Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,753 times

Advertisements

I recently lost my husband of 25 years. I am from WA state but lived in Scottsdale/ Paradise Valley in the 90's with my husband. We loved it there very much and always wanted to retire back there. Unfortunately I will be going back without him. I am very tired of living in Wa, it is dark and depressing here and I need a fresh start. Family is very important to me. My youngest is starting high school and older ones are in college. I would love any advice on family friendly places to live and groups or areas that would be supportive of a younger widow and family. Also my youngest is a very talented artist and extremely smart so which high schools would be best, do you think?
I appreciate any advice! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 AM

16 posts, read 16,632 times
I am so sorry for your loss! I do not have an answer to your question as my wife and I are still looking to move out there but I couldn't help but chime in to just pay my respects. I hope everything turns out well for you and your kids and that you'll find peace. Stay strong!!!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:20 AM

576 posts, read 831,016 times
tkelly, that's class, to make your first post on this forum one of respect. I share your condolences for Momo.... that has got to be tough.

Momo, I too hope that your new start and the memories of your husband will provide you with the strength you need at this difficult time. There is hope and the days will slowly get brighter.

As far as recommendations, it would be helpful to know a few more details, such as your budget, what size of a place are you looking for, etc. Also, do you have a preference of what part of the city you would like to live in? Do you want to be back in the Scottsdale / PV area, or are you open to considering other parts of the Phoenix metro area?

You probably know that there is a huge price difference depending on where you live in the valley. There are also huge differences in the schools, although since I do not have kids, I can only speak in general terms about that. If it is possible, you may want to consider renting for a year or so to give yourself time with "feet on the ground" to find the ideal place for you.

Best wishes!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:50 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
So sorry for your loss Momo333 - I think you're making a great move - nothing beats sadness than sun practically every single day! Scottsdale has a great 50+ active crowd makes you stay young and there are several good arts programs for your daughter. Like someone said above, it depends on your home requirements and budget - beautiful 2-3 bedroom condos start in the 200ks and apartment rentals for 2bedrooms start at $1k/mo

Last edited by smoochaz; 05-22-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 PM

519 posts, read 582,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo333 View Post
I recently lost my husband of 25 years. I am from WA state but lived in Scottsdale/ Paradise Valley in the 90's with my husband. We loved it there very much and always wanted to retire back there. Unfortunately I will be going back without him. I am very tired of living in Wa, it is dark and depressing here and I need a fresh start. Family is very important to me. My youngest is starting high school and older ones are in college. I would love any advice on family friendly places to live and groups or areas that would be supportive of a younger widow and family. Also my youngest is a very talented artist and extremely smart so which high schools would be best, do you think?
I appreciate any advice! Thanks
Again sorry for your loss.

You say "recently". Obviously that is a relative term, but I applaud you for seeking opinions first. A loss such as a spouse is life changing to say the least; and so, it is important to make any significant decisions (which moving certainly is) from a position of thoughtful reason and not out of emotion.

Sorry do not have specific AZ advice.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:45 AM

39 posts, read 43,452 times
I've been in East Valley for a decade. As in all places, there are good and bad sections. You can find crime statistic maps on the web.

I was in a bad place the first few years. But it was the very edge of the East Valley. East Mesa is a nice place if you are north of Main Street. It isn't as expensive as Scottsdale...Although, if you can afford it, Scottsdale has a really low crime rate. I suppose it depends on your means. Expect to pay $200k plus for housing. Not as much as some places, but, I'm still reeling from $250k for a fixer-upper.

Condolences and best of luck.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,753 times
Thank you so much for your condolences and advice. It means a lot to me as I haven't realized how alone I sometimes feel. My husband was a cancer survivor, unfortunately it came back and took him in less than a year. It has been almost a year since his death and I now know I must start the moving on process as he also wanted this. I will carry him in my heart. I want to do what is best for my daughter and one of my kids also attends ASU. I am open to any place that has a supportive family orientated and safe community, good schools and making new friends. I loved Arizona and I always remember having no problems making new friends. I do not have much of that in my current area, it is very cold in many ways. My income has been about $2,100 a month. I am looking to rent initially maybe a one or two bedroom condo. Eventually my goal is to start a business down there and help others like myself. I especially would love to help veterans as my husband was an army vet and he was very proud of it.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo333 View Post
Thank you so much for your condolences and advice. It means a lot to me as I haven't realized how alone I sometimes feel. My husband was a cancer survivor, unfortunately it came back and took him in less than a year. It has been almost a year since his death and I now know I must start the moving on process as he also wanted this. I will carry him in my heart. I want to do what is best for my daughter and one of my kids also attends ASU. I am open to any place that has a supportive family orientated and safe community, good schools and making new friends. I loved Arizona and I always remember having no problems making new friends. I do not have much of that in my current area, it is very cold in many ways. My income has been about $2,100 a month. I am looking to rent initially maybe a one or two bedroom condo. Eventually my goal is to start a business down there and help others like myself. I especially would love to help veterans as my husband was an army vet and he was very proud of it.
So sorry for your loss. I think you will find what you are looking for here. If you had no trouble making friends here before, you won't now, either. Being involved at your daughter's school, volunteering to help veteran's groups, etc., will get you integrated into a new community here quickly. Renting, at least at first, is a good idea, and you don't want to end up living too far from where you work , as commutes here can be long.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I also want to pay my respects. I am very sorry for your loss and that you express not feeling supported where you are.

I think asking questions about locations and community is a very good start when considering any move. I would also suggest that you personally visit the area prior to finalizing any long distance move.

Things in most communities anywhere can change drastically in that amount of time. And with a tight budget it will be imperative that you make the right choice for your destination.

The main page of city data has a search option that will give you tons of info relative to any town/city. That and online communities can be very helpful.

I would also suggest online grief and loss communities to help you. There many. http://www.operationwearehere.com/Fa...onSupport.html

You are a strong capable woman may the Lord bless you and yours always.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Sorry for your loss. I cant imagine the heartache you must be enduring, but take solace that sooner or later you will find peace. Best of luck in your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area