U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 PM

255 posts, read 160,592 times

Advertisements

San Tan Valley cannot inc. for better service's such as there own police & Fire departments
because Queen Creek & Florence will not let them because big area's are in there growth area's
Queen Creek already has annexed land in Pinal County such as the NW corner Combs & Ganzel Rd
and is trying to annex the other corner with the shopping center & Banner Ironwood Hospital, Florence is also
trying to annex sub divisions in San Tan Valley
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 AM

585 posts, read 675,096 times
You all have convinced me to stay in the Paradise Valley/ North Scottsdale area. That was my first inclination. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 AM

3,367 posts, read 7,074,346 times
If anyone is really interested in the future of Queen Creek, they should look up the Box Canyon plan. This is over 2,000 acres South of Hunt Highway at Power Rd (2 miles SE of Seville in Gilbert). This is a future master planned community with native desert which will be built into the Santan foothills and is planned to have a resort. The comparisons by the developer are to Desert Mountain, Troon North and Las Sendas. Queen Creek is very nice with many luxury housing options and larger lots than other East Valley communities on average, and they have started to get some retail with things like Sprouts, Target and Kohls, has good schools as well. but to me it is still the distant location thing that is the big negative.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,392,136 times
Maryvale is an extreme. I don't think it's going to be another Chandler or Gilbert. At some point, you are too far away from the epicenter that you are not going to be a feasible option for most people who have choice as to where they can live. People like their space to a point. When your commute to work exceeds a certain time, it doesn't make much sense to live that far away.

Queen Creek will be like certain parts of south and southeast Chandler where the growth will not really be there because it's just too damn far away, but that doesn't mean they will become ghettos.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,858,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I'm new to the Phoenix area and was going off the recommendations of friends who are local full time residents that I worked with in California. The friend with the longest tenure has about 6 years. I'm trying to get it right the first time so that I don't regret where I buy later. So any insight is appreciated. My home base is the west side of Los Angeles, with my house now on the market. I have a second home in Indian Wells, CA (long time Coachella Valley home owner). I'm looking to leave California for all the reasons so many others are.
Gilbert and Queen Creek are a bit like the Temecula area, with a bit more desert/valley feel. PV is a bit more like Santa Clarita/Simi Valley/Burbankish, and again a bit more desert. If I had to compare the two, I'd think of it like this. Now people will say PV is like OC without the beach, but I don't see it. Hope that helps.

You really should rent first so you're sure. It's harder to sell here if you don't like it. It's not like CA real estate, you have plenty of time to look, you don't have to grab the first thing you like here.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:02 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,494,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
If anyone is really interested in the future of Queen Creek, they should look up the Box Canyon plan. This is over 2,000 acres South of Hunt Highway at Power Rd (2 miles SE of Seville in Gilbert). This is a future master planned community with native desert which will be built into the Santan foothills and is planned to have a resort. The comparisons by the developer are to Desert Mountain, Troon North and Las Sendas. Queen Creek is very nice with many luxury housing options and larger lots than other East Valley communities on average, and they have started to get some retail with things like Sprouts, Target and Kohls, has good schools as well. but to me it is still the distant location thing that is the big negative.
Are you referring to this area?

Future outlook of Queen Creek - affluent or ghetto?-box-canyon.jpg

If so...on one had that is great because I thought you were referring to the ACTUAL Box Canyon East of Florence which is one of our favorite off-road runs. On the other hand...nothing like developing more open desert into cookie-cutter homes. Funny how they say on one hand the average density will remain at 1.8 homes per acre and on the other they are talking about condos. Also they are talking about having to preserve archaeological sites...which NEVER happens once you mix people into an area. Course a 40 year plan is always doable.

Owners Envision 1,648-Acre QC Master Planned Community | Arizona Builders Exchange

Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Are you referring to this area?

Attachment 169248

If so...on one had that is great because I thought you were referring to the ACTUAL Box Canyon East of Florence which is one of our favorite off-road runs. On the other hand...nothing like developing more open desert into cookie-cutter homes. Funny how they say on one hand the average density will remain at 1.8 homes per acre and on the other they are talking about condos. Also they are talking about having to preserve archaeological sites...which NEVER happens once you mix people into an area. Course a 40 year plan is always doable.

Owners Envision 1,648-Acre QC Master Planned Community | Arizona Builders Exchange
That's the area. Yes 1.8 per acre would be after preserving some hillsides and other open space areas which are included in the land, so the actual subdivisions will be more dense. I think the actual area is over 2,000 acres though.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:58 AM

18,677 posts, read 6,728,894 times
To people that say STV and the like won't be ghetto, one needs to look no further than our next door neighbor by the sea. The Victorville/Hesperia/Adelanto area before the 2008 crash was Greater LA's version of San Tan Valley, way out in BFE where people only wanted to move for homes that were cheaper than in places like Downey and El Monte. But post crash, where Victor Valley prices fell much faster than the LA Basin or San Gabriel Valley, middle class families moved back inward, and poor people and gang members started moving in. I've heard that Victorville has as high a percentage of Bloods/Capita as parts of South Central these days.

I think that in 20 years or less, STV and Maricopa and Tartesso way out in Northwest Buckeye could follow the same trend

Old 05-06-2016, 07:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 893,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
To people that say STV and the like won't be ghetto, one needs to look no further than our next door neighbor by the sea. The Victorville/Hesperia/Adelanto area before the 2008 crash was Greater LA's version of San Tan Valley, way out in BFE where people only wanted to move for homes that were cheaper than in places like Downey and El Monte. But post crash, where Victor Valley prices fell much faster than the LA Basin or San Gabriel Valley, middle class families moved back inward, and poor people and gang members started moving in. I've heard that Victorville has as high a percentage of Bloods/Capita as parts of South Central these days.

I think that in 20 years or less, STV and Maricopa and Tartesso way out in Northwest Buckeye could follow the same trend
I know someone who owns some rental properties in the High Desert and unfortunately a lot of this is true. A lot of Section 8 families or other families on fixed incomes who aren't necessarily tied to a job or location find the cheap homes in the High Desert much better/nicer than what they had in the LA Basin and therefore make the move up the hill. So that is certainly a real trend, although I can't speak to any gang activity.

I think much like Buckeye, Queen Creek/San Tan Valley are always going to have a lot of people moving in and out after stays of X years, it's starter-home country for a lot of people. I know a number of people who used to live in Buckeye and then moved closer in to the city/their jobs when they could afford to. Don't know many people from QC/STV for whatever reason. Doesn't mean there aren't some really nice communities out there -- there are! -- but the sheer distance will always, always keep prices per square foot down relative to communities with better locations. Fortunately there are always retirees, work-from-home people, and people who travel a lot for work so don't have to make a daily commute ... therefore, much like Buckeye, you can still have some nice areas maintained even as the rest of the community may remain / turn into low-priced homes with their attendant problems.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

The thing that places like Victorville and Palmdale have against them in addition to a distant location from town, it is also in a much worse climate making it undesirable. Here in Phoenix, STV is in an identical climate as Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, etc so it probably will never be as bad as the comparison. STV does attract a lot of lower income residents (those that can afford cars at least, not extreme impoverished), young families just starting out, retirees and people with good jobs in Florence who want to live closer to town. Victorville is not the best comparison despite the similar distant locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or