Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 03:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This made me laugh, but to each their own!
Every single time he/she writes ANYTHING about the Phoenix metro area I laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 05:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger21 View Post
Depends if the majority of the population out there is as under educated, under employed, and rife with single parent households as the majority of the valley is.
If you want to say that about the valley, you better include the entire US of A.

Maricopa County has about 4 million residents. About 85% of them are white. The median value of an owner-occupied home is $175,600 and the median gross rent is over $900. Where do people move here from? In Wisconsin the median is $167,100. In Minnesota, it's $187,99. In Illinois, it's $182,300. Of course it's not sensible to compare anywhere in AZ to states where housing value are very inflated, such as California or Massachusetts. My point is, Maricopa County's median is reasonable.

More than 86% of the population has a high school degree and 30% have one or more college degrees. That is almost EXACTLY the national average for people between the ages of 25 and 65, according to the Census Bureau.

Maricopa county's median household income (figured in 2014 dollars) is $53,689. That compares favorably to the U.S. average which was $51,939 in 2014. About 17% of county residents live at the Federal poverty level (compared to 13.5% nationally). 26% of the population is under 18 and about 14% are over 65.

There is nothing unusual about single-parent households. This chart from U.S. county public health rankings shows that the percentage of single parent households in Maricopa County is better than the state's average. Only four counties rank slightly lower.
Health Rankings | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps
In fact, Maricopa county's statistic for single parent households is far better than the national average, which the Pew Research Center estimates is now more than 50%, more than three times the number in 1960.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-01-2016 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-02-2016, 12:58 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If you want to say that about the valley, you better include the entire US of A.

Maricopa County has about 4 million residents. About 85% of them are white. The median value of an owner-occupied home is $175,600 and the median gross rent is over $900. Where do people move here from? In Wisconsin the median is $167,100. In Minnesota, it's $187,99. In Illinois, it's $182,300. Of course it's not sensible to compare anywhere in AZ to states where housing value are very inflated, such as California or Massachusetts. My point is, Maricopa County's median is reasonable.

More than 86% of the population has a high school degree and 30% have one or more college degrees. That is almost EXACTLY the national average for people between the ages of 25 and 65, according to the Census Bureau.

Maricopa county's median household income (figured in 2014 dollars) is $53,689. That compares favorably to the U.S. average which was $51,939 in 2014. About 17% of county residents live at the Federal poverty level (compared to 13.5% nationally). 26% of the population is under 18 and about 14% are over 65.

There is nothing unusual about single-parent households. This chart from U.S. county public health rankings shows that the percentage of single parent households in Maricopa County is better than the state's average. Only four counties rank slightly lower.
Health Rankings | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps
In fact, Maricopa county's statistic for single parent households is far better than the national average, which the Pew Research Center estimates is now more than 50%, more than three times the number in 1960.
The only concern about your comparisons is that you are comparing Maricopa County (with rich areas and poor areas) to entire Midwest states which isn't a fair comparison. It would be more fair to compare city by city, as most people move here for cheap housing WHILE having city amenities. So if we compare Phoenix metro's median house costs versus Minneapolis, or Chicago, or Indianapolis... that we be more justified.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
^^^^^ I agree JTW.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,490 times
Queen Creek is constantly making very good progress since it gets something new every day and it keeps becoming more similar to Gilbert in terms of affluence. However, STV doesn't seem to be going anywhere since there is NO economic/commercial development whatsoever, most of it is still trashy, and its way too cheap to ever become nice. So in short words, Queen Creek could very well become a notably affluent area, STV not so much.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Development patterns over time in the metro suggest exactly the opposite of what you imply. Older areas decline and newer areas improve. Maryvale did not start out at the top of affluence, but that whole area was middle class in the 1980s. It declined as people moved out to the exurbs. People move further and further out for new homes, the latest in shopping malls, theaters, etc and the old areas turn into, while not Maryvales, certainly less desirable areas. It's already happened to vast areas of Phoenix proper, Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale, and even Chandler.
I generally agree about the leap frog development element, but there are instances where location and home build quality negate this problem. For example, the Broadmoor/Mach8 area of Tempe is old, but maintains a reasonable quality because 1) Orbit runs right up the middle of it providing free public transportation into both Downtown Tempe/ASU and the Light Rail and 2) those houses are built very well. Some are 60+ years old and are impeccable.

