Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,582,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Definitely take the overly negative (almost to the point of calling out the "t" word) posters here like the post just above this one (as on any thread), with a large grain of salt. (and the overly positive ones you will see on other threads too, for that matter.)
Whew! I'm glad I'm not the "t" word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,912,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Whew! I'm glad I'm not the "t" word!
I see no need to sugar coat things and pretend things aren't what they are, that is the point of a board like this. It is disingenuous on my end to say: Fiesta District has potential to be great! At this time it doesn't, and I know that from 1st person opinions, not from mild offense to words used by strangers that I dislike. I wouldn't want to send OP to a bad area of town by sugar coating reality for him.

But that's just me.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I see no need to sugar coat things and pretend things aren't what they are, that is the point of a board like this. It is disingenuous on my end to say: Fiesta District has potential to be great! At this time it doesn't, and I know that from 1st person opinions, not from mild offense to words used by strangers that I dislike. I wouldn't want to send OP to a bad area of town by sugar coating reality for him.

But that's just me.

And I wasn't referring specifically to you, either. And I don't think I'm sugarcoating or cheerleading, either. Overly positive posts about any place are just as suspect as the overly negative ones.

Yesterday I directed a long time Mesa resident who is not a member here and is VERY familiar with Fiesta District and the recent history and upcoming developments in that area, as I thought he'd be interested in reading it. He wasn't impressed with the accuracy of what's being said here. Internet forums should always be taken with a grain of salt.

The OP has other options, for sure. If Fiesta district isn't the best choice now (Dobson Ranch area is certainly a good nearby option), it might turn out to be later. I think the city well knows they need to do something about that area, and they are. It does take time.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:56 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,586,622 times
I've lived in Sandstone Apartments off W. Emelita between Dobson and Longmore since early 2013. I'm still here. I don't hate the area at all. It's not the most high end part of town but, it's not the ghetto either. This would still probably be my 2nd pick for a West Mesa location. Dobson Ranch is a bit cleaner.
That being said there are a lot of pros to living here. Great food places all around. I doubt there is a more central location to be in the East Valley. A few miles north is Scottsdale, south is Chandler and if you throw a rock to the west you'll hit Tempe. The Fiesta District seems to be revitalizing and Mesa has been pumping some serious money into the area. The biggest con I've encountered was the construction mess that southern has been since I moved here. That project will be done in September finally and the results so far are awesome. I have some pretty cool neighbors and the population is very diverse. If considering this area, also consider the Dobson Ranch area just on the south side of the 60 as well as Tempe until you find the place you want to live. As much as Mesa gets bagged on... I'd put the Fiesta District on par with a lot of areas that are considered decent or nice within Phoenix city limits. Any urban area will have some crime but I've never felt unsafe living here. Keep in mind if you have kids however, I've been told we don't have the greatest schools here.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I don't see how in can improve. Why would people want to move to apartment buildings full of section 8 recipients. The homes are small and old also. Who wants to live in a neighborhood filled with massive trucks driving down the streets at all hours, people with screaming children playing in the street and police sirens due to domestic arguments. Lots of pit-bulls also because Mesa is known as the premier city of drug trafficking in the East Valley.
Its quite interesting how many trashy, tiny homes in Mesa have expensive trucks and pit-bulls barking as you walk by. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what those households do for a living.
My apartments do not accept section 8 or anyone with criminal background. People have been denied here for misdemeanors. Those single family homes are small and old John F. Long 60's houses. You'd be surprised how much those 1,100 SF houses are selling for right now though. They'd be decent starter homes if they weren't priced so high for what they are.
I replied to the one part of your post I cared to reply to in bold. The rest of your post was either some very good points (And you did have some) I won't contest or ridiculous biased points that I don't want to sit are and argue about.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

