Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:29 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,912 times

Advertisements

I'm 62, self employed/semi retired, and looking at Buckeye as a destination, along with Surprise, and Goodyear.

If I could get some positives and negatives about Buckeye, it would be appreciated. Any reason it would be a mistake to relocate there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:24 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
All of those towns are on the Western outskirts of the Metro area so it depends on if you have to commute anywhere. All 3 have some newer construction and nicer areas and I have a number of friends that LOVE Surprise. If you are working from home that would be my choice. Or look at Verrado.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 AM

143 posts, read 300,630 times
I live in the community of Verrado which is in Buckeye. The city covers a large area of land with a population of around 62K now. It would help me answer your questions if you listed out your general areas of interest or any specific questions.

I enjoy living out here and I think Buckeye does a good job of providing city services. They just opened a new park at the south side of the White Tank Mountains, Skyline Regional Park. The trails out there are great as well as the picnic area. The area I live in has a small town feel but I can be on I-10 and heading into Phoenix in very little time.

We do have quite a few farms in the area as well as Luke AFB. Depending upon where you relocate you can get farm smell and jet noise every now and then. I have no problem with either. I have an organic farm right down the road and I'm retired Air Force so I enjoy seeing the fighter jets fly over.

If you have specific questions or interests please let me know.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 PM

200 posts, read 447,597 times
Depends what kind of lifestyle you prefer.

Buckeye is an old farming community with some elements of being a Phoenix Bedroom community. You'll see a lot of farm trucks in the parking lots along with the economy cars from the planned communities.

If you're looking for a specific retirement community, the one in Buckeye seems nice. Has a golf course. Grocery stores, a handful of restaurants. Very "sleepy" area.

If you want something more upscale; Verrado is a nice self contained community with well maintained streets for walking, several parks, a pool, it's own grocery store, a pharmacy, a nice coffee shop etc.
I would say it might be the littlest bit "Stepford" though.

If you are looking for something a little more "back to the land" on a smaller scale, there are a lot of nice lots in Buckeye that have very open zoning to allow gardens, horses and sometimes livestock.

What Surprise has going for it is a lot in the way of town-amenities, all at your fingertips. Lots of restaurants and stores, and a very LARGE retirement community.

Whatever you decide though? Don't set up a property online without seeing it. You wont know till you get there if you're near a dairy farm (Buckeye) or in a scorpion migration path (Verrado).

Old 03-25-2016, 11:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
All of three of those cities are good choices, however, I like Goodyear for its ease of getting to the rest of the valley.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Why does everyone forget about WADDELL????

Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,912 times
Thanks to everyone for responding. I lost my wife a few years ago, our plan was moving to Az. Now I'm on my own, and still having the same itch.

My interests are riding a motorcycle, music, firearm sports, biking, and hiking. I don't need to commute to work daily. I stay pretty much to myself, and have no need for the lure of the city, or massive crowds.

If anyone else would care to respond, I would appreciate it.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 10,145 times
I love Surprise, it has it all, stores, recreation, medical and hospital. Good police and fire protection.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:25 AM

143 posts, read 300,630 times
I would suggest checking out Verrado. It is a beautiful community with tree lined streets. We have trail heads into the White Tank Mountains right here in the community and a very active hiking club. I see large groups of bike riders stop at the local grocery store and coffee shop every weekend. In the spring and fall the HOA puts on about 8 music events every season at one of our parks. You bring out your chair or blanket and enjoy the music in the park. Buckeye also puts on music events at one of their parks in Sundance just down the road. You see people and kids walking, biking and playing all over the place. We have something like 60 parks of different types in the community.

We have a fire station here in the community as well as a good police presence. The police chief lives here as well as the city mayor.

One other poster said something about scorpions. We had a few scorpions when we first moved in, the has had been unoccupied for 6 months. Keep your house and garage clean. Keep yard debris away from the foundation and entry points of you house and you won't have problems. I haven't seen a scorpion in my house in about a year.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM

586 posts, read 541,313 times
I would take a look at Estrella with those interests. There are 2 motorcycle groups here who ride together. @ Lakes to walk around. A few mountain trails. Firearm shooting just a few miles away in the desert. A residents club with fitness center and swimming pool. Free outdoor concerts a few times a year. It's a nice quiet community with houses available starting around $200K with reasonable HOA of $79 per month and a nice golf course. Some shopping such a Safeway, Walgreens, a pizza place and most stuff less than 20 minutes away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
Thanks to everyone for responding. I lost my wife a few years ago, our plan was moving to Az. Now I'm on my own, and still having the same itch.

My interests are riding a motorcycle, music, firearm sports, biking, and hiking. I don't need to commute to work daily. I stay pretty much to myself, and have no need for the lure of the city, or massive crowds.

If anyone else would care to respond, I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area