Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 04:56 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Speaking of diversity, is there a larger Asian, Southeast Pacific islander influence compared to Denver since Phoenix is closer to Socal? I do a lot of my grocery shopping in Asian grocery markets. I've been to Mekong Plaza before, enjoyed it.

There is not a huge presence, with the biggest probably being in the North/West Chandler area and maybe parts of Tempe due to ASU. You'll see a few Asian markets, churches, and related business around Dobson/Ray and near Chandler Mall. The Asian influence is pretty small compared to SoCal, however, and not even close to the Mexican influence in Phoenix.

This map shows a good visualization of where individuals of different races are located. Just zoom in on Phoenix to get a good idea:

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhden2000 View Post
I think I could deal with the hot summers, my main reservation is the amount of people and cars but again maybe it is all relative to where you work as to how much of a headache that can be?
I think Denver traffic is comparable to Phoenix. I lived off of Alameda and Federal for a few years and commuted downtown. Phoenix traffic might be a tad worse, but not much.

Quote:
I could foresee I-17 being a parking lot of cars going up to the mountains on weekends? Is that the case?
Not really I-17. It's not like I-70 on a winter weekend if that's what you're thinking. The parking lot is on the roads/highways going through Sedona on the weekend. It's absolutely unreal how crowded that place is now, particularly on a holiday weekend. Lots of CA plates in the trailhead parking lots. Think Estes Park in June.

Quote:
thoughts on living in PHX over Denver? Motivation for moving is to leave the snow and cold behind me but maintain access to mountains for hiking and camping.
To each his own but I loathe the onset of summer. I'll take a sunny 40 degree winter day in Denver over a 115 degree day (and 100 degrees at 11pm) in Phoenix tenfold. I think it sucks big time. But that's me, it may not bother you.

Last edited by HTY483; 04-12-2016 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Speaking of diversity, is there a larger Asian, Southeast Pacific islander influence compared to Denver since Phoenix is closer to Socal? I do a lot of my grocery shopping in Asian grocery markets. I've been to Mekong Plaza before, enjoyed it.
Big time growth in the Asian population over the years in the metro/Arizona. From the 2010 census:

Arizona's Asian population now fastest-growing in state

"The census counted 176,695 Asians in 2010. That is nearly twice as many as the 92,236 counted by the census a decade earlier. No other minority group grew at a faster rate."

"Drawn by high-tech jobs, family ties, higher education and cheaper housing, the Asian population is also becoming more diverse, with growing numbers of Vietnamese, Cambodians and Burmese."

This is 2010 census data of course so not sure if this trend is still continuing. The article is an interesting read.

I've noticed there are a bunch of Pho/Vietnamese restaurants, especially around Phoenix. They are scattered about in small strip malls. Many are excellent.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:03 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I hate hate hate the traffic here. ! )
"Traffic? What traffic?!" - ex-Angelenos, Chicagoans, New Yorkers

Old 04-13-2016, 12:24 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
"Traffic? What traffic?!" - ex-Angelenos, Chicagoans, New Yorkers

I do not care about comparing traffic here to someplace else. Someone always has to say "but it's so much worse in XYZ Town!" Who cares? I HATE sitting on the freeway rolling along at 20 MPH because of all the cars. I hate hate hate it. I will probably eventually move out of state and the prime reason is there is too much driving here. The place is to massive. I'm already sick of it.

So, that traffic. Here. In Phoenix.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:02 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Big time growth in the Asian population over the years in the metro/Arizona. From the 2010 census:

Arizona's Asian population now fastest-growing in state

"The census counted 176,695 Asians in 2010. That is nearly twice as many as the 92,236 counted by the census a decade earlier. No other minority group grew at a faster rate."

"Drawn by high-tech jobs, family ties, higher education and cheaper housing, the Asian population is also becoming more diverse, with growing numbers of Vietnamese, Cambodians and Burmese."

This is 2010 census data of course so not sure if this trend is still continuing. The article is an interesting read.

I've noticed there are a bunch of Pho/Vietnamese restaurants, especially around Phoenix. They are scattered about in small strip malls. Many are excellent.

Phoenix metro was about 3.3% Asian in 2010. LA Metro area was 13.9% and San Diego 10.9% Asian. The population is growing in Phoenix but it's still a pretty small overall percentage compared to SoCal. I agree there is good Vietnamese, Thai, and Japanese food here, but have found few very good options for Chinese. Not sure exactly why.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
I'm the dissenter here. I find Denver traffic to be far worse than Phoenix. PHX is nutso during rush hour, but manageable the rest of the day and a dream on weekends. Denver traffic is bad no matter what time of day or what day of the week I'm driving around up there. If you take time to learn alternate non-highway routes in PHX, it helps. There's so much road construction in Denver that even surface roads are jam packed.

And no, I've never lived in LA, Chicago or NYC. I simply compare the two based on my regular business trips to both DEN & PHX.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I do not care about comparing traffic here to someplace else. Someone always has to say "but it's so much worse in XYZ Town!" Who cares? I HATE sitting on the freeway rolling along at 20 MPH because of all the cars. I hate hate hate it. I will probably eventually move out of state and the prime reason is there is too much driving here. The place is to massive. I'm already sick of it.

So, that traffic. Here. In Phoenix.
Phoenix traffic can be horrible but I think it depends a lot on a person's perception.

It seems the people who moved here from smaller cities or towns hate the traffic the most and think it's comparable to a place like Los Angeles.

But the people who moved here from California, Chicago area, or a large city in the eastern United States seem to think traffic here is no big deal.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
There's been a noticeable increase in our traffic here over the past few years. Now there is some sort of traffic on the roads no matter what time of day. When I first moved here I would often be the only one on some of the major and side roads during early morning hours. Now I have a fair amount of company. This place, believe it or not, is still growing!

For the record, our highways are wonderful, comparatively speaking.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Driving on I-25 northbound from Denver to the suburbs is like driving on I-17 north to Deervalley from Phoenix, but without loop 101 and adding tolls on I-17. I'll take Phoenix traffic over Denver's, it's pretty lame that a city smaller than Phoenix has worse traffic and less freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area