Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 07:46 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Some info is trickling out on how the Yotes will try to fund a new arena.

Arizona Coyotes ask lawmakers to create special taxing district for new arena

The Arizona Coyotes are asking the state Legislature to create a new taxing district to mostly fund an arena. The team would kick in at least $100 million; taxes would generate at least $350 million.

One proposal floated at the Capitol would allow from $350 million to $750 million to be generated for an arena from sales and excise taxes imposed within a new taxing district. The plan, detailed in a 49-page draft bill obtained by The Republic, also could allow public funds to be used to build a hotel or other commercial real estate within the district, according to those who have examined the proposal.

The Coyotes confirmed they would want a hotel in any arena project — it would generate taxes to help pay for the arena — but public funds would not be used to build it.

The team would contribute $100 million to $170 million toward any project, according to Anthony LeBlanc, the team's president and chief executive. He said the franchise is looking to build on 50 to 60 acres.

Looks like they are for trying, at least for now, to avoid going to the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Reservation.

In other Coyotes news, they might have their AHL affiliate play in Tucson starting this fall:

Coyotes likely to move AHL affiliate to Tucson next season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Since the taxing district requires that the city has a minimum population of 150,000, I wonder if this means that the reservation has turned down the idea of a new arena. I personally think the ideal location would be in the Riverview area of Mesa, which is closer to the fanbase but still central enough for most of the Valley (at least compared to the existing location in Glendale or the reservation).

Old 04-14-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Since the taxing district requires that the city has a minimum population of 150,000, I wonder if this means that the reservation has turned down the idea of a new arena. I personally think the ideal location would be in the Riverview area of Mesa, which is closer to the fanbase but still central enough for most of the Valley (at least compared to the existing location in Glendale or the reservation).
Unless they actually built the arena right on top of Riverview Park (getting rid of the park all together ), across from the lake, or filled in that open pit mine along Alma School, where would there be room to build an arena in the Riverview area of Mesa? Maybe if they didn't put in Sloan and the shopping complex already, there would have been ample land to construct an arena, but it looks like that ship sailed awhile ago.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Unless they actually built the arena right on top of Riverview Park (getting rid of the park all together ), across from the lake, or filled in that open pit mine along Alma School, where would there be room to build an arena in the Riverview area of Mesa? Maybe if they didn't put in Sloan and the shopping complex already, there would have been ample land to construct an arena, but it looks like that ship sailed awhile ago.
So, with a taxing district, I wonder where they can build now. The reservations will not be eligible for a taxing district, and I do believe that the Coyotes did recently approach the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Reservation for a new arena, so the fact that they are now requesting a taxing district could be a sign that the reservation turned them down.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
So, with a taxing district, I wonder where they can build now. The reservations will not be eligible for a taxing district, and I do believe that the Coyotes did recently approach the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Reservation for a new arena, so the fact that they are now requesting a taxing district could be a sign that the reservation turned them down.
The hotel request tells me that they weren't turned down, but that the Reservation has made them some sort of offer, because the area already has a hotel a very nice one.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Undeveloped 50-60 acres is going to be hard to come buy in already established/built up areas. It would have to be in Tempe at ASU's Karsten Golf Course. I figured ASU and the Arizona Board of Regents didn't have a extra $200-$300 million just laying around to help fund a new arena on ASU's campus, so this was probably the only way to get an arena built in Tempe.

Coyotes arena: Special tax district sidelined, ASU Karsten Golf Course could top location list

Sources familiar with the arena situation say a partnership with Arizona State University for an arena at what is now ASU Karsten Golf Course is the leading contender.

The golf course is part of ASU's Tempe campus on Rio Salado Parkway east of Sun Devil Stadium.

That would give the Coyotes a location closer to fans and businesses in the Scottsdale, Ahwatukee and the East Valley and give ASU a new arena for some of its sports teams. It could also be a desirable concert venue.

Coyotes officials declined to say if Karsten and an ASU deal is the leading contender and if state legislation is benched for this session.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:23 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
No taxes for billionaires! The Coyotes have been milking taxpayers for years now to pay for a lousy product that few care about. How about raising taxes for something that matters like schools. Enough is enough. Coyotes! Leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area