Contrasted with Maryvale and other John F. Long homes which while quality enough to stand, are comprised of low cost materials and little incentive for upgrade. Why fix the plywood roof of a John F. Long when you can either roof paint over the shingles or place a tarp and some bricks?

This will be a problem for a lot of Peoria, Glendale and other similar areas. These areas offer cheap housing and not much else, the areas that offer housing and more (location, transportation, jobs and schools). Maryvale and the like offer none of that. Laveen is the same way. Tolleson, Avondale et al. Areas like Chandler will survive and are surviving in the older parts pretty decently because of the employment available in Chandler that others don't offer.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:37 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Tolleson, Avondale et al. Areas like Chandler will survive and are surviving in the older parts pretty decently because of the employment available in Chandler that others don't offer.
Where Chandler seems to lag is public transportation despite the high amount of employment. Currently, Chandler ranks sixth in total bus ridership behind Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, and Glendale, despite having more employment (especially in the tech industry) than Mesa or Glendale. Chandler needs more bus service and IMO should have light rail lines along Chandler Boulevard (Pink Line) and Rural Road (Brown Line). A downtown circulator route wouldn't hurt either, considering Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, and Glendale have such routes.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM

255 posts, read 235,936 times
Queen Creek is exploding, in everything, new store's, new restaurant's, 1000's & 1000's new homes coming
Right now, They are building there 1st new Fire Station, new police station for the future Queen Creek Police department
a 3rd new fire station 413 is going up on Sossman rd & Queen Creek Rd later this summer, plus 2 more are coming Station 414 at Riggs Rd & Signal Butte Rd and Station 415 & Queen Creek Rd & Signal Butte Rd, Also there is another large shopping center going in Ellsworth loop & Hunt Highway, Germann Rd is being built from Rittenhouse to Ironwoood, 3 new bridges over the railroad tracks for Germann Rd, Sossman Rd & Riggs Rd are coming to prepare for high speed rail
going right threw the middle of the town, SR24 Freeway is going to be expanded to Ironwood Rd , that just for starters

Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 PM

581 posts, read 920,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I like Queen Creek as it's much like Gilbert. Gilbert and Queen Creek offer a nice suburban lifestyle.

Queen Creek is and will continue to be a mecca of upper-middle class families who like a big house for a good price. It is a very stable area that growing fast and for good reason.

Most of the homes are new which is what a majority of Valley prefer. It has HOA's to keep the undesirable residents out. It is sterile, clean and very safe which is also a big benefit.

Queen Creek and Gilbert are the best cities by far for the dollar in the Phoenix area. Having lived in Gilbert it is amazing how superior Queen Creek and Gilbert are to other parts of the area.
As a person looking for the best place to retire, I have been viewing this forum for a while. Phoenix suburbs are on my short list. I have looked at Queens Creek and like the new developments. I have also looked at homes in Paradise Valley and am equally impressed. Why isn't Paradise Valley in this discussion? The location is certainly closer to the city and airport.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:48 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
As a person looking for the best place to retire, I have been viewing this forum for a while. Phoenix suburbs are on my short list. I have looked at Queens Creek and like the new developments. I have also looked at homes in Paradise Valley and am equally impressed. Why isn't Paradise Valley in this discussion? The location is certainly closer to the city and airport.
The average person can't afford to live in Paradise Valley. Mostly very affluent people live there.

As far as Queen Creek, I don't see it being a bad area anytime soon, if ever. The only thing that may affect QC is if there was a really severe housing crash. But I think places like Chandler, Mesa, or even Gilbert would suffer before QC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area