Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:51 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times

Advertisements

I hope ADOT learns some lessons on this whole South Mountain Freeway deal. I wish the opponents would let this go, it's only been over 30 YEARS already. Supporters should be the adults in the room. No need for a "victory lap" of sorts, just get this construction started. Besides, some houses and businesses have already been demolished, so I think in the end this will be a small bump in the road for this section of Loop 202.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 07:40 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Econ anything tells you how economies work, it doesn't enable you to predict the future. You act as if anyone is doing a better job at knowing what's going to happen in an incredibly complex system of markets that is now so globalized that a tsunami in Asia will impact commodity prices here.
I agree. Economics uses data from the past, not the present (because real-time macro data is basically impossible to get, e.g. all the government reports on hiring, firing, etc., that are delayed weeks to start with and revised, sometimes majorly, weeks or months later once more data comes in), so it's like driving a car using only your side and rear-view mirrors, at least that's a good way I have seen it described. If I hire or fire an employee today, how long before the government economists know about it and include it in their data? That kind of thing.

And because you don't have future data, you have to make all kinds of assumptions, basically guesses, to try to predict things and to try to get your models to work. And if you have to put made-up numbers or out-of-date numbers into a model to get it to work, there's not much accuracy to it. Economist joke: How does an economist get out of a 10-foot-deep hole in the ground? First, he assumes a ladder...

The government in particular is guilty of this type of magical thinking. When was the last time a taxing entity predicted anything less than wildly optimistic growth? They have budgets to "balance" and hard choices to make with various programs and entitlements and so they put on their rose-colored glasses and massage things until the math works. The math behind Prop. 123 is an example of wildly optimistic projections -- e.g. triple the withdrawals and still expect the fund to grow. I might as well go buy a Rolls Royce on payments and justify it by saying I assume I will receive a XX% raise every year for the life of the loan.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:53 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I just found out that even though the hearing will be today, the final ruling will actually be a few weeks from now. Let's hope that the judge rules in favor of ADOT and that she doesn't let her Native American heritage get in the way (that would be a major conflict of interest).

Old 05-11-2016, 01:05 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I just found out that even though the hearing will be today, the final ruling will actually be a few weeks from now. Let's hope that the judge rules in favor of ADOT and that she doesn't let her Native American heritage get in the way (that would be a major conflict of interest).
Today is arguments. In my experience, judges usually have their minds made up by this point through their own research and skimming briefs from claimant and defendant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area