Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM

483 posts, read 665,562 times

Advertisements

This may be a stupid question...

Does it matter which side of the house your a/c unit is located? For example, ours sits on the south/west side and has direct sun hitting it all day. It seems to me that this puts more strain on the a/c unit. My thought is, if it were located on the opposite side of the house, in the shade for much of the day, it may run better. Am I off base here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 08:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
We have dual zone (2 units) on programable thermostats. Upstairs runs 78 during the day and 76 at night, downstairs runs 76 during the day and 78 at night.

Would love to turn it down to 72 but hate the $$$$ increase.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 AM

39 posts, read 38,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
83 in the day? Your bragging about that? I'd rather put a bullet in my own head than have to live like that.
Before I was married I would keep it at 80 for the low. I'm an AZ native so I get cold at anything below 76. Most days the only one home during the day are the dogs, they haven't complained to me yet...

Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 AM

394 posts, read 343,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post

Does it matter which side of the house your a/c unit is located? For example, ours sits on the south/west side and has direct sun hitting it all day. It seems to me that this puts more strain on the a/c unit. My thought is, if it were located on the opposite side of the house, in the shade for much of the day, it may run better. Am I off base here?
I don't think it's a "stupid question" - in fact, I'm curious now and glad you asked... Hopefully one of the valued sources here sees your post/question...

I'm inclined to think it does mater (somewhat) - only because the new-build I'm waiting on has specs that show "alternate pad" on the north side house house - where otherwise it would be in the rear, which faces north-west (with more west exposure)... If not due to sun, I'm not sure what other reason... I prefer the location regardless.

On a side note - does anyone have good recommendation for patio sun-shade... I need to mitigate some of the heavy western sun from glaring into livingroom. I realize there are a bunch of options, but I've never needed one and wonder if there's anything specific I should consider - or any particular brand & material that is better than another?...

Old 06-21-2016, 09:35 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
On a side note - does anyone have good recommendation for patio sun-shade... I need to mitigate some of the heavy western sun from glaring into livingroom. I realize there are a bunch of options, but I've never needed one and wonder if there's anything specific I should consider - or any particular brand & material that is better than another?...

I added sun screens to all my windows and it made a huge difference deflecting the sun/heat on my south & west facing windows and also my electric bill. They have 80% & 90% ( tightness of the weave ) I went with the 80% screens because they give you a little more air flow if you want to open your windows when the weathers nice. Christan's the owner and very helpful and very reasonably priced. I have a 1 story and she did all my windows (12) for just under $600.00. I didn't do the north windows because they never get any direct sun as I have a full covered patio along the back of the house.

https://ccsunscreens.com

I also bought a Coolaroo sun shade (95%) at Home Depot for the west end of my patio. Our patio table is there and it keeps the afternoon sun away but still lets light filter through. They have a few different stock sizes but you can also custom order which cost more $$. You can DM me if you have any other questions.

Coolaroo Walnut Cordless Exterior Roller Shade - 72 in. W x 96 in. L-460068 - The Home Depot

Old 06-21-2016, 10:40 AM

394 posts, read 343,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I added sun screens to all my windows and it made a huge difference deflecting the sun/heat on my south & west facing windows and also my electric bill. They have 80% & 90% ( tightness of the weave ) I went with the 80% screens because they give you a little more air flow if you want to open your windows when the weathers nice. Christan's the owner and very helpful and very reasonably priced. I have a 1 story and she did all my windows (12) for just under $600.00. I didn't do the north windows because they never get any direct sun as I have a full covered patio along the back of the house.

https://ccsunscreens.com

I also bought a Coolaroo sun shade (95%) at Home Depot for the west end of my patio. Our patio table is there and it keeps the afternoon sun away but still lets light filter through. They have a few different stock sizes but you can also custom order which cost more $$. You can DM me if you have any other questions.

Coolaroo Walnut Cordless Exterior Roller Shade - 72 in. W x 96 in. L-460068 - The Home Depot
Thank you good sir (or mam) - I appreciate the info

Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,488 times
Quote:
People that think questions are stupid are stupid people.
Quote:
The output side of your a/c system puts out air at a temperature of around 150 degrees even when it's below 100 out.

The temperature in the shade is somewhat less, but most of more comfortable feeling comes from the sun not hitting your skin.

It's most important for your evaporator(s) to be in an area that is well ventilated than shaded. The heat gain from being in the sun might only be a few degrees in the tubes where it counts.

From the standpoint of the person living in the residence is how close the evaporators are to areas where people are trying to have a conversation or listen to media, etc.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Bullhead City here and; my AC was def struggling last night. This morning around 7 it was 95F. Yowza!

Old 06-21-2016, 02:19 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
People that think questions are stupid are stupid people.The output side of your a/c system puts out air at a temperature of around 150 degrees even when it's below 100 out.

The temperature in the shade is somewhat less, but most of more comfortable feeling comes from the sun not hitting your skin.

It's most important for your evaporator(s) to be in an area that is well ventilated than shaded. The heat gain from being in the sun might only be a few degrees in the tubes where it counts.

From the standpoint of the person living in the residence is how close the evaporators are to areas where people are trying to have a conversation or listen to media, etc.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:13 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I have friends in older slump-block homes (not even big ones ~1500 sq ft) - that pay $500+ a month to keep them at 80-ish. They were built at a time when many of the buyers were snowbirds & just left in the summer, others were sold on the fact that we had a nuke plant & energy was basically "free" & others were perfectly happy with swamp coolers..

I'd agree though, I prefer 68 at night & compromise to 72 when necessary for marital harmony
Yikes! I have ours set at 75 at night and the wife complains she's freezing while I'm usually kicking off the covers. But even I'd freeze at 68. We do 77 during the day, sometimes I sneak it down to 76.

At the peak of the heat on Sunday, I noticed our thermostat was showing 80 with the set point at 77 and the compressor was chugging away. Upstairs was 77, set at 77 and the upstairs unit wasn't running at the moment. House still was comfortable even at 80 though.

Back in PA we used to keep the AC at 68-70 in the summer. Anything above that and the humidity would stay up and still be uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area