Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times

Advertisements

California doesn't prohibit lane splitting on a motorcycle and I wish the same thing would apply in AZ. I would never do it at a high speed. But when traffic is in gridlock a quarter mile from the intersection, it makes no sense for a motorcyclist to just sit in it, when he can easily and carefully maneuver to the front. When the light turns green you get out of the way quickly. I have an air cooled Harley and I don't like it just idling forever in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM

156 posts, read 420,332 times
Can't say the police enforce lane splitting, as I've never seen a motorcyclist do that.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Not only is it illegal. it is for fools and Californians only. Yes, enforcement is high. Do it and you won't be riding long. You don't see it here as most Californians learn quickly that it is enforced strictly.

And I must say you have some really strange posts.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
California doesn't prohibit lane splitting on a motorcycle and I wish the same thing would apply in AZ. I would never do it at a high speed. But when traffic is in gridlock a quarter mile from the intersection, it makes no sense for a motorcyclist to just sit in it, when he can easily and carefully maneuver to the front. When the light turns green you get out of the way quickly. I have an air cooled Harley and I don't like it just idling forever in traffic.
Hahahaha, you said carefully and Harley. Now, replace that with dangerously and crotch rocket and you might get your answer.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:46 AM

191 posts, read 344,333 times
I think you will find that Arizona PDs enforce traffic laws much more than the PDs do anywhere in California, or at least SoCal. Law enforcement in Ca is a joke by comparison. By a joke I mean there needs to be quadruple the number of units out on the roads to handle the accidents and lawlessness we have out here.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
I see the bike cops doing it all the time on their Beemers.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I see the bike cops doing it all the time on their Beemers.
I see it done all the time as well (by cops and regular riders)

Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
I saw a motorcyclist split lanes here for the first time about two weeks ago. It was on the westbound 202 right before the Mini-Stack, in extremely heavy traffic. There were no cops coming after him, but I guess they could have caught up to him further down the freeway. It got me thinking how lane splitting laws are even enforced here. The freeways are so lightly patrolled that it seems to me that anyone who wants to lane split can get away with it. It still caught me off guard how reckless it was given the tendency for people here to carelessly and constantly switch lanes, even in bumper to bumper traffic. California drivers at least know to look out for motorcyclists splitting lanes. Drivers here aren't really looking out for anyone else.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:39 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
I was thinking the fool was the motorcyclist getting roasted in the sun for 10 minutes as he/she inches up to the intersection in dead-still traffic. But nevertheless I will not be doing it as I want to keep my perfect driving record, especially since I will be driving an 18 wheeler soon and companies are very scrutinous over your DMV record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
it is for fools and Californians only. Yes, enforcement is high. Do it and you won't be riding long. You don't see it here as most Californians learn quickly that it is enforced strictly.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
They don't need patrols on the freeway as the have camera sites everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area