Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:15 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,376 times

Advertisements

You will have a very difficult time finding restaurants in the same league as SF (or even Berkeley/Oakland). I came from Oakland in 1995, and used to be a regular at Basta Pasta at Grant and Vallejo...I was referred to Tomasso's at 24th and Camelback.....wasn't bad, but it just wasn't "it," and was actually more expensive. Chinese food sucks....it was then explained to me that the Chinaman is lost in the desert...but you'll see a lot of buffets that are a miss. Some pretty good Thai, but they are extra careful not to upset any medicated senior citizen with pepper dishes that taste like, well, peppers...same trouble with Mex places...however, you will discover the cheap mexi drive thrus that are indeed major league..and Filibertoes is the best, IMO..things do change. Forget you were a union carpenter...there is no work for you. Invest in a junk home; fix it up, live in it, make money...New houses are assembled; they aren't built by carpenters, union or not....and the Mexicans are actually pretty darn good at carpentry for 10 an hour or less...don't let them near the "electrico" though, but they can do aircon good.
SD< SF< LA are all great if you got a grandma, who bought property 50 years ago..otherwise..it's a big struggle to pay rent. The pundits here will tell you about all these boring exurbs with cookie cutter houses..traffic is bad, the schools are still bad...you have the know how..buy into an up and coming neighborhood near the Light Rail....you will be better off in the long run, or you can brood over your beer in some dive bar with some old GM union guys and relive the "good ole days"...of high wages.....most of them are in Arizona because the Michigan they left behind is hideous, but they are experts on everything...don't buy into it. Look ahead, not behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 08:36 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,163 times
OP, I have some work for you once you get here My stairs squeak, my deck facia board is rotted, and I'm fantasizing about a pergola in my backyard (keeps the blazing sun to a tolerable level.)

As for shady areas, there's the neighborhood in either Chandler or Tempe that has AMAZING shade. It's like you're all of a sudden in Ohio for a moment. Can't remember what the ranch is called- Help me out, forum...

Old 07-20-2016, 06:46 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
OP, I have some work for you once you get here My stairs squeak, my deck facia board is rotted, and I'm fantasizing about a pergola in my backyard (keeps the blazing sun to a tolerable level.)

As for shady areas, there's the neighborhood in either Chandler or Tempe that has AMAZING shade. It's like you're all of a sudden in Ohio for a moment. Can't remember what the ranch is called- Help me out, forum...
...and I will happily pay $7 per hour...

Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Except police, fire, and teachers engage in collective bargaining.
Not in the same categories as the trades

Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Arizona is a right to work state with no union presence. Good luck to the OP.
Sad but true

Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 AM

13,234 posts, read 7,280,089 times
Phoenix Metro area has something for everyone tons of contractor work here so you finding employment won't be tough. Unions are not big here it's a right to work state which just means employees aren't forced to pay union dues I agree with no one should be forced into the union but with the home renovation work still very good you won't need a union to make good money here. Lots of green areas even lakes golf course community's something for everyone. The old boring red tile roof stucco, and red rock yards are mostly new cheap track homes on the west of Phoenix. I suggest you check out central phoenix condor, Scottsdale, Chandler, and Gilbert.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
We have a carpenters union hall here, it is off of 47th Ave&McDowell, you can see it from I-10 between 43rd Ave&51st Ave exits. I don't understand what people have against unions. If it weren't for unions, things like weekends, paid holidays, 40hr work week, overtime x1.5, pensions (for the few lucky to still have them), and the abolishment of child labor would never have happened!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times

[CENTER]Moderator cut: NOTICE: This is Not A Pro Union or Anti Union Thread... [/CENTER]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area