Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:23 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,542,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
In order to have a conversation, you need to understand the meaning of the word. I'll spell it out for you.

Judge: (verb)
To regard (someone) as either good or bad.

Judging: (transitive verb)
To form an estimate or evaluation of; especially : to form a negative opinion about <Example: shouldn't judge him because of his accent.

Yea, you are judging.
I won't argue semantics. The point is, I'm not saying you or any other Surprise residents are an idiot or a bad person. I simply pointed out facts that really cannot be argued. Again, it's great that you see value in it. You can't deny it's (narrow) value proposition though. The fact that you got so bent out of shape may be telling.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,583,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm not judging at all. I don't know you nor care enough to form an opinion about you. I've stated facts. Surprise is comparatively lacking when stacked up against more established, better located cities. It is in the boonies. A quick glance at a map will confirm that. Housing is cheap there, so that is what seems to weigh out the glaring negatives. Just own it. If you find value in that, great. I'm glad it works for you. Not sure why you're so offended then.
I'm willing to bet many people don't feel that being in the boonies is a negative....
People have different priorities. I feel that some aspects you consider negatives are some people's positives.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,612,593 times
Pathetic thread. Nearly all of the outlying suburbs were cow pastures, agricultural fields, or open desert not too long ago. Now we have people discussing which suburb has the nicest strip malls, most desirable chain restaurants and taco bell style homes. It's all bland suburban crap the blends into one another. The only way you know you're in a new city is when the color of the street signs change, especially in the East Valley. I have never been "wowed" by Scottsdale and I don't think it really holds a candle to any "exclusive" city in California, even Irvine. Especially funny is the "Gilbots" who live in cookie cutter homes on land that cows did their business on less than 30 years ago. Now those people want to stick their noses in their air like they live in some exclusive community. Hilarious and sad at the same time. Raise your standards.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM

9,675 posts, read 11,032,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I won't argue semantics. The point is, I'm not saying you or any other Surprise residents are an idiot or a bad person. I simply pointed out facts that really cannot be argued. Again, it's great that you see value in it. You can't deny it's (narrow) value proposition though. The fact that you got so bent out of shape may be telling.
I'm in a town of 125,000 people. It's new and there is more infrastructure here than in the vast majority of American towns. Sure, there are a lot of towns that have advantages (arts, dining, shopping, walkability, etc, etc). But more often than not, trade-offs exist. This should be common knowledge.

I like Scottsdale. I love parts of Scottsdale. But I personally find the vast majority of Scottsdale houses unacceptable. The same thing here in Surprise. I find over 80% of the homes not up to what I am looking for in a home. Especially the neighborhoods. Cut paste and repeat in Mesa, Glendale, etc. Some hoods are noy so good while other areas are wonderful to MY eyes. I happen to work out of the home. I am in my neighborhood 20 out of 24 hours a day. The 20,000 people of Sun City Grand (mostly millionaires) also are enjoying their oasis while golfing and spending time in their neighborhood. For me I mandate room, tall ceilings, and the neighborhood feel. It trump things like shopping and proximity to the arts etc. If I worked out of the home all day and spent time sleeping and on weekends, then my priorities would change.

If you actually spent time in Surprise (or Mesa or Glendale or Gilbert or ???) you would understand what I just said. If you have been to Verrado that is what the homes feel like in our neighborhood. A perfect spot for me in Scottsdale is DC Ranch (same developer as Verrado and Marley Park where I live). It’s a cut above the average homes in Scottsdale. There is a $300K premium over the average cost of a Scottsdale home. It is about $500K more than my current 2nd home. But to use the word “dumpy” and Surprise is nonsense. There are swatches of Scottsdale that are far worse 12 year old developments in Surprise. Any yes, there are many neighborhood superior to me eyes in Surprise versus Scottsdale. I don’t put ALL of Glendale, Mesa, etc in the same bucket.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 12,210,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Pathetic thread. Nearly all of the outlying suburbs were cow pastures, agricultural fields, or open desert not too long ago. Now we have people discussing which suburb has the nicest strip malls, most desirable chain restaurants and taco bell style homes. It's all bland suburban crap the blends into one another. The only way you know you're in a new city is when the color of the street signs change, especially in the East Valley. I have never been "wowed" by Scottsdale and I don't think it really holds a candle to any "exclusive" city in California, even Irvine. Especially funny is the "Gilbots" who live in cookie cutter homes on land that cows did their business on less than 30 years ago. Now those people want to stick their noses in their air like they live in some exclusive community. Hilarious and sad at the same time. Raise your standards.
The Mesa Fiesta District has those red/pink/magenta street name signs, and that is a fairly old and rough area although the city has been trying to improve the area.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:45 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,726,173 times
Quote:

