U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 PM

686 posts, read 2,610,993 times
Exclamation Differences and similarities between phoenix & Tucson

HI all, I live in Tucson and have never been to Phoenix. Only been in the desert for 4 years. I am considering transferring to ASU and would like to get people's opinions on Phoenix. I am also hoping someone is familiar with Tucson as well and can compare the two cities. here are questions I have:

1. Tucson bus system is horrible!!! Is Phoenix's any better?

2. To me, Tucson is for the most part, a dump. How does Phoenix compare?

3. Tucson doesn't have many lakes or large public parks and trees. Is it the same in Phoenix?

4. How is crime? I live in Central Tucson where crime is sky high. Seems like crime is all over Tucson. Is crime all over Phoenix or is it centered in certain areas?

5. Tucson's downtown is sorta run-down and not much goes on after dark and on weekends? Is downtown Phoenix more people friendly and active?

I appreciate all answers and look forward to your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 AM

5,457 posts, read 13,507,449 times
You've lived in Tucson for four years and have never been to Phoenix? Solution: Jump in the car (or an airport shuttle bus if you don't have a car), head 1hr 40min north to Phoenix and find out for yourself!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 AM

I want to but I have no clue where to begin. I don't have a license and am not old enough to rent a car!!! I don't know where to stay, what to see and do, and how to get around there. it's so sprawling. everyone in tucson tells me how phoenix is dirty and crime ridden (full of gangs). I don't want to get shot while on a trip

Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,042,631 times
I live in northern Phoenix at the border with Scottsdale. Near Kierland, Desert Ridge, Airpark area.

1 Bus system: In general, if where you need to go is right on a main road and you are lucky enough to live within walking distance of the main road to get to the bus stop->pretty good. If not->pretty bad. I come from Cleveland. The bus system there was far more developed than here.

2 Dumpy: That is the last thing I would call this part of town. This area is very nice. Other parts of the area may differ of course but... Here everything is very clean and for the most part appears either new, fairly new, rebuilt, well-maintained or still under construction. That is actually one thing that really impressed me coming from an older dumpy city like Cleveland.

3 Lakes/Parks/Trees: I am not a "park person" but I know there are a few parks. But this is the desert, I wouldnt suspect they would contain a gazillion trees and lakes like our parks in Cleveland had the huge green canopy, creeks, rivers, lakes and stuff. Tho I would think there would be a few.

4 Crime: I feel safe in this area. That isn't to say it is crime-free, because nowhere is crime-free. But I know statistically the majority of the crimes in this area tend to be property crimes rather than violent crimes. Auto theft, theft in general, shoplifting, tax evasion. ;-)

5 Downtown Phoenix: I have never been to downtown Phoenix, so not really qualified to answer. There is plenty of night life in the area where I live, but most of it involves driving. Tho my younger niece (she is 26) tells me some of the clubs down around Old Town or thereabouts are really nice.

What kind of things are you interested in seeing in Phoenix?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
I want to but I have no clue where to begin. I don't have a license and am not old enough to rent a car!!! I don't know where to stay, what to see and do, and how to get around there.
Like I said, they have airport shuttle busses running every day between the Tucson and Phoenix airports. There might even be some other bus shuttle services between the two cities. Jump on one. Then when you get to the Phoenix airport, get on the Valley Metro Red Line (go to their website and study the routes). If you take it one direction (east) it will take you to downtown Tempe (Mill Ave) and Arizona State University, home of the Sun Devils. Tempe would be a great place for you to start exploring. If you take the Red Line west, it will take you to downtown Phoenix and then midtown Phoenix. There's not much in downtown Phoenix to see, IMO, but if you've never been there before it could be worth a look around. Another bus you definitely want to take would be Route 72-- Scottsdale Rd/Rural Rd. From the Tempe transit center on College Ave north of the ASU campus, get on that bus and take it to Old Town Scottsdale. Just make sure you make it back to the airport on time to catch another shuttle bus back to Tucson.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the great info. I would love to check out mainly Tempe, Downtown and Central Phoenix, and the area around Scottsdale. Those seem like the most viable spots to look.

