Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:04 AM

2,767 posts, read 7,403,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Ain't that the same spot where they had planned on making a 2 story Target? What happened to that?
I don't think that ever got beyond the rumor stage. There was never an official announcement from either Target or the developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:43 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,537,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Fry's has been pretty aggressive recently.

They're scheduled to open 6 new (non-replacement) stores now:

Fry's Marketplace (Signal Butte & Guadalupe) – 2724 S. Signal Butte Rd. in Mesa. Scheduled opening: Summer 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (Camelback Rd. & Litchfield Rd.) – 13830 W. Camelback Rd. in Litchfield Park. Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (Gilbert & Ocotillo) – 2929 E. Ocotillo Rd. in Chandler. Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.

Fry's Marketplace (Lake Pleasant & Happy Valley Rd.) – 25401 N. Lake Pleasant Parkway in Peoria. Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (North Valley Parkway) – 2800 W. Dove Valley Rd. in Phoenix. Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.
Fry's Food and Drug (Downtown). Scheduled opening: To be determined.

Also, they're replacing the store at 7th St. / Bell Rd. with a Marketplace at 13th St. / Bell Rd.

They're also expanding their store at 20th St. / Highland and supposed to be expanding their store at Miller Rd. / Indian School.
They are also doing a number on the 90th & Via Linda store. For those of you from up north, it reminds me a bit like the remodeled Burlingame Fred Meyer in Portland with apparel and everything.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,268,442 times
I like Fry's the best of all the AZ supermarket chains. If you have their club card you get coupons in the mail once a month that are for things you actually buy! I have a particular kind of whole wheat bread I buy. I always get a 40 cents off coupon and every couple of months they send me a coupon for a free loaf. I get free cereal, free pasta, big multi-dollars off for produce, meat, fish, or baked goods. A very nice feature of shopping there. They have a very nice selection of greeting cards, too. Saves me from having to make a special trip to get them elsewhere.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,721,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I like Fry's the best of all the AZ supermarket chains. If you have their club card you get coupons in the mail once a month that are for things you actually buy! I have a particular kind of whole wheat bread I buy. I always get a 40 cents off coupon and every couple of months they send me a coupon for a free loaf. I get free cereal, free pasta, big multi-dollars off for produce, meat, fish, or baked goods. A very nice feature of shopping there. They have a very nice selection of greeting cards, too. Saves me from having to make a special trip to get them elsewhere.
You still get them? We stopped getting them a few months back. I thought that they had discontinued them.

Everybody seems to have opinions on who has the best prices, policies, produce, meats, selection, etc. To me they are all about the same and I rotate between the four (Basha's, Fry's, Safeway, Albertsons -- wouldn't be caught dead in a WalMart). Each one seems to lack certain things that I want to buy and rotating around is the only way that works for me.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,268,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You still get them? We stopped getting them a few months back. I thought that they had discontinued them.

Everybody seems to have opinions on who has the best prices, policies, produce, meats, selection, etc. To me they are all about the same and I rotate between the four (Basha's, Fry's, Safeway, Albertsons -- wouldn't be caught dead in a WalMart). Each one seems to lack certain things that I want to buy and rotating around is the only way that works for me.
I hear what you're saying. I think they all have their strengths. At least at the outlet I use, Albertson's has the best meat, although the fish at Fry's is good. On the other hand, Albertson's has bad produce, too expensive and not top quality. I get most of my produce at Sprouts, although I think Fry's has a broader selection. Safeway seems to me to have the best prepared foods. I go there to stock up my elderly mother's fridge with things she can just microwave ... otherwise she wouldn't eat.

I don't buy groceries at Walmart either. Most of the things on their food shelves are very close to their expiration dates. I have also seen customers doing very skeevy things at Walmart, so I wouldn't buy any produce or baked goods there.

I get the most bang for my buck from Fry's. As for the coupons, I'm not only getting a big envelope periodically, I also get a folder before every holiday. It's a magazine thing with recipes and entertaining ideas and it includes coupons to take money off the things needed in the recipes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the direct-mail coupons did stop eventually, though. I'm always getting hints that I should download their app and redeem my coupons that way. I'm sure that saves them big money. I don't oblige them, though. My phone isn't internet connected so I couldn't do it if I wanted to. I sit in front of a computer all day. I don't want/need my phone to be online.

If you're not getting the coupons, could it be because you have the app and they're expecting you to download them that way? If not, I'd stop by the office, show them my club card and ask. I save at least $5-10 on each big grocery run using those coupons.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,721,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I hear what you're saying. I think they all have their strengths. At least at the outlet I use, Albertson's has the best meat, although the fish at Fry's is good. On the other hand, Albertson's has bad produce, too expensive and not top quality. I get most of my produce at Sprouts, although I think Fry's has a broader selection. Safeway seems to me to have the best prepared foods. I go there to stock up my elderly mother's fridge with things she can just microwave ... otherwise she wouldn't eat.

