Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 PM

611 posts, read 2,306,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamgabe View Post
Hello there, since Vistancia and N. Peoria are some of the places I'm considering relocating to, what are the closest community colleges/univ. over that area?
Hi again

Here's a website link for a search I did for colleges in/near Peoria:
colleges near peoria, az - Google Search

The most common colleges that people who live in this area attend are: Arizona State University West, Glendale Community College, University of Arizona, Grand Canyon University, and Thunderbird Global Management School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
Hi again. There is a new very nice grocery store that was just built inside Vistancia. There are lots of stores to choose from in the area. Our current closest medical facilities are Del Webb Hospital and Arrowhead Hospital; however, a new medical facility will be built soon on the outskirts of Vistancia.

Here are some website links that show the rapid commercial growth in and around Vistancia. In addition, more retail and office complexes are in the future plan both inside and outside of Vistancia too.
Presently occurring development close to Vistancia:
Developers fill Peoria's hot corner (broken link)
Presently occurring development within Vistancia:
Phoenix Commercial Advisors: Available Property
deamgabe, I just found this other link that you may find helpful to know too. It's about even more commercial development happening near Vistancia:
http://www.phoenixcommercialadvisors...l/lakedeer.pdf

Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM

32 posts, read 124,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
Hi again

Here's a website link for a search I did for colleges in/near Peoria:
colleges near peoria, az - Google Search

The most common colleges that people who live in this area attend are: Arizona State University West, Glendale Community College, University of Arizona, Grand Canyon University, and Thunderbird Global Management School.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I only attended MCC while I was living there a couple of years ago so I didn't know the schools names and universities around that area.
Thanks once again.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,160,659 times
I think the closest community college to Vistancia would be Glendale CC North, up at Happy Valley east of 67th ave.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 13,097 times
Vistancia I think is TOO far away and very high priced. There is nothing wrong with the neighborhood that American Express is located in. I've lived in the Bellair area for 22 years and the homes are older but nice and the neighborhood and the schools are great. North Phoenix is a nice area and the schools are good, there is also a nice area of homes around Happy Valley and 35th Avenue and all new schools in the area. With the cost of gas going up to $4 a gallon I would do everything to live as close to work as possible.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 AM

180 posts, read 655,831 times
Quote:
My husband's job transfer will be to the American Express customer service center off 101 and I-17 (at 20022 N. 31st Ave. in Phoenix) and we're looking for a good, safe city to live that won't be too far to commute to work (it will be probably be early morning shift, having to be at work at 6am, leaving at 2pm), and at the most 30 minutes of commuting one-way... is there such place to live?
We're in our mid-twenties, and we have a 3 yr. old toddler so it'd be nice to live in a family-friendly community,

I'm just trying to find a safe, quiet place to live, convenient location...with schools sort of close by and grocery stores, things like that for a 'housewife'. Is that too much to ask? LOL

Anthem (too far to commute?),

Any info., advice, help will be greatly appreciated!
I suggest Anthem. It will take about 15 mintues to get to the I-17 and 101 from anthem at 6 am. It will take maybe 20 mintues to get home at 2pm. Anthem is great place for kids and stay at home moms with lots of activities. My wife is involved in 1 play group and has may friends with Toddlers. One these friends is in 3-4 playgroups. Too many if you ask me, but the area is great for kids. Also given your husbands work location and hours the commute will be breeze. I leave for work at 5:45 and always hit the transition to the 101 at 6am. No traffic at all. 55, 65, 70 or 75mph drive (take your pick).

Renting a 3/2 for $1200 should be quite easy with plenty of options in anthem these days.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbos_mom View Post
Vistancia I think is .... very high priced.
Just did a quick comparison. Vistancia's home prices are similar to other master planned communities as well as non-master planned communities in the area.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:02 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,936,320 times
I can't believe some of the suggestions on here. With the price of gas reaching $4 a gallon, people are recommending areas that are 18+ miles away? You're talking 720+ miles per month to commute to work...this is either for Anthem or Vistancia.

Time wise, Vistancia is ~35 minutes away with no traffic and Anthem is about 20 minutes with no traffic. With traffic, I would guess 50 minutes from Vistancia and 35 from Anthem. Why would you want to spend 33+ hours a month sitting in your car?

