Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:40 PM

55 posts, read 86,830 times

Advertisements

Where else can i look online for housing besides Craigslist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing4me View Post
Where else can i look online for housing besides Craigslist
Zillow.com

Old 03-29-2016, 05:03 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
I work just on the Glendale side of Camelback, but basically in Maryvale. I spend a lot of time there...Whenever I shop, run errands, or get food during the day, it's in Maryvale. It definitely isn't the best neighborhood by any means. It's reputation is worse than it actually is, but there is a good amount of truth to a lot of it. There are definitely drug and gang issues in Maryvale, but it is a lot more low-income than it is dangerous. You could probably live there and be just fine, but I'd suggest looking elsewhere if you have other options.

South of Van Buren isn't very good either.

This isn't correct. Once you get past the Metro Center, the neighborhoods along the 17 are just fine. You don't have to go past the 101.

While I certainly don't disagree that Maryvale isn't the best neighborhood, the hyperbole in this post is ridiculous. It seems like every post from this person I've seen in the last several days does nothing but talk about how Phoenix is the worst of the worst.
I'm not familiar with South of the I-10 that much in West Valley, I thought that would be a safe marker. There are nice areas in the Estrella neighborhood so it ends at some point.

I disagree. While Alhambra itself actually ends around there, it's sphere of influence extends Northward. To be fair it's a small two mile wide stretch to avoid. My old high school boundaries encompassed some of this area, near the 101, and lots of crimes or fights happened in the neighborhoods near the 101/I-17 loop (SW corner, south of AMC 30). You can find comparable quality housing and prices west of 35th and not have the crime or bad air pollution of the freeways either, so why not? School districts won't change either for the most part. East of 19th is generally the go to for that side of the I-17.

I take lovecrowd's posts with a grain of salt. Sometimes that particular poster has a shred of truth but it is always over-exaggerated. Especially with their particular view point of Arizona it's hard to take their posts seriously.

OP if you work in Maryvale I would recommend looking West of there. Affordable, newer homes in Avondale, Litchfield, and near Luke AFB. With the new Northern Parkway being built you can look into Waddell and the southern end of Surprise. There are also nice homes near Westgate (Cardinals stadium) that would work for you. You can also look North, in Glendale I would start north of Northern or Olive Avenue. In Peoria I would start at Cactus. These will be affordable, older homes (I live in this area, my home is from the 70s) but the neighborhoods are quiet.

Housing can be found on sites like zillow.com, realtor.com, apartments.com... Lots of options besides Craigslist.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:21 PM

226 posts, read 227,345 times
Sheesh... you people make Maryvale sound like it's the pit of hell. It's not THAT bad.
Some of the best Mexican restaurants in Phoenix are the little "hole in the wall" places in Maryvale... and there is an awesome Vietnamese restaurant called Pho 43 at the intersection of 43rd Avenue and Thomas Road. So - it's not the end of the world (although you may be able to see it from Maryvale, LOL!

Old 03-29-2016, 05:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Sheesh... you people make Maryvale sound like it's the pit of hell. It's not THAT bad.
Some of the best Mexican restaurants in Phoenix are the little "hole in the wall" places in Maryvale... and there is an awesome Vietnamese restaurant called Pho 43 at the intersection of 43rd Avenue and Thomas Road. So - it's not the end of the world (although you may be able to see it from Maryvale, LOL!
Agreed, I'm pretty partial to Guero Canelo myself, but I wouldn't live in Maryvale (again). I'll visit and eat not live.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:30 PM

445 posts, read 515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I'm not familiar with South of the I-10 that much in West Valley, I thought that would be a safe marker. There are nice areas in the Estrella neighborhood so it ends at some point.
It does, but with very few exceptions you have to go pretty far west before it gets better (most of Laveen isn't too bad as an example). Parts of Tolleson aren't the best, but I believe most of the neighborhoods west of there are fine south of the 10. I'm admittedly not as familiar with that part of the Valley so someone else may be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
I disagree. While Alhambra itself actually ends around there, it's sphere of influence extends Northward. To be fair it's a small two mile wide stretch to avoid. My old high school boundaries encompassed some of this area, near the 101, and lots of crimes or fights happened in the neighborhoods near the 101/I-17 loop (SW corner, south of AMC 30). You can find comparable quality housing and prices west of 35th and not have the crime or bad air pollution of the freeways either, so why not? School districts won't change either for the most part. East of 19th is generally the go to for that side of the I-17.
Agree that east of 19th is probably a bit better, but there are some very nice areas east of 35th between Peoria and Cactus and also around Greenway and then again north of Bell Rd. Perhaps it was a different story some years ago but I know several people that live in those areas I mentioned and their neighborhoods are just fine.

Quote:
I take lovecrowd's posts with a grain of salt. Sometimes that particular poster has a shred of truth but it is always over-exaggerated. Especially with their particular view point of Arizona it's hard to take their posts seriously.

OP if you work in Maryvale I would recommend looking West of there. Affordable, newer homes in Avondale, Litchfield, and near Luke AFB. With the new Northern Parkway being built you can look into Waddell and the southern end of Surprise. There are also nice homes near Westgate (Cardinals stadium) that would work for you. You can also look North, in Glendale I would start north of Northern or Olive Avenue. In Peoria I would start at Cactus. These will be affordable, older homes (I live in this area, my home is from the 70s) but the neighborhoods are quiet.

Housing can be found on sites like zillow.com, realtor.com, apartments.com... Lots of options besides Craigslist.
I agree with all of this. Some of the areas mentioned near Waddell and Luke might create a bit of a lengthy commute if the OP is going to be working in Maryvale (I don't think that's the case...I believe he/she said that it was just an area he/she had heard about). But you hit the nail on the head with the boundaries of where to look in Glendale and Peoria. Those are for the most part nice, established neighborhoods that won't break the bank. Maryvale would be cheaper of course, but for very good reason.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:44 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
Realtor.com. I found my place there.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM

Steering away from Maryvale for the sake of my kids but if you guys could be so kind and give me a few zip codes of areas that are reasonable

Old 03-29-2016, 06:39 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Can you give us a better idea where you want/need to be? Is there a job, activity, that you need or would like to be near? Other than east camelback area and spending 3/4 of a million on a home, there are good places within a mile or two of bad places all throughout the valley.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 PM

I'm going to be attending university of phoenix. I have 4 elementary school children. So nearby schools. Looking for something centralized. I have family in Peoria and Tucson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area