Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,954,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Terminals 3 & 4 makes it look a World class Airport.......

Terminal 2 makes it look a third world Airport.

I would say that between Terminals 3 and 4, the design looks much more better and sophisticated than DFW Airport. Its just that if your trying to connect to a flight in terminal 2 its terrible commute where you have to physically walk outside in the 100 degree heat and walk into that departure/Arrival area of that section questioning if your in the same Airport.
Funny thing is terminal 2 is a lot of the private charters - a lot of people with money going through there. It is kind of embarassing. You have to talk a golf cart to get to the ammenities in Terminal 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
I hate to break it to you but Phoenix is not even on most international tourist's radar. I love living here and the city provides a good standard of living for cheap, but it's one big boring, bland suburb from a tourist's perspective. Arizona's biggest draw is the Grand Canyon, which most people visit from Las Vegas. So the reason we don't have more international flights at Sky Harbor is due to lack of demand. I'm surprised we still have the BA flight direct to London although I'd imagine it's a bit expensive for most of us.
Dallas Texas built a phenomenal airport when it was not on anyone's radar. And it's not an international tourist mecca either. The airport helped grow their economy. The same with Denver. Part of the reason we don't recruit more companies is our airport is less than optimal. If we had more international and direct domestic flights, we could attract more companies. Dallas residents didn't think like Phoenix residents. They were proactive and used their airport to lure companies and business. They didn't say to themselves "Well we are just small city in Texas in the middle of nowhere not near near any harbors or coast line"

And we don't have to be an international tourist mecca to offer international flights. We have a large population and business community. We could serve our own population. Most Phoenix travelers have to take connecting flights and that is unthinkable for a city that will be close to 5 million in 2020

Old 07-14-2016, 03:54 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
What are your overall thoughts on Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport?

Do you think it's one of the best airports in the world?

What are some of your experiences at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport?
Its "meh". Not bad, not good. Just "meh".

One of the best airports in the world? Maybe for on-time arrivals, thats about it. Nothing else is world class about it.

Trying to drive through the airport as a shortcut, only to find a monster traffic jam, TONS of cops, and the place on lockdown because some psycho went running out of there. That was a fun commute home. What normally is 35 minutes, was almost 2 hours.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its "meh". Not bad, not good. Just "meh".

One of the best airports in the world? Maybe for on-time arrivals, thats about it. Nothing else is world class about it.

Trying to drive through the airport as a shortcut, only to find a monster traffic jam, TONS of cops, and the place on lockdown because some psycho went running out of there. That was a fun commute home. What normally is 35 minutes, was almost 2 hours.
The airport isn't supposed to be a commuter option. That said, I used it for that regularly in the distant past (pre-Terminal 4). It's just not a good idea any more. Too much going on (way more traffic than in the past) - easy to get stuck in there if there is a police situation or a wreck.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 PM

239 posts, read 724,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
In terminal 4, when you get down to the baggage claim level, you will see a sign telling you which carousel your bags are on, and there are announcements. In Terminal 3, I suspect it is the same, though I have not been in there in a while. Terminal 2 has very few carousels and few flights, it's easy to figure out. Which terminal you are in depends on which airline you are flying. American and Southwest are in 4, Delta and Frontier are the primary carriers in 3, and United and Alaska in 2. If you aren't on one of those airlines, let us know.
I'm going with Southwest, I'm guessing I'll have to go to Terminal 4. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2016, 06:48 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Sky Harbor is like my second home, for one I love that the Rail has connections to it, very handy. This is from somebody who hates flying.

Airport itself?
Pros: Restaurants are improving, some terminals are very nice, my flights rarely seem delayed, airport staff isn't the usual ride airport staff.

Cons: A little drab, old and boxy, carpet looks dingy in places, hard to get direct flights to some places. Terminal 4, what's with the chic restaurants can't a man just get a beer and some appetizers?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Cons: A little drab, old and boxy, carpet looks dingy in places, hard to get direct flights to some places.
It's a bummer that back in the late 80's, DWL Architects + Planners, Inc., who designed T4, decided to put a 6 level parking garage on top of it. While it's definitely convenient for travelers, architecture-wise it's horrible. I'm trying to think of the 70+ airports I've been to, both here in the US and abroad, where a huge parking garage is on top of the main terminal. You definitely don't see that in the newer airports being built today.

I don't know, what if anything, could be done to renovate T4, without removing the parking structure on top of it. I guess when they tear down T2 and decide to build a new terminal there, they can go more modern and have something a little more pleasing to the eye. I think the new 15-gate southern part of T3, will look really nice when it's done and more like the newer terminals/concourses being built around the country and the world.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,227 times
An airport is an airport to me. Sky Harbor is a pretty stress free experience for the most part and there's free wifi (thumbs up). I also like that the size of our airport is manageable and fairly easy to navigate. It's big but not overwhelmingly. One huge plus about our airport is that it's centrally located. Ever been to Denver's airport....yeah make sure you rent a car for the road trip downtown. We got it good here!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Ever been to Denver's airport....yeah make sure you rent a car for the road trip downtown. We got it good here!
Yes, the Denver airport is pretty far out there, but the new rail link to the downtown just opened in April.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Sky Harbor is one of the easier large airports to get around in, it can be busy and stressful at times but other airports are worse.

My only complaint is the three separate terminals, I wish there was just one big terminal with all the major airlines.

Skytrain has been a nice addition and it was needed a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area