Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:04 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermanj8 View Post
Need much needed advice!

I am a soon to be graduate from Michigan State and I am looking to relocate out of Michigan. Main reason being the weather. I want to live in a warm area.

Arizona has always been a dream of mine. I visited the state when I was 8, and saw the entire state. Really fell in love with the beauty of Sedona, and I like Pheonix. While researching what it is like to live in Arizona, I have recently sort of fell out-of-love. I just keep hearing bad things across the board. Outdoor activities like biking, hiking, and kayaking are very important to me and nightlife not so much.

I prefer temperate climates, all four seasons but mostly warm so Arizona turns me off because its blazing hot weather and super cold nights. At least if its going to be hot I want it to be nice in the evening! Bugs scare the **** out of me and I need a very low cost of living.

I do not plan on making any more than $35,000 a year but hopefully it will be more. My rent will need to be around $700-$800 and I am looking to live in an area that is not a large city, but a smaller suburban/smaller community with amenities close by and larger amenities like a shopping mall at most 20/30 min away. I own a large dog (Bernese mountain dog) that is 100lbs so that may also be a factor. I really would like to actually rent a very small home, instead of a apartment.

I have heard that scottsdale is nice, but full of pretentious people.

If anyone can give me some advice on wether or not Arizona is a good place to live, and if you feel that it is, considering my criteria, where should i start looking?

--- I will be getting a job in advertising/marketing so living within a reasonable distance to a large city is probably a must
I like living here and whatnot but I'm not sure what you are asking. You want hiking and biking? Check we have both in abundance. Don't care for nightlife? Check we have nightlife in areas and don't have nightlife in areas. You have a big dog? Check we have big dogs. You're a college graduate? That's great we need more college grads. You have 700-800 to spend on an apartment you can get by like that so check. A small house? Not unless you want to get stabbed. Don't like heat? Unfortunately job concentration is in Phoenix and Tucson so you're out of luck there. Tucson is slightly cooler.

The questions then are.

What do you want?
What did you major in?
Where do you work?

Is Arizona a good place to live? It's not so dramatically different than other places it's just hotter and browner.

I'm glad you came here when you were 8, but assuming your a normal age grad that was 13-14 years ago. You should visit again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Well, way to give the college grad a warm welcome. OP, rest assured that the good people of AZ will give you a warmer welcome than this.
Yes, move here. There are lots of people from the midwest who moved for the better weather. The guys who did my solar screens on the windows were from Detroit. I met a lot of Michiganders here. I PM'd you about where to live, etc. Check your inbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area