Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:52 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Zonies tend to focus on PB , MB , OB and Coronado. However places like Scripps in La Jolla and points north like Encinitas and Cardiff far fewer. There is a spike in Carlsbad however for Zonies. Oside has a couple good RV parks 1000 ft from Buccaneer Beach for $80 a night...Paradise by the Sea and Oceanside RV Park. I cherish october to april in Diego because I can handle the 60 degree water being from NY originally.
Californians must be Fornies?

Old 04-09-2016, 07:16 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Californians must be Fornies?
I use the term Zonie in AZ and CA. Way easier than Arizonan. Are you offended ?

Old 04-09-2016, 07:26 PM

Zonies come to clog the beaches in the summer and gripe that the 68 degree water in August is too chilly when they stick their toe in the water. In Zona I use the term Zonie as a sign of respect..." Cool story dude...you are a cool Zonie."

Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
I have yet to go to Rocky Point. It's on the list however. I like cold water and can handle San Diego and Los Angeles temperatures but it would be nice if it was warmer I heard Rocky Point is warmer haha.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I have yet to go to Rocky Point. It's on the list however. I like cold water and can handle San Diego and Los Angeles temperatures but it would be nice if it was warmer I heard Rocky Point is warmer haha.
No waves and a lot of algae as the summer progresses. Better get going now and stock up in Sonoyta at Vasquez's liquor.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 AM

58 posts, read 69,423 times
You'd be wrong about fountain hills on Shea during rush hour, it is pretty much 50-60 mph the whole way, as there is not many main cross streets (except FLW) up to the 101 it is mostly green lights. My commute to 101/17 during rush is 25-30 mins and I take Shea for a majority of it. Beeline also has little traffic during rush hour. It's also not isolated, it is closer to the airport than Peoria, or Cave Creek, or north scottsdale, parts of chandler, not to say anything about any of the other outer suburbs (Surprise/Anthem). Closer to oldtown compared to a majority of cities. I was under the same assumption as you until I actually did some research (google maps). As you can see in this thread most pheonicians aren't as knowledgable about each Suburb and bring their own biases, but I think it was a good thread to start as it provides a forum to clear these misconceptions.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsideliving View Post
You'd be wrong about fountain hills on Shea during rush hour, it is pretty much 50-60 mph the whole way, as there is not many main cross streets (except FLW) up to the 101 it is mostly green lights. My commute to 101/17 during rush is 25-30 mins and I take Shea for a majority of it. Beeline also has little traffic during rush hour. It's also not isolated, it is closer to the airport than Peoria, or Cave Creek, or north scottsdale, parts of chandler, not to say anything about any of the other outer suburbs (Surprise/Anthem). Closer to oldtown compared to a majority of cities. I was under the same assumption as you until I actually did some research (google maps). As you can see in this thread most pheonicians aren't as knowledgable about each Suburb and bring their own biases, but I think it was a good thread to start as it provides a forum to clear these misconceptions.
My experiences on Shea have been completely opposite of that. Usually I don't go past 100th Ave when it comes to Shea but when I go to Payson I go out over there. I have never used the Beeline Freeway for anything so I can't comment on that. That's probably a huge benefit for SE Valley though.

To me only having two roads in and out is isolated. Having one side mountains (with a small passage for Shea) and the other side Reservation... To me that's isolated. It's the most isolated suburb, but it doesn't mean it's the furthest. That crown might go to Surprise or Queen Creek.

Of course when everything good in Phoenix skews east Fountain Hills will be closer. Doesn't mean it's any easier to get to. I can get to Old Town fairly easily, depending if the freeway is bad I can get over there on Camelback from the I-17 in about half an hour or so, I usually don't hit traffic until Biltmore. Sometimes it's easier with the freeway, but sometimes it's not.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:12 PM

8 posts, read 18,624 times
I voted for Scottsdale. Every time I've been there people just look at me like I'm trash because I guess I don't look like a damn barbie doll and apparently that equates to "poor". I don't claim to be an expert on this area at all, but I have nothing but bad experiences with people from Scottsdale being rude.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesforthedead View Post
I voted for Scottsdale. Every time I've been there people just look at me like I'm trash because I guess I don't look like a damn barbie doll and apparently that equates to "poor". I don't claim to be an expert on this area at all, but I have nothing but bad experiences with people from Scottsdale being rude.
Scottsdale has a lot of good qualities but I totally agree with you about the rudeness.

Oldtown seems to be the worst in the snootiness category, anyone who is an average dresser, drives an average car, and isn't a member of the selfie-posing plastic population should be prepared to be snubbed or treated rudely.

I've had some personal experiences with this and other people I know have reported the same kind of snobbery so we're certainly not alone.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 PM

58 posts, read 69,423 times
I do that drive regularly at 8:30 in the AM and route back at 5:00 pm. Heavier traffic near the 101 and it clears up the further east you go. If you go below 50 you will have cars right on your bumper. It moves well. Google maps during rush hour is 15 mins from 101 to Firerock country club, taking Shea the whole way.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fire....5813762?hl=en

And of course one of the good things about fountain hills is that it is in the East Valley and suburb of Scottsdale, its one of the reasons why I purchased there. And it precisely means that it is easier to get to. Its very strange the way you are wording "Easy to get to". You seem to not relate that to driving distance or time taken at all. You seem to only care about the different routes you could go. If I am closer to something it is automatically easier for me to get to. Not based on how many different roads I can take.

I am about 25 mins from Oldtown taking either Shea or Bee-line and driving on Mcdowell through the rez. I guess since there is two routes I am closer than if there were one.

It just seems that there is FUD spread on certain topics and I have been able to convince a couple of my friends to move out here only due to my determination on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area