Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:05 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times

Advertisements

Apartments could replace Macayo's pyramid on Central Avenue in Phoenix

Quote:
Developer Wood Partners is proposing a 225-unit project on Central and Indianola avenues, according to plans filed with the city of Phoenix. The 3.31-acre site includes the restaurant and vacant land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 04:15 PM

2,787 posts, read 7,448,732 times
I'm usually not fond of seeing historic buildings demolished, but that faux-Aztec behemoth on Central is an eyesore that I won't miss at all. With no windows and a hidden door, it does nothing for efforts to make Midtown more walkable. It sounds like the Macayo's new restaurant being planned across the street will be a return to the original design of Macayo's with a patio and more presence on the street. I can only hope the food improves with the move.

Last edited by exit2lef; 05-13-2016 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 07:33 PM

416 posts, read 588,271 times
While I don't think Macayos will be a big loss (they're pretty awful), I'd be irritated that there are even MORE "luxury" (ha ha) apartments. The light rail has wrecked - or chased off - a lot of businesses downtown (along Central and the Washington/Jefferson corridor), both blue and white collar, and their attempt to appeal to young professionals and turn DT Phx into a quasi-east coast style upper crust island full of yuppies and DINKs will, as usual, fail.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
While I don't think Macayos will be a big loss (they're pretty awful), I'd be irritated that there are even MORE "luxury" (ha ha) apartments. The light rail has wrecked - or chased off - a lot of businesses downtown (along Central and the Washington/Jefferson corridor), both blue and white collar, and their attempt to appeal to young professionals and turn DT Phx into a quasi-east coast style upper crust island full of yuppies and DINKs will, as usual, fail.
I'm all for "luxury" apartments. Enough luxury apartments and you can get new apartments for cheap. Let's bring that supply up, folks!

I don't like the pyramid either. I've eaten at that particular Macayo's location a couple times and I hated how the entrance was in the back, the inside felt rather gloomy... I'm glad to see the building going away.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:50 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
I think it's great personally. So long as we can maintain character and distinguish neighborhoods from each other.

Like most people I'm usually incensed when developers plan to demolish a piece of history, but that Macayos sucks and the building adds no value to the area.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
I think this is good news.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I'm usually not fond of seeing historic buildings demolished, but that faux-Aztec behemoth on Central is an eyesore that I won't miss at all. With no windows and a hidden door, it does nothing for efforts to make Midtown more walkable. It sounds like the Macayo's new restaurant being planned across the street will be a return to the original design of Macayo's with a patio and more presence on the street. I can only hope the food improves with the move.

It's been years since I've been to that Macayo's but your description is right on. It IS an ugly place and it IS dark inside but the food used to be very good. Sorry to hear it no longer is. So, it isn't moving away entirely but just across the street? Agree, hopefully it's a better and nicer place...with better food!

Old 05-15-2016, 12:02 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Tear it down. The top of the building is currently tagged with graffiti and has been for several weeks. Why haven't all the people who care so deeply about this "historic" structure helped the owners paint it over? It's a joke. It's like people here who are into historic preservation don't care how much of an eyesore an old building may be. It is all about just ensuring that it's still standing. On top of the building not being historic, it's hideous, and the food at this location is nothing more than pure slop. Tear it down by dawn.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 AM

2,787 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
So, it isn't moving away entirely but just across the street? Agree, hopefully it's a better and nicer place...with better food!
Yes, the plan is for Macayo's to move its Midtown location across the street into a building now occupied by Toyowest Automotive. It's on the southeastern corner of Central and Indianola. Once renovated, that building will have patios and windows, something the current big box on the northeastern corner lacks. As for the food, Macayo's recently updated its menu in Scottsdale. I haven't tried the food there since the change, but it seems a little more contemporary. Maybe they'll do the same thing with the menu at the Midtown location, although contemporary doesn't always mean better.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Macayo's represents everything evil about bland, artery-busting Meximerican food in the Valley. Macayo's must have some serious kitchen magicians working 'round to clock, because they somehow manage to make a 3000+ calorie plate of food taste like nothing more than a mirage of Mexican flavors.
That's what the New Times said when naming Macayo's the worst Mexican restaurant in the Valley back in 2012.

Top 10 Worst Mexican Restaurants in Metro Phoenix | Phoenix New Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area