But that's just me.
It's really NOT a bad part of town. It isn't the greatest either I'll give you that but, it's an area Mesa is investing heavily in and a better area than most of Main St. , Stapley, Country Club, Mesa Dr and Gilbert Rd. ETC. through most of Mesa. This area isn't for everyone apparently but, it hasn't been a bad spot for me to live. When I first came out here, my office was in East Mesa. I stayed with family that moved out here before me for a few weeks and apartment hunted. I looked at AJ first (thought it would be nice to be toward the country) but, the town rubbed me as really dumpy. I than looked at both Mesa and Tempe. I hit this place on the way back toward Mesa from Tempe and rented. It wasn't a bad move at all. In retrospect, if I were looking to move to another apartment I'd look toward Tempe and Chandler as well. I didn't look into Chandler the first time around and it may be my favorite suburb that is still somewhat central. I just resigned my lease for another year it will be 4 years at the same place at the end of this lease (which is a record for me).

I have yet to be a victim of crime but, I lock my truck and apartment. We did have a scary incident about a year ago where that "skinhead" shooter shot some people at apartments around here and was apprehended right across the street from me. That crime spree started on Main St. though. He stole a car and was looking to hide from police. It was just a random unfortunate situation than he ended up here. The neighborhood is not a place of blight really. The apartment complexes on Emelita all seem to be doing work to update and are all pretty decent (Villeta, Sorrento, Vista Valley and Sandstone). The single family homes in the some neighborhood stretching from 8th Ave to Broadway aren't bad either. Smaller and older homes. Most seem decently kept.. Pretty clean overall.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,195,676 times
The Fiesta District has some good opportunity to become a prime destination for Mesa, instead of an area to stay away from. I can see some revitalization happening if only the community (along with investors) are willing to make it happen.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The Fiesta District has some good opportunity to become a prime destination for Mesa, instead of an area to stay away from. I can see some revitalization happening if only the community (along with investors) are willing to make it happen.
It's a work in progress but, it is happening right now. They built and occupied a large office complex on the NW corner of Longmore and Southern (where Circuit City and Bath Bath and Beyond used to be. they demo'd the strip mall). Also noticed some remodeled office space (maybe store front?) for lease adjacent to the fenced off lot with the Bennigans. That fenced off area still needs to be addressed and, I'm sure that run down abandoned shopping centers days are numbered.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM

975 posts, read 1,397,899 times
Really both the Fiesta District and Phoenix's equivalent (the Metrocenter area) aren't all that bad.

The problem with a lot of the Valley that will hamper redevelopment is that the housing stock in most "older" neighborhoods consists of very cheaply built houses that were built in the late 1950s - 1970s.

This is why Maryvale, Glendale, Metrocenter, and the Fiesta District are having trouble redeveloping. There's really no value to the housing stock but it would cost too much to demolish and replace it.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Really both the Fiesta District and Phoenix's equivalent (the Metrocenter area) aren't all that bad.

The problem with a lot of the Valley that will hamper redevelopment is that the housing stock in most "older" neighborhoods consists of very cheaply built houses that were built in the late 1950s - 1970s.

This is why Maryvale, Glendale, Metrocenter, and the Fiesta District are having trouble redeveloping. There's really no value to the housing stock but it would cost too much to demolish and replace it.
I foresee Mesa looking forward to a lot more commercial development here. Which makes sense considering this area is very central for East Valley commuters (approx. East Valley population 1.5 million.) That doesn't include the whole east side of Phoenix that this area would also be an easy commute from. If they could attract the business, than employees will start moving into the area and put some money into the homes.
There are quite a few neighborhoods with traditionally small, average houses that this in going on at. Particularly off of Indian School between the 17 and the 51. People, as well as investors are buying these homes up and doing major renovations resulting in a high end little home.

I can see the same kind of thing happening in the Fiesta District one day. I believe we are a long way off still.

One thing that caught my eye, from neighborhood cruising to get around rush hour traffic, was a little neighborhood near the Fiesta district. On Cottonwood, Esquire and El Dorado streets just south of Broadway and east of the 101. Maybe a little off topic as this is outside the fiesta district but, that neighborhood is cool. All large horse property lots and really nice big older houses(probably 60's and 70's). The location trips me out. They look like your old Gilbert ranch homes. Who would have thought you could have horse property right on Broadway in West Mesa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area