I havn't even touched on the pollution aspect of it...just money wasted and time wasted.

If there weren't any other options then I could see...but when you have places much closer, why go so far out? The Arrowhead Ranch area is roughly 6 miles away. If you want a brand new house, there are plenty around Happy Valley and I-17 or Happy Valley and 51st Ave, both being around 6.5-7 miles from the job site.

I don't know, I just don't get it I guess. If you already lived in a home and you had to change jobs...then its unrealistic to pick up and move closer to your job...but if you're coming in fresh, with the option to live anywhere...why would you not live as close to work as posssible?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:53 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,160,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I can't believe some of the suggestions on here. With the price of gas reaching $4 a gallon, people are recommending areas that are 18+ miles away? You're talking 720+ miles per month to commute to work...this is either for Anthem or Vistancia.

Time wise, Vistancia is ~35 minutes away with no traffic and Anthem is about 20 minutes with no traffic. With traffic, I would guess 50 minutes from Vistancia and 35 from Anthem. Why would you want to spend 33+ hours a month sitting in your car?

I havn't even touched on the pollution aspect of it...just money wasted and time wasted.

If there weren't any other options then I could see...but when you have places much closer, why go so far out? The Arrowhead Ranch area is roughly 6 miles away. If you want a brand new house, there are plenty around Happy Valley and I-17 or Happy Valley and 51st Ave, both being around 6.5-7 miles from the job site.

I don't know, I just don't get it I guess. If you already lived in a home and you had to change jobs...then its unrealistic to pick up and move closer to your job...but if you're coming in fresh, with the option to live anywhere...why would you not live as close to work as posssible?
Hx-Guy, I am giving you the "Best Post of the Year" Award! Well, that's if we had that award.

I 100% agree with every word you said!!! This Happy Valley area is wonderful and SO CLOSE to this person's work, it's not even funny. Arrowhead Ranch is wonderful! Stetson Valley is beautiful!

I think people need to take a look at other wonderful areas that are closer in and stop believing their utopia is the only one around.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 AM

482 posts, read 532,822 times
Quote:
Hi, I have lived in Chandler a couple of years ago (2003-2004), and we actually liked it there and we miss it (I enjoy the weather in AZ, I suffer from joint problems and depression because of the hard and long winters here, and being in UT, it is not the best place to live under these circumstances, so we can stand the hot weather. I had my son while living there in AZ... trust me, after my last month of pregnancy in mid August, 115 degrees outside, I can handle it!!!), but we moved back to UT for family reasons and I've missed it since then.

We've been in UT for more than 3 years and now we're thinking of moving back to AZ for job reasons by the end of this year, so I'm doing some research, trying to find some info. that will help us decide where to look for homes and etc. I don't know anything about other cities other than Mesa, Tempe and Chandler/Gilbert.

My husband's job transfer will be to the American Express customer service center off 101 and I-17 (at 20022 N. 31st Ave. in Phoenix) and we're looking for a good, safe city to live that won't be too far to commute to work (it will be probably be early morning shift, having to be at work at 6am, leaving at 2pm), and at the most 30 minutes of commuting one-way... is there such place to live?

We're in our mid-twenties, and we have a 3 yr. old toddler so it'd be nice to live in a family-friendly community, not too expensive housing (we'll be renting for sometime before purchasing a home, ranging $1,200-$1,300/mo. for a 3-4 bd. home - that's what we're currently paying for our 1,700 sq. ft. 3 bd. 2bth. townhome in UT)...

I'm just trying to find a safe, quiet place to live, convenient location...with schools sort of close by and grocery stores, things like that for a 'housewife'. Is that too much to ask? LOL

Reading through many forums, to be honest, I'm concerned about the safety there, as I've read horrible things, also about the poor school system in AZ. Any input on education and crime?

I'm thinking of Surprise (heard a lot about it, although it was a very small community back in '03), Anthem (too far to commute?), N. Peoria and I don't know what other places would be good for us to live around that area or about 30 mins. from his workplace..

Any info., advice, help will be greatly appreciated!
In my opinion Surprise would be the best spot and not far from American Express. Hope this helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area