Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,569,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I think I saw him too, laying there naked as a jaybird. Gawd what an awful sight. With a sight like that he'd probably scare everyone away...
LOL...I'm sure the sight would scare away anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM

510 posts, read 1,455,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelfaceAZ View Post
I'd sleep with the windows open but for those pesky scorpions we have by us at least an intruder is big enough to nail with a baseball bat lol

Up here in MI we have these things called window "screens" they are fitted right into the window so that when you open the glass part there is a sheet of metal "screening" that keeps out bugs, but lets air in!!

I wonder why they don't have those out in AZ???

Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,981,982 times
WE HAVE window screens here. We even have extra thick screening to keep the sun from burning our little tootsies while we sleep. BUT those screens are very easy to slip out of the window. Alot of people want to remove them for the winter so the windows are clear and you can see out of them during the winter months when the sun isn't that hot. I think I have my answer to the question I asked: Keep the windows closed at night.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 PM

124 posts, read 475,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Up here in MI we have these things called window "screens" they are fitted right into the window so that when you open the glass part there is a sheet of metal "screening" that keeps out bugs, but lets air in!!

I wonder why they don't have those out in AZ???
Alrighty then, I grew up in Michigan by the way and while screens are nice, they don't fit perfectly and scorpions can get through the tiniest places so I don't take my chance with our window screens, which we do have. I don't like the idea of creepy crawlies in my bedroom...didn't like it in Michigan and REALLY don't care for it out here where the creepy crawlies are a bit more dangerous.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelfaceAZ View Post
Alrighty then, I grew up in Michigan by the way and while screens are nice, they don't fit perfectly and scorpions can get through the tiniest places so I don't take my chance with our window screens, which we do have. I don't like the idea of creepy crawlies in my bedroom...didn't like it in Michigan and REALLY don't care for it out here where the creepy crawlies are a bit more dangerous.

Oh, my gosh, the little smiley didn't post! I was trying to be funny. Oops, it looks like I was being mean. Oops.

So, now let me get this straight...you put screens in the windows and the scorpions get PAST THAT!? Are you kidding? (scratching head) How tiny are these things!!!??? Is there no way to CAULK or something? Non-hardening putty? Painters tape? What about that stuff they use to make glue traps for mice??? How about spraying something around the windows, on the outside? Exterminator????? So, when you open your door, do you have to make a mad dash so they don't sneak in?

(mouth still hanging open)

Is there an ARIZONA INSECT thread before I make a big deal out of this. I think I am slightly in shock right now. What if my little dog tries to play with one??? What if you fall asleep outside? Do they crawl on you? What if you swallow one??? How common ARE these things? Awwww....now I'm all itchy!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 AM

6,585 posts, read 5,828,128 times
Sun Vixen, here's (http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223/ - broken link) an informative article about scorpions. There is no way a scorpion can get past a correctly installed window screen. As the article says, just make sure the screen is tightly fitted.

I too find it a little strange that more windows don't have screens on them around here. There are some flies, bees, and gnats around here, and even some mosquitoes or mosquito-like creatures which have nailed me a few times in my back yard, though thankfully not as many as in other more humid places I've lived.

I'm hoping to install an evaporative cooler this spring and that's going to require us to open some windows, but I'm going to put in screens and window locks that prevent the window opening beyond a certain point. I've thought about security bars, but that is just too big a fire hazard. I'm also going to put in better security doors that come with screens. The one on our front door has about a 3 inch gap at the bottom, useless against insects. Plus it's installed backwards!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,176,945 times
I have sliders in both the great room and bedroom and have security screen doors in both places. This allows me to get as much fresh air as I want with no worries. It is pricey though. (I paid over $5k for both sets of doors.) Since I love fresh air and sliders are a security nightmare in itself, it was worth it to me.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 AM

124 posts, read 475,217 times
Yeah, the big problem with our screens is that they came with the house and I think they were abused before we showed up. When we get new screens I'll feel a little safer about leaving the window's open

Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,123 times
I do not, for any reason sleep or leave the house with open windows. I just do not feel safe doing that. I live in Chandler.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Sun Vixen, here's (http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223/ - broken link) an informative article about scorpions. There is no way a scorpion can get past a correctly installed window screen. As the article says, just make sure the screen is tightly fitted.