I was looking into it, and I can come up sometime around the 23rd or somethin. I would want to spend the night seeing that you can't really see a place in a day. The only problem is that because it is winter, hotel rates are fairly high. Even for some of the lower budget options. I can afford it's just a pain to spend a lot for nothin.

If you could give me your opinion on the following hotel:
Red Roof Inn Phoenix Airport. It's located at 2135 W 15th street just south of 14th and 52nd in Tempe. I can easily take the bus to and from downtown PHX and so forth from there. It has gotten good reviews I would just like to know what kind of area it's in.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Thanks for the great info. I would love to check out mainly Tempe, Downtown and Central Phoenix, and the area around Scottsdale. Those seem like the most viable spots to look.

I was looking into it, and I can come up sometime around the 23rd or somethin. I would want to spend the night seeing that you can't really see a place in a day. The only problem is that because it is winter, hotel rates are fairly high. Even for some of the lower budget options. I can afford it's just a pain to spend a lot for nothin.

If you could give me your opinion on the following hotel:
Red Roof Inn Phoenix Airport. It's located at 2135 W 15th street just south of 14th and 52nd in Tempe. I can easily take the bus to and from downtown PHX and so forth from there. It has gotten good reviews I would just like to know what kind of area it's in.
Do you have a friend you could hitch a ride with, go up to Phoenix for a day trip? If you can wake up really early and get a head start (assuming on the weekend, so no rush hour traffic), you could easily see the downtown areas of Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale in one day, spending a couple of hours in each. Trust me, you can see pretty much everything there is to see in downtown Phoenix on a walking tour in about 45 minutes. You could probably kill a couple of hours in Tempe (that's what I would recommend) easily. I get bored walking around Old Town Scottsdale during the day in about 30 minutes. There's only so many "Indian trading posts" gift stores I can take. At night, on the other hand, it's a whole different story-- Scottsdale has some great nightlife. Are you old enough to drink? There's a bunch of fun bars on Scottsdale Rd.

True, you're not going to all of Phoenix, but you could get the hilights. Now of course you could certainly stay an overnighter too and make a mini 2-day vacation out of it. You could do some hiking in the area if you want to get a sense of your bearings, but to tell you the truth the hiking around Tucson blows away anything in Phoenix. I would recommend Papago Park, with some cool red rock buttes. Outside of those 3 main urban centers, there's a bunch of attractions here and there, but trying to take busses all day to get to all the attractions would be exhausting. I actually take trips down to Tucson every 1-2 months when I get bored of Phoenix!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM

BTW, that hotel itself, I guess that area's okay. That part of Tempe is kind of the industrial/ working-class part of Tempe, and it's right next to South Phoenix, but I don't think it's a horrible area. I wouldn't live there, but for staying the night it's probably just fine. There's not really anything to walk to in that surrounding area, other than a couple of fast food places on Broadway between Priest and Mill Ave. What about the Quality Inn on Scottsdale Rd in north Tempe/ south Scottsdale? That would center you closer to the action, where one bus with no transfers will take you to two worthwhile destinations (up and down Scottsdale and Tempe).

Old 02-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I know people that drive to Phoenix but they don't go often. I could take the greyhound. It get is in at 11:30 AM and costs $36. I would want to stay an overnight, because I would hate to rush through to see everything. Yeah, I could probably see everything in one day, but I would prefer to take a breather from Tucson and enjoy myself for an evening.

I'm only 19 so not old enough to drink. No bars for me. I could check out Papago Park. Maybe Camelback Mountain? is that fun and accessible? Also, I have to be careful when choosing a hotel. Some require you to be 21+. especially Super 8's and stuff. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Daniel

Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 AM

I checked out the Quality Suites on Scottsdale Rd and it has gotten horrible reviews. I guess it's real dirty and the staff is not the greatest. I know the Red Roof I was looking at has gotten great reviews. I will do some more looking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area