Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 PM

285 posts, read 377,688 times

Advertisements

I voted for Scottsdale since during my 8 months there did not meet one person, everyone was extremely rude, nobody waved hello, nobody said the word hello, nobody smiled, but other than that, it is a very scenic place to live. Scottsdale's rival, Palm Springs, is friendlier, but not by much, and it has very high property crime. I found Scottsdale to be just as bad as San Francisco, San Diego, and Seattle. Scottsdale is in national lists of the top 10 most snobbiest cities. The native Arizonans in Scottsdale are nice, it's just the transplants from the Midwest and East Coast who become quickly bored, rude, and nasty since they're not used to the desert. They move there, seeking the paradise syndrome, and when they find horrible schools, their kids snorting meth, and 110 degree temps, then they quickly lose any polite personality traits that they had back east, in states such as Minnesota, Massachusetts, and Maryland.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-25-2016 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
I voted for Scottsdale since during my 8 months there did not meet one person, everyone was extremely rude, nobody waved hello, nobody said the word hello, nobody smiled, but other than that, it is a very scenic place to live. Scottsdale's rival, Palm Springs, is friendlier, but not by much, and it has very high property crime. I found Scottsdale to be just as bad as San Francisco, San Diego, and Seattle. Scottsdale is in national lists of the top 10 most snobbiest cities. The native Arizonans in Scottsdale are nice, it's just the transplants from the Midwest and East Coast who become quickly bored, rude, and nasty since they're not used to the desert. They move there, seeking the paradise syndrome, and when they find horrible schools, their kids snorting meth, and 110 degree temps, then they quickly lose any polite personality traits that they had back east, in states such as Minnesota, Massachusetts, and Maryland.

[snip]
Unlike you, I have actually lived in Scottsdale for many years, I know many who went through their public school system and I can confidently say you have no idea what you are talking about. Give me a break.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-25-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 09:16 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
It's not just the Scottsdale snobs that go to La Jolla in the Summer, I go too

Although I don't go there to smoke dope (nobody offered), I do enjoy the Cottage for a nice meal

Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Tempe is the best! I vote Tempe as the best suburb!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 PM

285 posts, read 377,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I do agree Phoenix and Las Vegas are demographically different.

I just moved from Phoenix and never understood the bizzare pretentiousness of the metropolitan area. It is one of the lowest per-capita income large metropolitan areas in the nation and yet Phoenix in general is full of wanna-be's who are very arrogant.

There really is no getting away from the weird snobbery as I found Phoenix, Mesa and Tempe just as snobby as Scottsdale. Gilbert was a bit friendlier in my honest opinion.

I agree w/ you about Phoenix being just as snobbish as Scottsdale !

I think part of it is the fact people in Phoenix are mainly type-A personalities who like to watch reality shows and then act out the reality show lifestyle.

It is not a rude city but it is huge on superficial materialism and keeping up the Jones.

Superficial materialism - indeed !!! And all their crazy malls with music playing in the parking lot, like "Desert Ridge." !!!

People in Phoenix supposedly spend more of their income of cars then any other American city and I believe it. I have never seen so many luxury cars even in front of dumpy homes and run-down apartment buildings.

I disagree Las Vegas is not friendly at all. The locals are certainly a bit less snobby then Phoenix but there are alot of very rude people. The customer service tends to be terrible in Vegas also.

Oh dear, I haven't lived there in 7 years, I hope it's not getting worse !!! Vegas was friendly 7 years ago !!!

I visited Flagstaff with very low expectations and it certainly did surpass what I thought it was. I certainly found Flagstaff to be laid-back, friendly and interesting.

Being from Colorado, I thought Flagstaff felt like a mix of maybe Durango and Boulder.

I would take Durango or Boulder over Phoenix, Scottsdale, or Vegas. The problem with Flagstaff is lousy wages and a stagnant economy. It's comparable to Bend, Oregon.
l

Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 AM

586 posts, read 541,507 times
The poll is about least favorite suburbs. It doesn't matter how many of you like lots of restaurants and nightlife, some of us don't need that. I spend my winter in South Goodyear. I rarely go out to eat and when I do a franchise serves me quite fine. I don't shop much but when I do Outlets serve my purpose very well. I golf everyday so a Membership serves me well to reduce cost. I don't like traffic. I go to Pro sports events and all the pro sports are around 30 minutes drive for me.

Now someone tell in what way Scottsdale should be more appealing to me rather than my Westside neighbourhood of Estrella?? I don't have any negativity towards Scottsdale residents but that part of the City has little to offer me other than a higher price for everything I do and traffic hassles.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
The poll is about least favorite suburbs. It doesn't matter how many of you like lots of restaurants and nightlife, some of us don't need that. I spend my winter in South Goodyear. I rarely go out to eat and when I do a franchise serves me quite fine. I don't shop much but when I do Outlets serve my purpose very well. I golf everyday so a Membership serves me well to reduce cost. I don't like traffic. I go to Pro sports events and all the pro sports are around 30 minutes drive for me.

Now someone tell in what way Scottsdale should be more appealing to me rather than my Westside neighbourhood of Estrella?? I don't have any negativity towards Scottsdale residents but that part of the City has little to offer me other than a higher price for everything I do and traffic hassles.
Did anyone tell you that you should live in Scottsdale? I'm not sure what your point is. Goodyear works for you; excellent.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:31 AM

586 posts, read 541,507 times
Read the few posts before mine, they are railing for and against Scottsdale. It seems like a divisive location. Just wanted to point out its about what each individual likes and not what you think others should want or like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Did anyone tell you that you should live in Scottsdale? I'm not sure what your point is. Goodyear works for you; excellent.

Last edited by Bates419; 04-23-2016 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 09:34 AM

482 posts, read 533,343 times
How could anyone "like" Guadalupe? You don't need a sign to tell you when you've arrived there.... Or when you leave.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Read the few posts before mine, they are railing for and against Scottsdale. It seems like a decisive location. Just wanted to point out its about what each individual likes and not what you think others should want or like.
Gotcha. There's no one size fits all answer here. We're fortunate that we live in a place with so many options, suited to many different lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area