Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 AM

10 posts, read 38,960 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are considering a move to Gilbert AZ, specifically looking at the Val Vista Lakes community. We have two boys (ages 9 and 12), so a very safe and family friendly area with good schools are the highest priority! We are moving from rainy Brussels Belgium and prior to that lived in Northern Virginia but I am originally from SoCal and I love the heat I'm looking for some honest feedback on this area as I have never been to Arizona before. Again, I understand it will be hot (we definitely plan on having a pool), but I want to know about the quality of life etc. Thanks for any info and tips, including different communities we should consider. My husband will work in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 AM

163 posts, read 206,853 times
I live right near Val Vista Lakes and it's a very nice community. The area is safe and close to everything you'll need. i can't speak to the schools but I'm sure others can. Good luck with the move!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I'd be curious as to the commute you would be looking at. It is a very nice community (don't know about the schools) but you have lots of options.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM

202 posts, read 147,323 times
Val Vista Lakes is very nice. Depending on what part of Phoenix your husband works in, that will determine the length of the commute. I live in Gilbert and drive to the Biltmore area, and that's an hour for a 32 mile commute. Something to definitely keep in mind.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Great schools in the area (both public and charter), friendly people and their country club area is very nice. Great freeway access as well.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
Gilbert has the reputation of being one of the safest places to live in the country: Town of Gilbert, Arizona : Gilbert Digital Newsroom

Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,599 times
My family and I relocated to Chandler from New York back in 2008 when our two boys were 6 and 3. We love it here! The thing we were most concerned about was whether the school districts were any good. All of our research indicated that the Chandler, Tempe, and Gilbert school districts were rated amongst the best, so we decided on Chandler.

My parents as well as my wife's parents have been out here several times and they love it, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet as far as moving out here. I have one cousin from New York that visited us about five years ago, put his house on the market as soon as they got home and has been here ever since.

What I tell all my family/friends that are interested in moving out here from NY is.... If you need all the amenities and lifestyle that a larger city like Manhattan has to offer then you might not be happy here. However, if you are one of those people that really are more interested in suburban living, than the Phoenix Metropolitan area ( in our opinion ) surpasses what suburban areas in NY had to offer, in terms of overall infrastructure / shopping / home prices / property taxes and whether obviously.

Hope that helps...

Old 03-31-2016, 03:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
I lived in Gilbert. It is a great place to live, especially for families. Although parts have quite a few seniors and even singles. Its a good city for all.

South Chandler is nice but far more expensive per square foot then Gilbert. Gilbert for the cost of living is great and it is very, very well-run town.

You get more house for your money then anywhere else in Valley in Gilbert. They have lots of retail in the city.

I also noticed people in Gilbert are much, much friendlier then most cities/towns in the area. It is amazing how mentality of the people changes so much once you cross McQueen.

The for price there isn't another city in Arizona that offers the amenities that Gilbert does. It is also a very clean city. Probubly the cleanest city in Arizona.

They a very large parks and recreation department with lots of programs for all, they have nice bike paths and the parks are immaculate. They have tons of little pocket parks in most neighborhoods run by the strong home-owners associations that keep the city near perfect.

They have a large downtown filled with sidewalk cafe's. The only other place that compares is Scottsdale.

They have a massive outdoor mall, every mile or two in the city there is a large shopping center. Despite all the retail though, much of the city is cul-de-sac neighborhoods so there is not as much traffic on the streets where the houses are.

It has one of the lowest crime rate's of any city of it's size in the country. This is because of the many pro-active home owners associations and the city is extremely well-run and efficient.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:46 PM

10 posts, read 38,960 times
This is great to hear. Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback. Any specific information on schools there in Gilbert? Especially the school assigned to the Val Vista Lake community, which is where we will likely try to live. I have read a few reviews and looked at the schools websites but would love to hear from people who have children in the schools. Thanks again!!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:32 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times
I have been living in Gilbert for almost 20 years. My wife and I live about two miles from Val Vista Lakes. We love it here. Please message me if you would like to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area