Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 AM

109 posts, read 126,855 times

Advertisements

We might have an opportunity to relocate to Phoenix. I wanted to start researching just in case it happens.

What are the best suburbs around Phoenix ? I am looking for good schools as we have three kids ( 9 6 and 4) and a nice safe area. We are coming from NJ. I have never been to Arizona but I have been warned its hot. It looks gorgeous to me and we are looking for a change.

The job would be at n 27th Ave zip 85027

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 12:04 PM

397 posts, read 602,178 times
The first thing you need to understand about education in AZ is that we have open enrollment here as well as many charters. Open enrollment allows you to enroll your children in any school, that has space, in the state even if it's not your zoned district or school. Charters also practice open enrollment but some are very popular so spots are awarded through a lottery.

This gives parents more freedom to live where they want without worrying about the schools. However, I believe that it's best to live in a neighborhood with good neighborhood schools. Open enrollment does not guarantee a spot. Your children are guaranteed a spot at their neighborhood zoned school.

Second, not all charter schools are created equally. Many of them are worse than any public school. There appears to be little oversight here in AZ over charters.

The best charters (best being measured by test scores) are Basis and Great Hearts which both have very long waitlists. Also many parents do not like the Basis and Great Hearts approach.

The best school districts here are nothing like the best school districts in NJ. A quick comparison of the total spent per student makes that obvious. All of the schools here, even in the best districts and the affluent neighborhoods, are underfunded. And even the best districts in the most affluent neighborhoods are far more diverse than what you would find in affluent areas in the North.

Regardless, I believe it's still possible for children to receive a good education here. Parents here must be more proactive in seeking out the best options for their children. There are many different kinds of options here. The districts have schools for specific interests and well as schools that are more academically rigorous.

The best school district in AZ is the Chandler district which is not close to where you are going to work. Kyrene (south Tempe, parts of Chandler and Ahwatukee) is probably a close second.

You can check out the ratings on Great Schools to get a general idea about the schools and districts. Keep in mind that the scores are all pretty low because AZ's kids uniformly failed the new tests rolled last year. Our best high schools went from being rated 10 to being rated about 7 because of the new test.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:28 PM

Thank you so much for your reply ! I did not know that and it is good to know. I did read a lot about the charter schools and how long it was to get into them. I appreciate your help!

Old 07-02-2016, 12:45 PM

Someone else suggest deer valley and north Phoenix areas ??

Old 07-02-2016, 03:56 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgjmg123123 View Post
Someone else suggest deer valley and north Phoenix areas ??
If you want to be close to your work, I would look around that area. I lived in north Phoenix for years (Desert Ridge area) and find neighborhoods north of the 101 Pima highway to be quite safe; fairly new developments with nice schools.

I'm currently having my retirement home built in North Scottsdale, which I find to be quite nice.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Thx ! I am going to look into them

Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
The best school district in AZ is the Chandler district which is not close to where you are going to work. Kyrene (south Tempe, parts of Chandler and Ahwatukee) is probably a close second.
When you say something like that you really need to preface it with "In my opinion" or say "One of the best school districts". The issue is way too subjective to make a blanket statement like that, particularly when talking to someone out of state who has no context. Someone else could just as easily say Madison Elementary or any number of other districts.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:27 PM

397 posts, read 602,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
When you say something like that you really need to preface it with "In my opinion" or say "One of the best school districts". The issue is way too subjective to make a blanket statement like that, particularly when talking to someone out of state who has no context. Someone else could just as easily say Madison Elementary or any number of other districts.
Nope, sorry this isn't an "opinion." And it's not "subjective." The state ranks the school districts.

Now one could argue that the conventional method of measuring a school's performance is invalid and suggest alternative measures.

The "best" school district might not be the best school district for a particular child or family.

I read some article recently about how there is a disconnect between what parents think of the local schools compared to how they actually perform. Basically, most parents believe the school their children attend is above average. So it's just a matter of opinion, that one school is better than another.

That's a comforting lie.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Checkout the Arrowhead area. It's around 67th Avenue north of 101 freeway. Schools are fine (schools here are the same as NJ - the better ones are in better (read $$) neighborhoods. Arrowhead is upscale without being out of reach.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 AM

Ok thanks so much . I will check out arrowhead .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area