I too find it a little strange that more windows don't have screens on them around here. There are some flies, bees, and gnats around here, and even some mosquitoes or mosquito-like creatures which have nailed me a few times in my back yard, though thankfully not as many as in other more humid places I've lived.

I'm hoping to install an evaporative cooler this spring and that's going to require us to open some windows, but I'm going to put in screens and window locks that prevent the window opening beyond a certain point. I've thought about security bars, but that is just too big a fire hazard. I'm also going to put in better security doors that come with screens. The one on our front door has about a 3 inch gap at the bottom, useless against insects. Plus it's installed backwards!
Omg, thank you! If all articles were written as well at that one was, well, the world would be a better place!

So, what would be the BEST way to landscape? I know it mentioned rocks, but do scorpions also live under stone bedding...like those little lava rocks or tiny stone used around trees and plants? Does a small garden water feature attract them? Do they come out in the daytime?

I wasn't kidding about the mad dash to get in the door! lol! Are they so prevalent that this is a worry, or not so much? If you keep a clean, tidy area around your doors, are you okay?

As for the WINDOWS:

I have several relatives who live in Detroit and everybody keeps their windows open. Everybody. Since a window is only made of glass to begin with, it can only provide "so much" security. What is important is to limit the opening. I cannot imagine living with bars on my windows, especially my bedroom windows.

Here's what they do in Detroit (and the suburbs):

For sideways sliding windows: Open the window to the point you want it locked at. Measure the distance between side of window frame/sill and the edge of the sliding part (if the opening to outside is on the right hand side, then the left side of the sliding part) Now get a strong piece of wood or pipe and lay it in the track. The window cannot be pushed open! Just be careful that somebody could not cut the screen and reach their arm through and remove the pipe. (I have NEVER heard of this happening, but if you left too wide an opening it could present a problem, it could also allow a child to fit through, so use common sense. An example: If you have a window 36" wide and want to leave it open 12", taking into allowance about 4" total for both sides of frame, your bar/pipe would need to be 20". Just make sure it really fits INTO the groove and securely INTO the edge of the sliding part, in other words as long as it is STRONG, thinner is better. You can then take pretty contact paper or even sew a cute little cover for it so it does not scratch and blends in with your decor. (It's the same idea as the bar you buy for a sliding glass door. It is SO strong, I prefer this over the devices they sell at the hardware store)

You can also get an alarm that will sound if the window is moved at ALL, if you want to keep it open wider.

For up-and-down windows: Open the window to where you want it. Mark the spot inside the sill (ABOVE the sliding part!!) that you want the window to stop at. Drill a hole into the sill that will let you stick a big THICK nail in snugly, but that you can pull out if you want to. It is impossible to push the window open wider from the outside. And in case of a fire, all you have to do is slip the mail out. (Make SURE everybody in your house KNOWS about the nail! and that small children have a way of reaching it in an emergency!) You could put one nail on EACH SIDE for added security. They also sell "pins" that do the same thing. I have heard from several Police Officers that this is BETTER than many window locks as they are stronger than most and cannot be jimmied.

But of course, the police also will tell you: there is nothing better than a barking dog, even a very small one, to deter criminals. The first thing through a burglar's mind when he hears a dog bark is "I wonder if the owner is reaching for his gun? Maybe I should go rob an easier house."

On a side note: Lots of Detroiters used to get robbed the following way: The old houses had old "Milk doors" near their side doors that milk-men used for dairy delivery. These were small doors about 20" wide by 24" high. You can see them here: Milk Door at Back of House - 1950's on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/purpleslog/2129673139/ - broken link) Burglars would send a small child in through the milk door and the child would then open the big door from the inside and let the crooks in!! So the homeowners finally started either boarding the up or locking them from the inside.

Please keep this final point in mind when determining how far you want to leave your windows open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area