Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,318,804 times

Advertisements

Asking for a friend who's roommate has gone crazy. I've seen it first hand. All rent individually from landlord so they can't kick the guy out. Crazy guy's parents pay rent directly because they can't give him money. they've supported him for years (in his 40's now), and the insane METH use has taken it's toll.

Refuses to work, banned from several plasma centers, talks of suicide, lying, stealing, everything that goes with parents giving a meth head money. They obviously don't want to take him into their own home. is there anything my friend can do to get him committed or something?

Classic Arizona meth scumbag...he could call the cops but doesn't usually keep his crap there, and can't he just deny them entry into his bedroom anyway (since a phone call is not actual proof of anything)? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 03:08 PM

924 posts, read 745,052 times
Unfortunately, I think this guy would have be proved to be a danger to himself before he could be committed. Saying this because I remember my brother-in-law went through this a few years back with his mother, and he had to secretly videotape her ranting about crazy things as proof.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:06 PM

550 posts, read 1,116,752 times
The problem is that as long as they don't hurt anybody, the police cannot do anything. He is an adult.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,318,804 times
so he needs to get busted with meth in his possession?

What if the parents get involved?

I had to go through this years ago (minus the meth) and we had to get the family involved but it was in another state...

Old 04-20-2016, 04:52 PM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Generally, there is something called a 2 P C - Two Physician Certificate. Two medical doctors, usually psychiatrists, must agree that an individual is a danger to himself and to others.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,592,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
so he needs to get busted with meth in his possession?

What if the parents get involved?

I had to go through this years ago (minus the meth) and we had to get the family involved but it was in another state...
The parents would be the best bet, if they're willing to risk making him mad. Emergency mental health care here is really scary - even if you go to the hospital & admit you're suicidal, getting into a facility can take a couple days (of sitting in a hallway under constant observation). Getting an "emergency" appointment without being suicidal/homicidal can take months. It too bad, with the proper medication & even a small amount of therapy many people with even serious mental illnesses can function pretty well.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:28 PM

25,331 posts, read 16,968,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Asking for a friend who's roommate has gone crazy. I've seen it first hand. All rent individually from landlord so they can't kick the guy out. Crazy guy's parents pay rent directly because they can't give him money. they've supported him for years (in his 40's now), and the insane METH use has taken it's toll.

Refuses to work, banned from several plasma centers, talks of suicide, lying, stealing, everything that goes with parents giving a meth head money. They obviously don't want to take him into their own home. is there anything my friend can do to get him committed or something?

Classic Arizona meth scumbag...he could call the cops but doesn't usually keep his crap there, and can't he just deny them entry into his bedroom anyway (since a phone call is not actual proof of anything)? Anyone?
The crazy person is the landlord who rented to more than one person.
So if one tenants moves out it is up to the LANDLORD to find an acceptable tenant??!!

To all fellow landlords:
Rent to ONE PERSON. That person will be responsible for paying rent and if he needs a bunch of roommates to make it work out it is HIS problem. Not yours.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 AM

7,063 posts, read 9,102,969 times
The best solution for your friend is to move out. Sure he can deny the "crazy" guy access to his bedroom. How does that work out? Sure he can call the cops. Then his friend accuses him of being the dealer or worse. There are too many ways things can go wrong staying where he is.

Sometimes as much as you want to you can't help someone. They have to face the music on their own.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,010,343 times
I'm aware of a situation where the police determined that someone was a threat to others or himself and immediately took the man to a mental health hospital. He was admitted against his will, and the hospital wouldn't let him out for a week. The hospital bill was enormous; he had good insurance. Profit motive involved? Not sure...

This topic gets complicated.

Last edited by DougStark; 04-21-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,926 times
To get someone committed for drugs / mental problems is a sin according to my views ..i'll only suggest that if you see someone is addicted to drugs or facing some kind of mental problems , please help him for a better health care center and advise him to avoid such practices in future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area