Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
To me, the bigger story here is the fact that AZ DOT did not explain in their press releases why this section of roadway was being closed. If it is true that it is to film a movie, then this smells like a cover up. Not very transparent. I wonder why people don't trust their government?
Smells like a cover up? Not everything is a conspiracy. (mod cut)

ADOT announced the closure...gave the time when it will be back open. Why would they say 'Hey it's closed due to a very popular movie franchise being filmed there!" and possibly drawing more drivers to the area to check it out? I've already seen on other forums people talking about trying to get access to the area to watch the filming.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-10-2016 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 03:25 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't have a medical marijuana card, haha.
You should get one.

Quote:
I just saw that miles of Loop 303 will be closed for almost a week starting tomorrow for filming of a Transformers movie. Thousands of working people will have their commutes disrupted and thousands more travelers will be routed miles out of their way wasting both gas and time. We don't pay taxes to turn our roads into movie sets. They are for transportation. I've never heard of this sort of thing before. Am I alone in thinking this is inappropriate?
Quote:
74It's not an easy detour. There is the exit at the freeway, then a few miles to 74, then the light at74, a couple more lights on Carefree Highway, the interchange delays, and then back south again if that is where you are going. All the lights will be backed up. This is two lane blacktop, through truck traffic. It is a major inconvenience. It's closed for 5 days! It doesn't matter how much they are charging. The purpose of our highways is not to make money by renting them for private events.

Stretch of 303 closed for Transformers filming | KSAZ
Quote:
There is no expected backup at those lights on a normal day. Traffic is backed up at all the choke points to a near standstill. There is no justification for closing down a freeway to film a movie. None.
Quote:
Multiply that by thousands of cars over 5 days and it is a real cost to the people who use that route. The time is worse than the money. Traffic is backed up all along the route now. Just because it does not affect you is not a justification for it. It is wrong and if it were a road you used, you would be complaining too.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:53 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
A major inconvenience for those that rely on the 303. Especially just for another terrible Transformers flick. Once upon a time Arizona was a filming location for The Searchers, The Gauntlet and Electra Glide in Blue...now this.

This closure is a great excuse to reach out to your elected officials. Let your voices be heard.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times
I'm on that road often and live very close to it, and more times than not it is just as easy, if not easier to take Happy Valley across or Carefree highway.

I see MAYBE 4 cars on this specific stretch at any given time. It's hardly an inconvenience compared to the embarrassing time they have taken to finish construction at the US60 intersection or the fact that the 303 has been paved and wide enough for 4 lanes for a few years now, yet they still have 5 miles of one lane 45mph traffic on it.

This is literally a non issue for myself and many others in the area that I've talked to. In fact, I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of an autobot this weekend haha.

And people wonder why Arizona gets skipped over for movie sets and studios head from California to New Mexico for desert and western type scenes.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:45 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
Relax, everyone will be fine plus it's for Transformers!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Why can they find a portion of Phoenix freeway that is still under construction and use that?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:32 PM

594 posts, read 698,211 times
Great job Phoenix !
For flexing your desirability muscle befitting of the 6th largest city in these United States of America. Bravo to the individuals responsible for brokering this deal. Instead of small town thinking and negotiating, Hollywood came with the ' Kingdom ' before and Transformers now. First, IT tech has found her way to the Valley, now Hollywood is finding her way here too. BRAVO ARIZONA...BRAVO.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
This just doesn't bother me. Road construction doesn't bother me. Car crash delays don't bother me. I have so much more important stuff to worry about. Maybe I'm in the minority with this but why sweat it if it's out of your control? Just put some good music on in your car and chill.
Some of us have jobs and don't have the luxury to "chill" and listen to music. My commute is longer than I like on a regular day...so all those who are affected by this and lose more of their time and money so someone else can get rich off a movie should be ok with it?

Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Some of us have jobs and don't have the luxury to "chill" and listen to music. My commute is longer than I like on a regular day...so all those who are affected by this and lose more of their time and money so someone else can get rich off a movie should be ok with it?
You're length of commute is no one's fault but your own, that's why when I worked locally, I lived only 10 mins from where I worked

Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I have a monster commute as well, so I'm sympathetic..... but this isn't really a commuting stretch, a heavily traveled stretch and the detour is onto another quick moving road in the outskirts.

The biggest impact will be this weekend with the pleasant crowd, although they all got there just fine a few years ago so even for them it isn't a huge impact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area