I don't buy groceries at Walmart either. Most of the things on their food shelves are very close to their expiration dates. I have also seen customers doing very skeevy things at Walmart, so I wouldn't buy any produce or baked goods there.

I get the most bang for my buck from Fry's. As for the coupons, I'm not only getting a big envelope periodically, I also get a folder before every holiday. It's a magazine thing with recipes and entertaining ideas and it includes coupons to take money off the things needed in the recipes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the direct-mail coupons did stop eventually, though. I'm always getting hints that I should download their app and redeem my coupons that way. I'm sure that saves them big money. I don't oblige them, though. My phone isn't internet connected so I couldn't do it if I wanted to. I sit in front of a computer all day. I don't want/need my phone to be online.

If you're not getting the coupons, could it be because you have the app and they're expecting you to download them that way? If not, I'd stop by the office, show them my club card and ask. I save at least $5-10 on each big grocery run using those coupons.
I do have the app and use coupons that way, but I think I had it long before the coupons stopped coming.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 PM

27 posts, read 46,195 times
Sigh. The city continues to apply the suburban ideals they've seen work in the past out in sprawl-ville onto downtown projects. Whoever (and while I'm quoting them, I am not directing these criticisms at her/him) said that the downtown grocery store needs to be completely full-service and that something like Trader Joe's was inefficient for "getting everything at once" is the perfect example of this. Malls, Walmart, and power centers were created to satisfy the needs of consumers who wanted to "get everything at once." *Downtown* itself should be the place where you "get everything" from individual local businesses that form an authentic and active community.

Getting everything at once almost certainly requires the use of a car or else how is one expected to bring home all of these items? The size and location of this store will require an insane amount of parking needed to support the customers who will in all likelihood travel to this store. The residential density in this area just does not exist, nor do any of its immediate surroundings offer opportunity for major redevelopment. ASU is a non-factor: there is only one actual dorm that is 50% freshman who are required to purchase a meal plan and thus, use the market in Taylor Place. ASU has had little impact on the retail market downtown - the growth has been in bars and restaurants and creative spaces - and won't until more dorms are built. At that point, something a TargetExpress would make more sense to serve their needs.

The majority of residential growth is happening north of Fillmore and will continue. Many of these residents will choose to head north to a more convenient store and those that give it a try will abandon it as soon as one of the many vacant lots nearby produces a mixed-use project with a grocery store. I totally get that downtown residents want amenities. But, a 55000 sq ft Fry's surrounded by offices is very short-sighted. And, whoever wants this project to link CityScape and Colliers - no. Both are massive design failures with their inward-facing plazas. They should be connected by walking down Washington and Jefferson and shopping at the multiple storefronts that should be lining them.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 PM

27 posts, read 46,195 times
And good riddance on Central Station. A luxury tower and massive parking garage was a terrible use of that land. The first floor should have transit services and retail, with bus terminals on floors 2 and 3. If anything, affordable housing should have been added on top, but the most important thing is making sure the ground floor can support the future foot traffic as this site is planned to be the hub of many LRT lines in the future.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:46 PM

594 posts, read 695,391 times
Walmart has the sexiest women.......yummy yummy yummy.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:03 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,537,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmont_resident View Post
Sigh. The city continues to apply the suburban ideals they've seen work in the past out in sprawl-ville onto downtown projects. Whoever (and while I'm quoting them, I am not directing these criticisms at her/him) said that the downtown grocery store needs to be completely full-service and that something like Trader Joe's was inefficient for "getting everything at once" is the perfect example of this. Malls, Walmart, and power centers were created to satisfy the needs of consumers who wanted to "get everything at once." *Downtown* itself should be the place where you "get everything" from individual local businesses that form an authentic and active community.

Getting everything at once almost certainly requires the use of a car or else how is one expected to bring home all of these items? The size and location of this store will require an insane amount of parking needed to support the customers who will in all likelihood travel to this store. The residential density in this area just does not exist, nor do any of its immediate surroundings offer opportunity for major redevelopment. ASU is a non-factor: there is only one actual dorm that is 50% freshman who are required to purchase a meal plan and thus, use the market in Taylor Place. ASU has had little impact on the retail market downtown - the growth has been in bars and restaurants and creative spaces - and won't until more dorms are built. At that point, something a TargetExpress would make more sense to serve their needs.

The majority of residential growth is happening north of Fillmore and will continue. Many of these residents will choose to head north to a more convenient store and those that give it a try will abandon it as soon as one of the many vacant lots nearby produces a mixed-use project with a grocery store. I totally get that downtown residents want amenities. But, a 55000 sq ft Fry's surrounded by offices is very short-sighted. And, whoever wants this project to link CityScape and Colliers - no. Both are massive design failures with their inward-facing plazas. They should be connected by walking down Washington and Jefferson and shopping at the multiple storefronts that should be lining them.
Interesting you mention TargetExpress. I'm very familiar with their City Target formats. Frankly they do a nice job with those. Usually they rehab abandoned urban department store buildings and have a keen sense of meeting the needs of the surrounding neighborhoods and their populations. Nothing cookie cutter about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area