street too more in winter and summer nights. But you don't see kids out much on the straight streets. We have all the soccer, baseball etc leagues for kids that you find anywhere. No question that things slow down in summer. People are on vacation (summer break is only 7-8 weeks) and it IS hot.

We have two private parks - there are kids by the boatload at the south lake park year round. Of course they have school, schools have playgrounds and they play there too. The kids are not bothered by the heat nearly as much as adults - just like the cold in the midwest.

People are out walking in force around the lakes and on the trails in the morning (to about 10-11) in summer and anytime of the day from Oct thru May. The fanatics are out year round at all times.

It was 78 degrees here in Estrella yesterday.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:19 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2cutegirls View Post
Not sure if I need to start a new thread (sorry I'm new to this) or if I can ask some additional questions since they are related to Goodyear...

1) I've read on other threads that people hide out in their homes during the hot summer months so the Phoenix area doesn't have a real community feel. Can you please paint me a picture---if we were to drive through one of the master planned comm.'s in Goodyear, would we see kids playing outside? Are families out taking walks (not talking about the middle of the day but evening time)?

2) Same question for winter months? If we drove thru a mpc in Jan., Feb, or March would kids and families be out playing or riding bikes?

3) I'm assuming most people who live in Phoenix (not in a mpc) have a pool because of the heat. Do residents in mpc's also have pools in their backyard in addition to the community/neighborhood pool? The last mpc we lived in, only a couple residents put in their own private pools...but it was the midwest where you get only a few good months to swim.

It's 7 degrees here...brrr...wishing we were in Phoenix right about now!
There will be a community feel in the summer. However, kids won't be playing on the streets because the asphalt is too hot. I'm in a gated community so kids play in the streets a lot when it isn't hot.

You'll see people taking their walks early in the morning or late in the afternoon, not during mid day.

Many people have their own pools, but many prefer to use the community pools and not have to bother with their own pool maintenance. It varies with the individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area