Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,355 times

Advertisements

Black single female over 40, moving from Ohio to the Phoenix, Arizona area. What are the best area's to buy a home?l(looking in Litchfield Park and Goodyear area). What are the chances for women of color in the dating scene, who is open to all cultures? How is the outlook for jobs, for a graduate level RN in upper management?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM

346 posts, read 338,926 times
Why those areas? They are for old folks and the mini van crowd. Look at central Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe, and South Scottsdale. Glendale probably most bang for you buck. RNs are in demand here just plan on working reasonably close to where you want to live. Dating is all over the place .... just depends .... supposedly men outnumber women here but it's not hard being a single guy here if you get my drift

Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,355 times
Well, I was looking at those area's d/t the nice newer large homes. I will be in Phoenix on July 9th, to get a feel of the city and look at the homes in these area's. However, I will take you're advise and see what they have in those area's. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 PM

408 posts, read 580,496 times
Focus In on Tempe and Central Phoenix. There's going to be ample more going on than what occurs in the West Valley. If you so happen to get a job in Goodyear/litchfield Park you would be reverse commenting going against traffic heading downtown.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Chandler and Ahwatukee are known for their affluent African American population. A lot of former athletes (Cardinals players especially) live in these areas because the training facility is there. A lot of the players' wives are professionals and they continue to remain in the area. A lot of African American physicians in particular practice in that area.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:17 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Chandler and Ahwatukee are known for their affluent African American population. A lot of former athletes (Cardinals players especially) live in these areas because the training facility is there. A lot of the players' wives are professionals and they continue to remain in the area. A lot of African American physicians in particular practice in that area.
Second this. We live in Chandler and before that we lived in Ahwatukee. My girlfriend is half black (I'm white) and is working on getting into the medical field. My dentist is in Chandler and she is also black. I know you didn't explicitly mention wanting diversity, but I mention it because coming from Silicon Valley where she blended in with everyone, my girlfriend's concern upon moving here was significantly less diversity than what she was used to. We first ended up in east Mesa and there was definitely not much, if any, diversity there. But in this area where Ahwatukee (southeast Phoenix), Chandler, and Tempe all come together, there seems to be enough diversity here to alleviate most of her uncomfortableness.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Just look for a safe and fun area instead. Phoenix isn't segregated by race, people live together, all people. Being a black female won't mean anything to many people. Just inquire about the things you're looking for.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 PM

576 posts, read 830,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Just look for a safe and fun area instead. Phoenix isn't segregated by race, people live together, all people. Being a black female won't mean anything to many people. Just inquire about the things you're looking for.
Totally agree... I would focus on a job first, and then find something close to that. If you are looking to buy before you find a job, well that would obviously negate this approach, but you might consider renting until you find a job and that would also give you more time to get the lay of the land.

Dating is a huge question mark for anyone, because there are so many factors involved. Once you are living and working here, you will have opportunities to meet people and you can also join clubs, volunteer, etc. I am in that boat right now myself!

Old 06-02-2016, 05:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Don't commit to an area in which to live until you get a job. Maricopa County is the same size as the entire state of New Jersey. Just as you wouldn't live in Newark and work in Atlantic City, you wouldn't want to live in Goodyear and work in Gilbert. Personally, I'm single and I wouldn't live in the West Valley.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 AM

576 posts, read 830,321 times
Jukesgrrl, I'm curious why you wouldn't live in the west valley. What is it that you do not like about the west valley? I really haven't spent a lot of time in the east valley, so I'm wondering what I am missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area