Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:09 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Gosh, there are so many better things to do in the city besides hiking on a trail anyway, that seems so retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
How about taking in a zoo, a museum, or a waterpark to kill an afternoon?
LOL. I really learned something with this post. Here I'm thinking that our trails are pretty nice. Then I read that some other person thinks using the trails is retarded, but thinks marinating in the diluted urine at a waterpark is a good way to kill an afternoon. It takes all types, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:42 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
LOL. I really learned something with this post. Here I'm thinking that our trails are pretty nice. Then I read that some other person thinks using the trails is retarded, but thinks marinating in the diluted urine at a waterpark is a good way to kill an afternoon. It takes all types, I guess.
Good point.

Thousands of public pools, hot tubs are swimming in filth - NY Daily News

Give me a hot hiking trail any day!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:38 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarJerry View Post
I know where your coming from but with all due respect that's your opinion. There are some who don't enjoy the things you mentioned, they instead would rather hike. Might not seem understandable to some why anyone would hike in 100+ degree weather, but who are we to judge?
Im with you 100%. Im the one who would rather hike than drive far, pay to park, pay entry fees, just to be surrounded by rude people and crowds. Im all about hiking and getting away from the daily grind to enjoy my peace and quiet that mountaintops can offer.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:17 PM

296 posts, read 364,149 times
One thing that struck me about the hiking deaths this year was that there was a woman that was young, in shape (personal trainer), had plenty of water, and a doctor in her hiking party and she still died in the heat. It is the height of idiocy to hike when it gets to higher temperatures.

I agree both with a "Stupid Hiker Law" AND posting prominent signs (either permanent or temporary.)

HIKING IN HIGH TEMPERATURES IS DEADLY TO HIKERS AND DANGEROUS FOR RESCUE WORKERS.
Hiking over X temperature is extremely discouraged.
X amount of hikers in extreme temperatures needed to be rescued.
X amount of hikers died last year in the Phoenix area due to extreme temperatures. Even experienced hikers with plenty of water have perished in the heat.

I was going to state that I wouldn't be for a ban on hiking in extreme temperatures, but if the lands are owned by the government (local or federal) they do have a right to close trails in extreme conditions. (Heat, cold, flood, etc...)

Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It's retarded when one of the biggest attractions in such a large city is hiking trails, and it's even more retarded to hike in extreme heat.

I mean seriously, is Phoenix lacking that much in big-city things to do?

Waterparks have chlorinated water like most swimming pools do, so most of that disgusting bodily bacteria is washed away and a non-issue.

I'd rather be in a fun waterpark knowing I'm not risking heat stroke than hiking on a hot dirty trail with a bunch of sweaty bodies pushing their limits to the extreme.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Im with you 100%. Im the one who would rather hike than drive far, pay to park, pay entry fees, just to be surrounded by rude people and crowds. Im all about hiking and getting away from the daily grind to enjoy my peace and quiet that mountaintops can offer.
Ah, too cheap to join a gym are we?

What do you find so peaceful and quiet about mountain preserve trails in the middle of a city that are usually crowded and dominated with the overhead noise of rescue choppers?

Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
One thing that struck me about the hiking deaths this year was that there was a woman that was young, in shape (personal trainer), had plenty of water, and a doctor in her hiking party and she still died in the heat. It is the height of idiocy to hike when it gets to higher temperatures.

I agree both with a "Stupid Hiker Law" AND posting prominent signs (either permanent or temporary.)

HIKING IN HIGH TEMPERATURES IS DEADLY TO HIKERS AND DANGEROUS FOR RESCUE WORKERS.
Hiking over X temperature is extremely discouraged.
X amount of hikers in extreme temperatures needed to be rescued.
X amount of hikers died last year in the Phoenix area due to extreme temperatures. Even experienced hikers with plenty of water have perished in the heat.

I was going to state that I wouldn't be for a ban on hiking in extreme temperatures, but if the lands are owned by the government (local or federal) they do have a right to close trails in extreme conditions. (Heat, cold, flood, etc...)
Well-written.

Because the mountain preserve trails are owned by Phoenix, the city government has every right to close them if they so choose.

Lucky for the hikers the city announced it won't close them for now so we'll probably be hearing more reports this summer about lamebrains on the trails getting lost and suffering from heat stroke.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,463,318 times
Phoenix will keep trails open in extreme heat, after hiker backlash

Good. Personal responsibility wins, nanny state loses. And good to hear most at the hearing felt this way. Let's hope they keep it this way.

Plus there's this logistical issue for those who want everything shut down on "hot" days:

Quote:
Board members questioned the logistics of trail closures. The department noted the difficulty of tracking hikers who enter the preserves from dozens of designated and unregulated entry points.
Now just add a stupid hiker law/have hikers pay for their own rescues and all will be where it should be.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:44 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Phoenix will keep trails open in extreme heat, after hiker backlash

Good. Personal responsibility wins, nanny state loses. And good to hear most at the hearing felt this way. Let's hope they keep it this way.

Plus there's this logistical issue for those who want everything shut down on "hot" days:

Now just add a stupid hiker law/have hikers pay for their own rescues and all will be where it should be.
Good they came to their senses.

Real problem, wrong solution.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,872,677 times
If people would just use common sense!
In my opinion it's to darn hot outside to even go to the grocery store so why heck would you want to go hiking or running
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area