Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:59 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times

Advertisements

There are days when you don't really smell it and then there are days when the smells travels far out. I could smell it from Baseline and Val Vista, one time. Just because one visits a few times doesn't mean that they'll realize there's a smell. The farms are far from Baseline and Val Vista.
Ew indeed... and yes, it is cruel to have the animals standing and sleeping in their excrement 24-7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I'm not really comfortable with that idea at all. Perhaps it's simply because it's such a foreign idea. OTOH what if all future beef is bio-engineered and it's all near perfect. Only prime grade equivalent meat . Either way don't sound appetizing off hand.
I feel the same, but i recognize it's more humane and uses ~85% less calories to make the milk / meat. Also the environmental impact, use of land etc. are reduced to near zero. And yes you can culture it to contain the amount of fat you want etc.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I do have to ask... if you happened to see the cow farm, did you think it was going to smell like steak or hamburgers?
Well, yah, I would -- steak, hamburgers or a simmering roast beef. Now and then you could invite one of the (4-legged) neighbors over for dinner. Literally.

I was raised on a Kansas farm and in rural Iowa, so I understand where the OP is coming from. Our farm was never that bad because the feed lots were downhill and normally downwind from house, etc, with a couple barns in between; but more importantly, we never fed a whole lot of feedlot animals.

My sister and her husband, on the other hand, used to feed/market 2,500 head of feeder cattle and 2,500 head of pigs each year. Whewwwww! Talk about stench! Sis would PRAY that the wind blew in the proper direction when she'd invite people over; if it was coming out of the SE, it was not a pleasant place to be. When her husband turned 65 a few years ago, he retired from raising livestock. Now he simply farms about 2,000 acres of his crops plus contracts a thousand more! Ah, sweet retirement!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:43 PM

177 posts, read 552,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
There are days when you don't really smell it and then there are days when the smells travels far out. I could smell it from Baseline and Val Vista, one time. Just because one visits a few times doesn't mean that they'll realize there's a smell. The farms are far from Baseline and Val Vista.
Ew indeed... and yes, it is cruel to have the animals standing and sleeping in their excrement 24-7.
This is so true! Some days you don't smell a thing and other days whoa you better watch out! And the smell can travel pretty far!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 PM

177 posts, read 552,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Well, yah, I would -- steak, hamburgers or a simmering roast beef. Now and then you could invite one of the (4-legged) neighbors over for dinner. Literally.

I was raised on a Kansas farm and in rural Iowa, so I understand where the OP is coming from. Our farm was never that bad because the feed lots were downhill and normally downwind from house, etc, with a couple barns in between; but more importantly, we never fed a whole lot of feedlot animals.

My sister and her husband, on the other hand, used to feed/market 2,500 head of feeder cattle and 2,500 head of pigs each year. Whewwwww! Talk about stench! Sis would PRAY that the wind blew in the proper direction when she'd invite people over; if it was coming out of the SE, it was not a pleasant place to be. When her husband turned 65 a few years ago, he retired from raising livestock. Now he simply farms about 2,000 acres of his crops plus contracts a thousand more! Ah, sweet retirement!
I also grew up in a rural area with cow and chicken farms and it never smelled as bad as it does in Gilbert! This is the worst!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 PM

53 posts, read 89,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
Last year I moved to Gilbert because of the rave reviews. It's by far my least favorite place in the area. Actually I hate it! The cow smell is unbearable! I can't even leave the windows open because of the stench! Then there's the Mesa Gateway airport and it is loud! Airplane noise doesn't normally bother me but there are jets that are so loud they shake my house early in the morning! Oh and if you are pregnant forget it because morning sickness will be even worse when you step outside in the evening when the stench permeates the whole sky! I learned this first hand last year! I just don't understand why Gilbert is so great! I get that it's a good place for families and it's safe and has great schools but it's far from Phoenix and the cow smell is absolutely unbearable! And they are building so many housing developments so in a couple of years more people are going to move here and it's going to be a big cluster just to get around and especially to get out of here to commute into Phoenix. I can't wait to moo-ve away from the stinky cows! Ew! So for anyone who is thinking about moo-ving to Gilbert just know that this place smells like the worst cow manure ever. The evenings are the absolute worst but early mornings stink as well. I can't get away from this stinky place fast enough!
Move back to Orange. That steak or hamburger you ate last week has to come from somewhere! lol

Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
I also wonder about this farm. There is always a smell, but if it smells THAT BAD, I wonder about the conditions of the place. Glad I am a vegetarian!

The only thing that smells worse is a pig farm. Back when I lived in Iowa and was working as a hairstylist, I sprayed water on a guy's hair to cut it and the worst smell ever just hit me square in the face. He saw my face in the mirror and said "OH, I see you can smell my hogs." It was in his hair and the water just released it. PHEW. That was a fast haircut!

Old 03-22-2016, 03:07 PM

53 posts, read 89,313 times
Vegetarian/Vegan in a Native American word that means "poor hunter". lol

Old 03-22-2016, 03:20 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Russell View Post
Vegetarian/Vegan in a Native American word that means "poor hunter". lol

Never heard that one before!

Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I also wonder about this farm. There is always a smell, but if it smells THAT BAD, I wonder about the conditions of the place. Glad I am a vegetarian!
If its the one on Hawes and Guadalupe you can actually tour it. I have a 3 year old who adored the tour. I was impressed with the cleanliness, they had plenty of room to roam and adequate shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area