Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 AM

483 posts, read 662,280 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in Wisconsin, and being a recent transplant, one of the (few) things I figured I'd miss about Wisconsin when I moved to Arizona was really good corn on the cob. When asking people about the availability of corn down here, most answers were along the lines of, "Yeah they grow corn down here. But it's mostly feed for cattle." What?? How about feed for humans?

Pretty much everywhere you go in Wisconsin you see farmer's markets, roadside stands, etc., selling corn. Here? Not so much. Let me rephrase that. Not at all.

I do have to say we had some pretty tasty corn yesterday from Safeway. (I can't believe I just typed that sentence. Back where I come from, buying corn on the cob from a grocery store is sacrilege).

Anyway, if someone could point me to a farmer's market or stand selling corn in the area (and yes, I would drive miles for great corn, so location isn't a factor). Although, east valley would be preferable, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:25 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,062,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Having grown up in Wisconsin, and being a recent transplant, one of the (few) things I figured I'd miss about Wisconsin when I moved to Arizona was really good corn on the cob. When asking people about the availability of corn down here, most answers were along the lines of, "Yeah they grow corn down here. But it's mostly feed for cattle." What?? How about feed for humans?

Pretty much everywhere you go in Wisconsin you see farmer's markets, roadside stands, etc., selling corn. Here? Not so much. Let me rephrase that. Not at all.

I do have to say we had some pretty tasty corn yesterday from Safeway. (I can't believe I just typed that sentence. Back where I come from, buying corn on the cob from a grocery store is sacrilege).

Anyway, if someone could point me to a farmer's market or stand selling corn in the area (and yes, I would drive miles for great corn, so location isn't a factor). Although, east valley would be preferable, if possible.
Yeah, because it was growing everywhere. Here we have oranges and corn comes as chips or tortillas.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,126,701 times
My fry's seems to always have corn on the cob. I eat it regularly.

Also, check the downtown Phoenix farmers market every Saturday morning.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,249,410 times
I don't go to the farmer's markets often, and perhaps often at the wrong times of year, but I think you will have a hard time finding a lot of corn there. It won't be local (from Phoenix area) more than likely, but instead from a bit further north. What they grow here that looks like a corn field is maize, which is cattle feed.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:46 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,174,329 times
Whatever you do...do not pull over on the side of the road and buy corn on the cob from a Mexican with a pickup truck bed full of it. When we first moved here, my in-laws were in town and I pulled over and bought some corn on the cob out of a pickup bed. Got it home and cooked it and it was NASTY. Later figured out it was feed corn and not for humans.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,044,423 times
There is a farmer's market in downtown Gilbert, every Saturday. Not a ton of produce, but lots to sample - bread, honey, salsa, jerky, sweets, etc.

You can also pick your own sweet corn at the Freeman Corn Patch - 945 N Center (Center and Brown) in Mesa. It is great!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM

6,662 posts, read 4,961,957 times
There's a farmer's market every Thursday in downtown Chandler. I think it ends at 6pm-7pm. There's usually a good variety of produce, although I can't recall if they have sweet corn.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,236,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post

Coming from Iowa, I KNOW good corn Back there we DID buy from the grocery store because it was delivered daily from local farms. It was the same stuff sold at the roadside stands for almost half the price. Corn here will never be that good. NEVER. (You could eat the stuff raw it was so good)

BUT, that being said, sweet corn season in Iowa was short. Usually from about the 4th of July-ish to the end of August-ish (depending of the weather, rain, etc). In the meantime I would buy Colorado corn (the grocery stores always posted where it was from) or Georgia, from the grocery etc and it wasn't bad. I have found the corn here to be about like that. Not bad, but not GREAT.

I'd be interested to try some from a farmer's market to see how it compares. Anyone know if the stores here get it from local farmers like we did in Iowa?

And while on the subject...NEVER buy the frozen on the cob stuff. That's just nasty.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,943,887 times
You can usually get the good stuff at AZ farmers markets in the fall when it is in season here. It is not in season here for the summer, so you won't find it right now. I think nationally, only 10% of corn fields are for human consumption, the rest are for animals and fuel.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,236,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
You can usually get the good stuff at AZ farmers markets in the fall when it is in season here. It is not in season here for the summer, so you won't find it right now. I think nationally, only 10% of corn fields are for human consumption, the rest are for animals and fuel.

That's right! The corn on the cob we eat and the rest are not the same. When you drive through Iowa and see corn fields, that's not "eatin' corn." LOL The sweet corn we eat on the cob has a higher sugar content.

Corn growing season is different for different areas of the US. I think we would start to see Georgia corn in the early summer, maybe even late May or so. That was usually the first build up to the "real" stuff (the local Iowa stuff) late in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area