Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:31 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I like Chase - and I think this is just a ploy - besides they really have no choice - to prove the facility is not "state of the art" will require a long protracted court battle and only shave off a few years from their lease obligation now.

HOWEVER, the DREAMER in me thinks that putting it central between the two population centers of PHX and Tucson someday would make sense since I think it will be a long time before Tucson ever has its own MLB franchise. The Dbacks already try to market to Tucson folks, but that is a long day when you go 2 hours each way and a 3 hour game plus parking time etc.

However, some of the people who are now only 20 minutes away may not make the drive to CG or somewhere on the GRIC.
The Diamondbacks killed a lot of goodwill in Tucson when they:

a.) Did not put forward any effort whatsoever to keep their AAA team in Tucson

and

b.) Chose to pull the same crap that they're pulling on Maricopa County to Pima County by vacating a 13 year old spring training facility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Building it at Talking Stick goes against all modern urban planning trends, which indicate that event centers such as arenas and ballparks should be built in downtown areas.
I totally agree, so that's why I was a little surprised when the Atlanta Braves decided to move closer to the northern suburbs and leave Turner Field, which is only 20 years old. But they wanted to be closer to their season ticket holders and control all of the development around the stadium and Cobb County seemed more than happy to throw $392 million at them.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I totally agree, so that's why I was a little surprised when the Atlanta Braves decided to move closer to the northern suburbs and leave Turner Field, which is only 20 years old. But they wanted to be closer to their season ticket holders and control all of the development around the stadium and Cobb County seemed more than happy to throw $392 million at them.
Neither Phoenix, Maricopa County, nor the State should throw any money at the Diamondbacks.

If they can get a better deal from Austin, Las Vegas, Portland, or the Salt River tribe, great, let them move.

Just don't throw any taxpayer dollars at it.

Plus, it's almost a certainty that baseball at Talking Stick will be an attendance disaster. I can't believe that they can't realize that it's an awful place to have 6:40 p.m. weeknight games.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
If they can get a better deal from Austin, Las Vegas, Portland, or the Salt River tribe, great, let them move.
I hear Montreal is actually the #1 MLB expansion/relocation city, followed by maybe San Antonio.

April Exhibitions Fuel Talk of Montreal MLB

Big League Weekend in the Alamodome: A Precursor?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I hear Montreal is actually the #1 MLB expansion/relocation city, followed by maybe San Antonio.

April Exhibitions Fuel Talk of Montreal MLB

Big League Weekend in the Alamodome: A Precursor?
Good. Let the Diamondbacks milk Montreal for a $600 - 800 million stadium.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
I don't get the feeling the discussion is to move out of AZ - but rather into another city or venue here in AZ - most likely in the valley. Again - I think this is all a big ploy and they aren't going anywhere for a while - and I am a Dbacks fan.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:33 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I don't get the feeling the discussion is to move out of AZ - but rather into another city or venue here in AZ - most likely in the valley. Again - I think this is all a big ploy and they aren't going anywhere for a while - and I am a Dbacks fan.
Rumor says there might be a nice stadium available in Glendale for someone like the D'backs. Indoor baseball with "super cool ice floor effect!" anyone?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
That stadium was built to last 50+ years. There is nothing wrong with it and any amenity can be updated without a major overhaul.
The Diamondbacks have gone down hill since they won the World Series and Colangelo left. An embarrassment to the taxpayers and especially since the owner and his wife are deeply into politics spreading around their millions of dark money.
I bet there are other teams across the country that would love to be here.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Well, wouldn't that stink for all the people who have screamed at try top of their lungs about downtown revitalization and the need for light rail? Without sports arenas, downtown will essentially return to where it was in the 1980s. A deserted wasteland where people only come to work and the try to vacate by 5 PM. I am sure the city will press the county hard to retain the team at Chase. The city has tried desperately for years to have people take downtown seriously. This would put a nail in that coffin. Phoenix leaders don't have the foresight nor the ability to make downtown a place that would be attractive with arenas like NY.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Well, wouldn't that stink for all the people who have screamed at try top of their lungs about downtown revitalization and the need for light rail? Without sports arenas, downtown will essentially return to where it was in the 1980s. A deserted wasteland where people only come to work and the try to vacate by 5 PM. I am sure the city will press the county hard to retain the team at Chase. The city has tried desperately for years to have people take downtown seriously. This would put a nail in that coffin. Phoenix leaders don't have the foresight nor the ability to make downtown a place that would be attractive with arenas like NY.
Agreed on this. The only time I'm downtown for a significant amount of time is for a sporting event and the occasional concert. There is issue with both sides in this. I can't see how a stadium that new needs so much needed maintenance. I've been the plenty of ball parks around the country and it's one of the nicer ones and seems kept up very well. But if they also aren't honoring the maintenance agreement, then the Dbacks have a right to be upset.

I have no idea where they think they'd go that would fund another stadium for them though. Not in AZ anyway. I think it's just a talking point to get things done and done quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area