Old 04-05-2016, 01:56 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,893,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'm in a town of 125,000 people. It's new and there is more infrastructure here than in the vast majority of American towns. Sure, there are a lot of towns that have advantages (arts, dining, shopping, walkability, etc, etc). But more often than not, trade-offs exist. This should be common knowledge.

I like Scottsdale. I love parts of Scottsdale. But I personally find the vast majority of Scottsdale houses unacceptable. The same thing here in Surprise. I find over 80% of the homes not up to what I am looking for in a home. Especially the neighborhoods. Cut paste and repeat in Mesa, Glendale, etc. Some hoods are noy so good while other areas are wonderful to MY eyes. I happen to work out of the home. I am in my neighborhood 20 out of 24 hours a day. The 20,000 people of Sun City Grand (mostly millionaires) also are enjoying their oasis while golfing and spending time in their neighborhood. For me I mandate room, tall ceilings, and the neighborhood feel. It trump things like shopping and proximity to the arts etc. If I worked out of the home all day and spent time sleeping and on weekends, then my priorities would change.

If you actually spent time in Surprise (or Mesa or Glendale or Gilbert or ???) you would understand what I just said. If you have been to Verrado that is what the homes feel like in our neighborhood. A perfect spot for me in Scottsdale is DC Ranch (same developer as Verrado and Marley Park where I live). It’s a cut above the average homes in Scottsdale. There is a $300K premium over the average cost of a Scottsdale home. It is about $500K more than my current 2nd home. But to use the word “dumpy” and Surprise is nonsense. There are swatches of Scottsdale that are far worse 12 year old developments in Surprise. Any yes, there are many neighborhood superior to me eyes in Surprise versus Scottsdale. I don’t put ALL of Glendale, Mesa, etc in the same bucket.
Copper Canyon Ranch is pretty nice in Surprise too.
It all about priority. I'm all about location and on the whole Surprise offers very little that isn't available anywhere else except the Royals, Golf Cart Lanes, and Tennis Courts. I remember when the only restaurant open after 10 was the Friday's that closed on Bell. Yawn. But if I were retired I guess my priorities would be different.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Some people view a glass 1/2 full while others more negative folks view it 1/2 empty. Yours is bone dry. For this and all of the rest of your posts, you win the "Quintessential C-D Curmudgeon Award".

Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Copper Canyon Ranch is pretty nice in Surprise too.
It all about priority. I'm all about location and on the whole Surprise offers very little that isn't available anywhere else except the Royals, Golf Cart Lanes, and Tennis Courts. I remember when the only restaurant open after 10 was the Friday's that closed on Bell. Yawn. But if I were retired I guess my priorities would be different.
Agreed. Here is a beautiful home in the gated Copper Canyon Ranch Surprise neighborhood (see https://www.vrbo.com/675624 ). The people that drive by assume the neighborhood is "cookie cutter".

The restaurants still close pretty early. That's when I use Ubber. It is most definitely a bedroom community and there is no destinations unless your local Home Depot or Lowes ran out of something and Surprise had some inventory. But don't expect to find any RV Antifreeze in the stores in March or April (people use it to summerize their homes). I'd expect other burbs to close early like Gilbert, Fountain Hills, or Goodyear.

If I had a long commute or single or a young adult, I would not be living in Surprise or Gilbert or Goodyear.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,726,173 times
To those who voted for Mesa: why? To be completely frank I don't see how Mesa could be worse than say... Glendale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area