Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:42 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Fine, but calling it no man's land makes it seem like it's in an abandoned lot all by itself. There are plenty of other businesses right there and some very good ones at that. No one ever said it was the entertainment Mecca of the valley.
Punk kids from Central High can be awful scary for our Scottsdale bubble residents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 06:06 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Punk kids from Central High can be awful scary for our Scottsdale bubble residents
Parts of Scottsdale are very nice, most of it is pretentious, and some of it is quite a bit nastier than the area around George and Draqon's. At one point, there was talk of building a skyscraper on that lot, and notice that there is zero garbage on it, and the pylons they installed around the perimeter make it pretty clear to not loiter on it. That is not cheap land at all, but often, it appears that lot owners don't know what they are doing, but sometimes sit back for decades and make a killing. Looks like 2-3 million for the whole block right now....

Old 05-20-2016, 07:48 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
No, I think the space is vacant. The new burger place is in a different building, although nearby.
Confirmed this from the window of the train on my way home tonight. Fez's old site is still vacant. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if that building is eventually demolished to make way for something taller. The new Burger Rush restaurant is located in a former MacDonald's immediately to the south.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
I ride my bike down there all the time, theres nothing scary about it. Theres a BIG difference between scary and stupid. Some of the kids at Central act stupid. Ive seen them throw stuff at cars while they stand at the light rail station. Ive seen them give homeless guys problems over there, even prompting response from passers-by. Ive seen them all up in each others' faces, about to fight. Such a lovely crowd.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:46 PM

I agree, much more plain stupid, than scary. The test scores at Central will confirm that.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:59 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
At one point, there was talk of building a skyscraper on that lot, and notice that there is zero garbage on it, and the pylons they installed around the perimeter make it pretty clear to not loiter on it. That is not cheap land at all, but often, it appears that lot owners don't know what they are doing, but sometimes sit back for decades and make a killing. Looks like 2-3 million for the whole block right now....
There have been plans for years to build highrises on the numerous vacant lots in the north Central Corridor, but none of them have come to fruition. A proposal is just a proposal, and means nothing until something is actually built on the property. This is why I'm skeptical about the Macayo's property. I've seen all too often where existing structures are vacated or torn down to make way for something bigger & better, but then the bottom falls out for whatever reason, and the lots sit empty for what seems like an eternity.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:18 AM

I saw someone pay 105 million usd for 25,741 sf of vacant land in Singapore a few days ago. There is a lot of potential in Phoenix, but I've never seen any Mayor do much at all to promote international tourism/business. Sheriff Joe gets all the press. Maybe a nice Mormon Temple to enhance the PHX skyline?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:23 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I saw someone pay 105 million usd for 25,741 sf of vacant land in Singapore a few days ago. There is a lot of potential in Phoenix, but I've never seen any Mayor do much at all to promote international tourism/business. Sheriff Joe gets all the press. Maybe a nice Mormon Temple to enhance the PHX skyline?
Be grateful for Stanton, Phoenix had a history of mayors advocating against the downtown area in favor of sprawl *cough Hance.

Stanton, although pretty meh, has atleast put Downtown on top of his priority list.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:43 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Be grateful for Stanton, Phoenix had a history of mayors advocating against the downtown area in favor of sprawl *cough Hance.

Stanton, although pretty meh, has atleast put Downtown on top of his priority list.
Is he behind all the "we believe in PHX" banners I see all around downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area