Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:55 AM

524 posts, read 361,616 times

Advertisements

As I continue to scroll through the homes for sale, I am seeing that some have a garage and some have only a "carport". Here in Upstate NY, its most desirable to have a garage. This helps keep the vehicles out of the blustery winds in the winter and provides a place for yard equipment. (snowblower/lawn mower etc.) Also provides some place for DIY projects. Wondering what are the thoughts and/or preferences of the folks that live in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
I still prefer a garage here but keeping your car out of the blistering sun is priority #1. A carport 2ill of course do that but you'll be lacking storage for home equipment, I personally limited my search to houses with garages or carports I could easily convert to a garage.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
Carports aren't that common as far as I can tell. You'll only find them in some older homes. Garages are far more common and much more desirable for obvious reasons. You can't storage items in a carport because of the open concept (i.e. theft).

Old 07-17-2016, 07:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Carports aren't that common as far as I can tell. You'll only find them in some older homes. Garages are far more common and much more desirable for obvious reasons. You can't storage items in a carport because of the open concept (i.e. theft).
We were targeting south Scottsdale at one point and almost every house there seemed to have a carport, some had already been converted to garages. I believe those homes were from the 50's and 60's. It seems like by the 70's most middle class single family homes had garages, just my observations from an extensive home search 2 years ago. We also wanted to stay close to the city and preferred block over wood frame/stucco construction.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
The one advantage of a carport is you are likely to actually put your car in it. A lot of people here seem to fill up their garage(s) with junk and then park in front of them.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:57 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
The home I grew up in (South Scottsdale, Allied Homes) was a block home with the carport in the back, built in 1960. From the street he home did not look like it had a carport or garage at all. It was inconvenient so we only parked on the street or in the driveway. Some of the models had out-front carports, but only one converted garage was on the street. Newer homes (after ~1970) seemed to start having enclosed garages.

They were tougher to keep clean after a monsoon. Which was one of my chores as I got older.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Think about it . . .

To those common Street Thugs roaming the neighborhood looking for trouble, nothing screams "No One Is Home" more than an an empty carport.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:15 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
A carport would suck...can't secure your car in the garage. Always dusty from being outside. No place to store things that you don't want others to have access to like you can in a garage.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:40 AM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Only single advantage I see with a carport is you don't get the heat being trapped you do when you get home and pull a hot car into a already warm garage let it bake in there for 2 hours. Most people converted their carports to garages on older homes which ins't that expensive.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
A lot of people convert their carports, but more often than not they are converted into extra indoor/living space, not actual garage space. I lived in a rental house once that had done this. You parked in the short driveway or on the street, period. I understand people's desire for interior living space but I hated not having a garage, I am one of those people who just hates parking outside -- the less time my cars spend in the sun and dust, the better. Garages are great for both general storage and parking cars although PBenjamin is absolutely right that garages often end up full of junk or shop space or what have you and the cars end up outside. This is not solely restricted to smaller homes...I've seen people with three or four car garages that are so full of storage totes and shop equipment and what have you, that all their cars have to stay outside 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: