Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
With any luck, it will be an actual monsoon this year. With real rain!
Not just a couple of giant haboobs that blow through town, followed by a couple of clouds that drop maybe 36 or 37 drops of rain to mess up your windshield. Not to mention team coverage from every TV station in town... "Phoenix hit by MAJOR MONSOON STORM!"
I have a feeling it will be later. Normally I'm not such a bummer about it but for some reason, it just doesn't feel like we'll have a strong monsoon this year. Seems like we'll get the swell, the go around, and the dry lightning. Maybe a little mud, but no good downpours. Hopefully, I'm very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I have a feeling it will be later. Normally I'm not such a bummer about it but for some reason, it just doesn't feel like we'll have a strong monsoon this year. Seems like we'll get the swell, the go around, and the dry lightning. Maybe a little mud, but no good downpours. Hopefully, I'm very wrong.
TWC is predicting much above avg temps for July for AZ,NM,southern NV and CA, so probably looking at another July 09 (our hottest on record), first few days were humid with some rain, but then REALLY dried out and heated up!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Using Sky Harbors data from Wunderground.com, today was the 3rd consecutive day with an avg dewpoint 55+ (56 on Monday, 55 Yesterday, and 59 Today), so there we have it, Mon 6/27 was the start of monsoon season this year (over a week early, avg start is 7/6)

Old 06-30-2016, 07:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
According to my Facebook "on this day" it also started the last week of June last year.

Got stinky rain at my house last night.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:57 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
I've had 2 through rain showers this week. I'd say it's already underway.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Ive had rain for 3 consecutive nights in Scottsdale. Got POURED on last night, along with an intense lightning storm. Its humid as a mutha out, and overcast, too. Im actually digging this!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,774 times
Same up where I'm at Big Cats, I had a lot of lightning and some very heavy rain at 9pm and again around 11pm. Total of 0.41" at my house, pretty solid storm for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Using Sky Harbors data from Wunderground.com, today was the 3rd consecutive day with an avg dewpoint 55+ (56 on Monday, 55 Yesterday, and 59 Today), so there we have it, Mon 6/27 was the start of monsoon season this year (over a week early, avg start is 7/6)
Given I questioned your data yesterday I was going to tell you not to use Wunderground instead of the NWS, but I decided to look into why they were different since I assumed Wunderground was just pulling the raw data via computer straight from the NWS readings online, so why would they differ? Also, NWS forgot to post the dewpoints in their 6/29 summary so I had to look at the raw data anyway.

I only used the hourly readings as I believe that is what NWS uses (the 0:51 readings).

And, indeed, I found an average for 6/28 of 55, so I guess the NWS did the math wrong or wrote it down wrong or something when entering it into their climate summary for the day. That's more than a little concerning, but the final NOAA data doesn't seem to include dewpoints so I am not sure what else to do. I get the sense that maybe NWS-Phoenix manually calculates the dewpoints and tags them on to the end of the daily climate summaries since they know Phoenix people are interested in that stuff. This may explain why they forget/do not include that summary a few times a year (four times last year).

Anyway I looked at the raw data for the last three days and I matched their numbers for 6/27. So here is what the raw data says:

June 27 average dewpoint 56 (hi 64 lo 52)
June 28 average dewpoint 55 (hi 63 lo 49)
June 29 average dewpoint 59 (hi 66 lo 54)

Therefore I do believe the monsoon has started as of June 27 as per the dewpoint method at the designated site, Sky Harbor. It's really encouraging that we're getting so much rain already, even though the dewpoints aren't crazy high yet.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,240 times
I've seen several people post that Phoenix's definition of humid is not anything like the East Coast or Midwest. The dewpoint at Sky Harbor (67 degrees) is currently higher than dewpoint readings in Memphis (60 degrees), Jackson (65 degrees), and DC (57 degrees).

Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I've seen several people post that Phoenix's definition of humid is not anything like the East Coast or Midwest. The dewpoint at Sky Harbor (67 degrees) is currently higher than dewpoint readings in Memphis (60 degrees), Jackson (65 degrees), and DC (57 degrees).

Regardless of what the numbers say, it absolutely does not feel humid out there to me today. Nothing like where I grew up. This just feels "normal"

Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Regardless of what the numbers say, it absolutely does not feel humid out there to me today. Nothing like where I grew up. This just feels "normal"
Yeah, screw the facts, right?

Walking out the door this morning felt just as humid as anything I felt in Chicago. It was 87 degrees, with 60% humidity, and nearly a 70-degree dewpoint. I bought a new car last night and this morning I was transferring stuff from my old car to the new one, and within 2 minutes I was sweating so bad I literally had sweat running off the end of my nose. It was gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area