Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 4,967 times

Advertisements

Hello I am looking for a new state to live in when I get out of the military my wife and I are currently in California and are from Utah.

I am going to school for cranes,excavators and dozers. So what is the construction industry likeout there ?
I networked with somebody who said that construction is always going on in and around Phoenix.

I have been looking at Las Vegas as well but I am finding that Arizona has good weather all year and is even cheaper than Vegas.

What are good areas to look for houses to rent and areas to try and stay away from ?

were looking for places for about 800 but can go up to 1200 needing a yard and fence for our dogs.

Thank you for your time and hope I can get some info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 AM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
First, thank you for your service!

I have no direct knowledge of the construction industry here, but I would think there would be great demand for experienced operators of the kind of equipment you are studying. There are several huge freeway projects in progress and scheduled for the future. The city is growing like crazy, so there are always new houses and buildings going up. So I gotta believe you could find work.

As far as areas to avoid, in general, and in my opinion, you can take out a map of the Phoenix metro area, set a compass for about 8 miles and stick it on the I-10 / I-17 intersection near McDowell and 19th Ave. Draw a circle and that is your keep out zone! Of course there are exceptions within that zone.... It's just an easy and quick way to begin your search.

Most houses have block fences, so should not be a problem finding that. I'm not real up on rent prices, but it seems like you might be challenged to find a good neighborhood for $800. Your $1200 figure might be more realistic. I would suggest you get on the net and start doing some serious searching for rentals to get a feel for the prices. Find several that look like they could work and schedule a trip here to check them (and their associated neighborhoods) out.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
My understanding is that the construction industry in AZ does not pay very well. I do know that it is VERY expensive to excavate due to the ground being so hard so that may also be a hinderance to your prospects. I would look at indeed and see what's out there and also salary calculators to see what the two areas offer.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:57 AM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
Construction seems like it pays less out here. Most of the municipal jobs go to minority companies because of the way the city bidding goes.

Maybe look at waste management as there are a bunch of landfills out here, or freeport mcmoran up in morenci or miami (mining)

If you like phoenix, as a veteran, try for a city equipment operator job with phoenix, mesa, tempe, avondale, glendale, scottsdale, etc. could also look at ADOT.

Also look at APS or SRP - they are utility companies that have canal and right of way maintenance too.

Are you NCCO certified?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:07 PM

7 posts, read 4,967 times
Thank you so far for the input.

After school I will be NCCO certified and have my A CDL license to drive the cranes my self as well.

so I looked at a salary website and AZ for Cranes pays as much as Vegas and Salt Lake 40-45k a year

I make about 50k a year right now in the military and to live in Utah I need to make about 30k to have the same life style as I do now in California for AZ I need to make 33K a year to have the same life.

But in Arizona on indeed im finding alot more construction jobs I am also finding alot more houses to rent that allow dogs.

Utah in the WHOLE state on craigslist and this app I have on my phone there is maybe 20 places to live and most are apartments that have what im looking for in my price range.

Phoenix has close to a hundred places on top of being able to work year around unlike Utah due to snow.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
First, thank you for your service!

I have no direct knowledge of the construction industry here, but I would think there would be great demand for experienced operators of the kind of equipment you are studying. There are several huge freeway projects in progress and scheduled for the future. The city is growing like crazy, so there are always new houses and buildings going up. So I gotta believe you could find work.

As far as areas to avoid, in general, and in my opinion, you can take out a map of the Phoenix metro area, set a compass for about 8 miles and stick it on the I-10 / I-17 intersection near McDowell and 19th Ave. Draw a circle and that is your keep out zone! Of course there are exceptions within that zone.... It's just an easy and quick way to begin your search.

Most houses have block fences, so should not be a problem finding that. I'm not real up on rent prices, but it seems like you might be challenged to find a good neighborhood for $800. Your $1200 figure might be more realistic. I would suggest you get on the net and start doing some serious searching for rentals to get a feel for the prices. Find several that look like they could work and schedule a trip here to check them (and their associated neighborhoods) out.

Good luck!
There are ALOT of exceptions to your keep out zone, you basically recommended the guy live in far north Phoenix or the suburbs. As someone who lives near 24th St and McDowell, I can tell you that of the area you recommended to avoid, that you can remove at least 40% of it from the keep out zone.

True areas to avoid are everything between the Salt River and Dobbins Rd, everything west of 15th Ave between McDowell and Dunlap, everything west of 7th Ave between Madison St and McDowell, and everything east of 28th St south of Oak St.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 AM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There are ALOT of exceptions to your keep out zone, you basically recommended the guy live in far north Phoenix or the suburbs. As someone who lives near 24th St and McDowell, I can tell you that of the area you recommended to avoid, that you can remove at least 40% of it from the keep out zone.

True areas to avoid are everything between the Salt River and Dobbins Rd, everything west of 15th Ave between McDowell and Dunlap, everything west of 7th Ave between Madison St and McDowell, and everything east of 28th St south of Oak St.
I respect your opinion.... that was why I prefaced my remarks with "in my opinion". Everyone has different wants and needs (not to mention tolerance levels). Also, I was factoring in more than just the neighborhoods, but also things like traffic. We all know what a mess I-10 can be.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

Your areas to avoid are at least in part too broad. EVERYTHING west of 15th from McDowell to Dunlap? No. Everything east of 28th south of Oak? Depending on how far east you mean, no there, too.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Your areas to avoid are at least in part too broad. EVERYTHING west of 15th from McDowell to Dunlap? No. Everything east of 28th south of Oak? Depending on how far east you mean, no there, too.
I mean within Phoenix city limits, so 56th St&Papago Park would be the eastern boundaries there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area